Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U.S.-built bridge is windfall � for illegal Afghan drug trade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

"It's an issue of money," Mohammed said, to the nods and grins of the small group of truckers gathered around him near the bridge at Nizhny Panj. "If you give them money, you can do whatever you want."

Well I can backup that one myself some way personally anyway as I was working some years ago in Afghanistan for a (very short) time.
    There was (or at least there was from my own experience...) a lot of smuggling operations that went on through one of the border posts in Tajik - I've attached one of my own pics at the time showing the post itself, it's the small white looking group of buildings in the middle right of the picture. I was a fair bit away from it at that stage though.

Whether or not now that whole thing is a conspiracy is another matter. Smuggling happens all over the world and the people in that particular area of Afghanistan (North Eastern) have (in my own opinion anyway) little or nothing better to grow for themselves to make money from other than opium poppies and/or smuggling - there is so much more profit from a field of poppies than there is from any other crop and the Afghan government do not control these regions (not that they'd care much about it anyway).

I honestly, in my own opinion and from personal experiences in the region and with US forces there past and present, would not and do not believe the US have any hand of profit or otherwise in any of these smuggling operations.
    The country is huge and the borders are by and large invisible.
    If anything, I'd say the drug trade is mostly operated and profited by the Taliban and Al Queda because if the Northern Alliance are profiting from it, they are hiding their wealth very well and those border regions and surrounding area's with Tajik are mostly controlled by the NA.
    I've attached another pic looking down upon the small village run by the leader of the NA in one of the most heavily fought area's near Tajik where the Taliban were run out of it by the US forces - as you can see, it is by any means, impoverished to say the least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Well its fairly well documented at this stage that the CIA are one of the big players i the Drugs business.

This bridge mat also have military strategic importance, but one would assume that the drug trade was known before the Bridge was built, and yet it was greenlighted, possibly to boost the economy of Tajikistan, or posibly as a premis to an ocupying force, steppin away from the War of Terror and back to the War of Drugs

Advertisement