Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are the Dell XPS 1730s really worth their price tag?

• 13-02-2009 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

I am getting ready to buy a new laptop and have been looking for a quick and easy purchase.

been a long time since i bought or even looked up a laptop so am a bit out of the loop on specs ans stuff.

XPS were always a good machine iirc and the 1730 seems to be well kitted out. Just wondering do any of the decerning members of boards have any experience with them and if so are they worth the 2kish price tag.

I am looking at it as a destop replacement for basically gaming and some office-y work. Along with some website design etc. Basically nerdy goings on. :)

Reading reviews is great but anyone have some hands on stuff for me.

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

There was a whole bunch of them going on ebay recently for a lot less than the Dell price (refurb models), and from an Irish seller. Might still be a few.

They are extremely expensive, but they have sold plenty, so presumeably some people have a need for them. The main reason you'd buy one is for the graphical grunt, 2x8800M GTX is pretty powerful. And they have 2 HDD bays, so there is a lot of scope for RAID setups, or putting a SSD in for your system drive etc.

Mainly it is the GPU power that is the selling point. And fast GPUs in a laptop are never what you would call 'good value', doubly so for a SLI setup (you're paying for two €700 cards and only getting a modest % increase in performance). So you would only by it if you really needed/wanted the performance, and if you had the money obviously :pac:

ATI are catching up to Nvidia right around now, so I probably wouldn't bother with the M1730 at this point. The Mobility HD4850 is out now and is matching 9800M performance for about 1/3 the cost, and the HD4870 will be out in the next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Whatever you do don't go for an XPS M1710 (not available new in any case but some still crop up on Dell outlet) lots of "issues" with the GPU!

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement