Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planned Moon Bombing

Options
  • 24-06-2009 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

I dunno if I have to make a different thread for this or what so mods can decide.

Any options on this news report? http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/7216/56/
    The planned October 9, 2009 bombing of the moon by a NASA orbiter that will bomb the moon with a 2-ton kinetic weapon to create a 5 mile wide deep crater as an alleged water-seeking and lunar colonization experiment, is contrary to space law prohibiting environmental modification of celestial bodies. The NASA moon bombing, a component of the LCROSS mission, may also trigger conflict with known extraterrestrial civilizations on the moon as reported on the moon in witnessed statements by U.S. astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong, and in witnessed statements to NSA (National Security Agency) photos and documents regarding an extraterrestrial base on the dark side of the moon.
    “There, acting as what the Ames team calls its "shepherding spacecraft," LCROSS will guide an empty Centaur rocket weighing two tons toward its target. The rocket will crash into the crater at 5,600 mph, creating a new crater - perhaps as large as 5 miles wide. The crash is scheduled to occur Oct. 9.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Split into a new thread.

BlackWizard, as the person who brought this up I'd love to hear your ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I dunno if I have to make a different thread for this or what so mods can decide.

Any options on this news report? http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/7216/56/
    The planned October 9, 2009 bombing of the moon by a NASA orbiter that will bomb the moon with a 2-ton kinetic weapon to create a 5 mile wide deep crater as an alleged water-seeking and lunar colonization experiment, is contrary to space law prohibiting environmental modification of celestial bodies. The NASA moon bombing, a component of the LCROSS mission, may also trigger conflict with known extraterrestrial civilizations on the moon as reported on the moon in witnessed statements by U.S. astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong, and in witnessed statements to NSA (National Security Agency) photos and documents regarding an extraterrestrial base on the dark side of the moon.
    Ok, 1. LCROSS isn't a weapon. 2. It won't create a crater that big. 3. There is no such law. 4. If there was such a law this mission wouldn't violate it as it is not modifying the environment of the moon. 5. No such "witnessed statements" exist. 6. Neither do photos showing extraterrestrial bases on the moon.

It's a rather silly article in my opinion.

I like how the quote from Apollo 8 "There is a Santa Claus" has a hidden meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

''Space Law''? Best of luck to however got the job of enforcing that B film.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Lensman enforces it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Seems to more a voluntary code of conduct, rather than actual laws

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

If they were planning on bombing the moon, wouldn't it be better to use a bomb?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Sleipnir wrote: »
    If they were planning on bombing the moon, wouldn't it be better to use a bomb?
    Or just not announce it as part of your most published mission of the year.

may also trigger conflict with known extraterrestrial civilizations on the moon

I just love that quote. Yes, there is a/are civilization(s) on the moon. How can people believe this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Dam Talons still trying to bio engineer us to fight there wars.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

OK so they are bombing the Poles, but isnt it very difficult to land at the poles, compared to equatorial regions.

Are we gonna see anything from the 'Dark Side'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

has anyone pointed out that this comes from the Macedonian news agency?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Grimes wrote: »

I just found it somewhere.. I wouldn't normally read that news site.

It's also here http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/19/moon_mission_launch/
    and in a few other places.

I'm sure the moon has had bigger rocks hit it compared to NASAs little rocket. But still, I don't like the idea of doing this too the moon. I think it should be treated more like an archaeological dig or world heritage site.

I'm okay with them blowing chunks out of it. Or even mining. But I think all space agencies should agree to it and a for full study done on the location before hand, so they don't actually destroy anything interesting.

I'm sure the moon has had bigger rocks hit it compared to NASAs little rocket. But still, I don't like the idea of doing this too the moon. I think it should be treated more like an archaeological dig or world heritage site.

I'm okay with them blowing chunks out of it. Or even mining. But I think all space agencies should agree to it and a for full study done on the location before hand, so they don't actually destroy anything interesting.

An archaeological dig? We don't treat the entire surface of the earth as an archaeological dig and there's far more interesting things on it, yet we should on the moon?

How would you do a "full study"?

Grimes wrote: »

I think most of us moticed that, but a quick google brings up more reputable sources, seems fairly lear that this is happenin

Well they're definately doing it. No doubt about that.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LCROSS/overview/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

An archaeological dig? We don't treat the entire surface of the earth as an archaeological dig and there's far more interesting things on it, yet we should on the moon?

How would you do a "full study"?

Yeah that is true. We tend to building houses all over the place. But I'm nearly sure before we build on top of land that it is surveyed and if anything is found the construction can be stopped. I just thought I read that a few years ago. Might not be true.

I just get a bad vibe off the idea of letting another country freely create 5mile wide craters on the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm an idiot.

Yes you are. perma-banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

If its gonna visable from earth its gonna be dam intresting to c. Even a bit scary.

the thing is probably gonna be linked to twitter :D:D

I cant wait til they start broadcastin youtubery of the event, shame its not a manned mission, course that would be a bit difficult seein as they plan on crashin the spaceship into the moon:eek:

I'm sure they'ds still getvolunteers tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

this very topic is in the docu 'moon for sale' in the thread alien moon base.
    i dont think its anything to fear, but that doesnt mean their isnt a conspiracy. anyone that holds an interest in the sky at nite should keep a close eye on the moon

Advertisement