Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EB Driving Test

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Fey! wrote: »
    I did my EB test this (frosty) morning.

Missed one of the road signs. 232085.gif

As a matter of interest, what is that sign?? does that mean the verge is soft or is that an indication of water, I cant really make out what the car is falling into??? I haven't seen that sign and I have just looked through two rules of the road books and still cant see it??
    Silvera wrote: »
    That seems to be the case....all trailer tests must include a weight on the trailer during the actual test. (Though I thought that this was not coming into force until June 2013? A read of www.rsa.ie would clarify)

Schools which do EB lessons -

Leinster School of Motoring
    http://leinsterschoolofmotoring.ie/jeep-and-trailer-or-horsebox-driving-lessons/

Irish School of Motoring
    http://www.ism.ie/driving-lessons/car/jeep-and-trailer

Thanks, I'll look them up, I need to see if my learner permit is still in date, maybe if it is, I might be able to get it extended, I think year extensions are added if you have applied for the test, I'm still unsure if I need the theory test or proof of having passed it?? I dont think I did one for an EB, but I did one for motorbikes years ago.
    I'll check what it says on the learner permit for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

The sign means 'soft verge'.

You wont need to do a B Theory Test if -

- You already passed the B Theory Test, and
    - Your Permit/Provisional isnt expired over 5 years.

I passed my B test in 1992 so never did a B theory test. I did C theory test in 2003 and passed C test. Took out EC provisional, it expired in 2005, so had to re-sit C theory test recently to gain EC Learner Permit. If I decide not to do the EC lessons/test and just go for the EB instead, I will have to sit a B theory test - as the theory test didnt exist back in 1992. So, it's not always straightforward!

Silvera wrote: »
    The sign means 'soft verge'.

You wont need to do a B Theory Test if -

- You already passed the B Theory Test, and
    - Your Permit/Provisional isnt expired over 5 years.

I passed my B test in 1992 so never did a B theory test. I did C theory test in 2003 and passed C test. Took out EC provisional, it expired in 2005, so had to re-sit C theory test recently to gain EC Learner Permit. If I decide not to do the EC lessons/test and just go for the EB instead, I will have to sit a B theory test - as the theory test didnt exist back in 1992. So, it's not always straightforward!

Ok, I got my B licence in the mid ninties, just checked the (current)learner permit (that I got when I had different vehicles added, in case they allowed not doing theory tests associated with having the learner permit previously)
    expired 10 days ago, I was focused on passing the bike test last year, but I want to do the EB and C1. I dont think the EB should be a problem really as I try to keep the bad habits away.

I'm sure I haven't done a theory test for the B, but I must have done one for a C and A as I had them on the permit too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭DriversEd

the C and B theory test are different Merch, so you'll likely have to do a B theory test.
    Depending on where you are based, i can help you with a trailer and lessons, I'm in wicklow, but we could meet up I'm sure.

Good Luck either way!

DriversEd wrote: »
    the C and B theory test are different Merch, so you'll likely have to do a B theory test.
    Depending on where you are based, i can help you with a trailer and lessons, I'm in wicklow, but we could meet up I'm sure.

Good Luck either way!

I just looked up the theory test website, it looks like the B and W theory test is the one and covers the EB learner permit, my learner permit is just out so it does look like I will have to do a theory test first, get the learner permit and apply for the test, As I kept up the EB on my learner permit last time I renewed.
    Im based in South Dublin, if you want to say here or by PM where in Wicklow (north/south) you are based let me know, I was pricing around and another poster gave me some names of places.
    It will probably take me a little while to get the test and permit sorted, but its something I would like to have on the licence.
    Im not too concerned about a test, just get pointers on the trailer as I try to keep my driving good and fend off the bad habits.
    I have some experience driving rigid trucks, vans and driving a vehicle thats like a forklift towing and pushing stuff, but it'd be good to maybe get a few lessons on the trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Merch wrote: »
    Ok, I got my B licence in the mid ninties, just checked the (current)learner permit (that I got when I had different vehicles added, in case they allowed not doing theory tests associated with having the learner permit previously)
    expired 10 days ago, I was focused on passing the bike test last year, but I want to do the EB and C1. I dont think the EB should be a problem really as I try to keep the bad habits away.

I'm sure I haven't done a theory test for the B, but I must have done one for a C and A as I had them on the permit too.

If your going for C1 it'd be better to do C, lessons are roughly the same and no point restricting yourself. The maybe look into EC, again for more options though not sure about lesson cost for EB v's EC but there are more schools doing EC than EB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭DriversEd

i'm in Wicklow Merch, so we could sort something if you like.
    as for del2005's point on the EC route, the costs involved in EC training can be prohibitive. its much cheaper to go the BE route if thats all you need. he/she's spot on with the C class license instead of the C1. i think they should phase out the C1 altogether!

Del2005 wrote: »
    If your going for C1 it'd be better to do C, lessons are roughly the same and no point restricting yourself. The maybe look into EC, again for more options though not sure about lesson cost for EB v's EC but there are more schools doing EC than EB.
    DriversEd wrote: »
    i'm in Wicklow Merch, so we could sort something if you like.
    as for del2005's point on the EC route, the costs involved in EC training can be prohibitive. its much cheaper to go the BE route if thats all you need. he/she's spot on with the C class license instead of the C1. i think they should phase out the C1 altogether!

I agree about the C/C1, thing is, I feel a very competent driver, and I felt confident driving the rigid trucks for lessons before, but I did the test on the northside (dont know area really, plus traffic was mayhem) and failed, just wasn't my day.
    I'd like to do it again, but cost is an issue, so C and EC likely be out for a good while if not indefinitely. I thought to be on the safe side try the C1. I've been driving years, I drove some rigids long before the CPC came in using a learner permit (but it wasn't on public roads), and have driven a variety of other vehicles.
    Still, I prefer to be prepared and have pointers for trailer towing.
    I need to arrange a theory test and a new licence for a start.

I did C lessons and test in 2003 (without any prior rigid truck driving experience).

I now plan on doing EC lessons/test, partly I suppose to get EB on my licence too. (If I find driving an artic truck tricky around the city I may do my B theory test instead and go for EB lessons/test.)

There are deals going atm re EC lessons...approximately €500 for a certain amount of lessons and use of the truck for the test. (I'd reckon it would cost me c.€300 to do EB lessons/test)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Go for the Artic Silvera, as you've already said if you pass you'll get the EB automatically. And from your previous posts I think you have your heart set on the ole EC!:)

I was going for mine after I passed my C test 3 years ago but my instructor retired, probably due to me wrecking his head! So like yourself I've put the EC test to one side as I don't know who to take lessons with...? I passed my bike test in the meantime though so not all's lost!

• Advertisement

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Go for the Artic Silvera, as you've already said if you pass you'll get the EB automatically. And from your previous posts I think you have your heart set on the ole EC!:)

I was going for mine after I passed my C test 3 years ago but my instructor retired, probably due to me wrecking his head! So like yourself I've put the EC test to one side as I don't know who to take lessons with...? I passed my bike test in the meantime though so not all's lost!

i still plan to do the EB, but after reading this i think i will try the C again, EC would be out for a good while and dependant on passing the C test, so i just wont make those plans.
    Any recommendations for places doing C licences, any deals there? it would probably be later in the year though.

Faith+1,
    Thanks for the encouragement! I will be giving the EC (or is it now C+E?) lessons a go later in the year. Hope I can find a good instructor to do the lessons?

Merch,
    I did my C lessons/test in Naas and found it ok. I used Maynooth School of Motoring (the instructor would meet me in Naas for the lessons - I usually did so on a Sunday morning).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭leex

Doing my EB test next week and checked out location of Tuam driving test centre this evening. There are parking spaces outside where applicants can either back in or drive in towards building. What is the correct procedure for parking a car and trailer at a centre? My guess is I should park nearby - parallel to edge of roadway (in the estate test centre is in) as long as it appears safe to do so and there is no double yellow line etc. Is this ok?

Also - I see mention in some places of needing a 4x4 for the test? Is this necessary? I drive a 2001 reg car - can I use this?

leex wrote: »
    Also - I see mention in some places of needing a 4x4 for the test? Is this necessary? I drive a 2001 reg car - can I use this?

It depends on the size of the trailer (i.e. gross vehicle weight) and the towing capacity of your car. You also need a trailer of a certain size/dimension to take the test. I would suggest that you check the details on - www.rsa.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

What type of car is it and what is the towing capacity of it. Also have you added the required weight to the trailer?

Motor-Ed wrote: »
    What type of car is it and what is the towing capacity of it. Also have you added the required weight to the trailer?

1.6 Nissan Primera - towing capacity is around 1.4 tonnes approx.

Trailer is typical agri car trailer with closed in box of roughly 8'2" x 4'7". It doesn't have an official GVT and RSA confirmed I didn't need a trailer with one stamped on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

1.6 Nissan Primera - towing capacity is around 1.4 tonnes approx.

Trailer is typical agri car trailer with closed in box of roughly 8'2" x 4'7". It doesn't have an official GVT and RSA confirmed I didn't need a trailer with one stamped on it.

Here are the specs needed for the test. Do you meet it?
    BE

A combination, made up of a Category B test vehicle which should be either (a) a length of at least 4.25 metres, or (b) a 4 wheel drive vehicle, and a trailer with a design gross vehicle
    weight of at least 1,400kg. but not exceeding 3,500 kg., capable of a speed of at least 100km/h, which does not fall within Category B. The cargo compartment of the trailer must
    consist of a permanent, closed box body which is at least as wide and as high as the motor vehicle, and have a length of at least 2.4 metres. The closed box body may also be slightly
    less wide than the motor vehicle, provided that the view to the rear is only possible by use of the external rear-view mirrors of the motor vehicle. The trailer must be presented with
    a real total mass (the actual weight of the trailer including the necessary load) of at least 800 kg., having due regard for safety, stability, manufacturer’s guidelines and legal limits of
    the combination.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Here are the specs needed for the test. Do you meet it?

Yes - my car and trailer appear to exceed those lengths. Does the weight added have to be concrete blocks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

Yes - my car and trailer appear to exceed those lengths. Does the weight added have to be concrete blocks?

Yes 30x4 inch solid concrete blocks distributed evenly across base of trailer

Apologies for resurrecting an older thread, but...

To continue the (my!) EC v's EB saga ;) ....

I recently took two EC lessons (with two different schools/instructors) and between not being too keen on either instructor - and finding the reversing part a bit tricky - I've decided to go for the EB test instead :)

(It was originally my plan to do the EC (mainly) in order to get the EB category).

I reckon the EC would have cost me c.€1200 by the time I finished (if I passed first time!) compared with approx €500 the EB should cost me in total.

I've applied for the B Theory Test (I passed my B test in 1992, and took out an EB provisional many years later) therefore I need to do the B Theory Test before I can get my EB Learner Permit.

I've already been in contact with a driving school in KE to ask about lessons. All going well I will have my EB Permit before Xmas and can book the EB lessons/test in January :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement