Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

the galaxy -X class

Options
  • 24-05-2003 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

i was thinking about that ship today (yes i am really that sad)

and it came to me that seeming the galaxy has been proven to be pritty worthless defence wise maybe most of the galaxy class ships left after the war where refited with the brand new cannon technology broght back from the delta quad with voyager ........

(remember the ep where seven thought she was shot and nano probes taken from her by a weapions dealer ......... he installed a massive cannon to the front of voyager)..........

or maybe a fed only design as a front line warship to combat the romulan scimitar seeming the scimitar is far more powerful that a klingon nagvar (the flagship) and we all saw what the Galaxy X did to 2 of them so one galaxy X should be able to hold her own again one scimitar and seeming starfleet has far greater resourses their will always be more Galaxy X,s than scimitars ..........

then at some point later on when the Fed develope transwarp the third warp pylon was added in order to allow her to pass warp 10

i dont know it seems likely to me and kinda clears up the whole idea of such a uber-ship in the fed fleet that so many seem to hate the idea off

what do you thing ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

your lack of knowledge of warp travel is astounding :) transwarp has nothing to do with passing warp 10 :p

AND a third WARP NACEL would do very little to improve over all performace ... they never explained why they could suddenly reach warp 13, as we learned from voyager exceeding warp 10 can have unpleasent side effects :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

the warp scale was redrawn in that alternate timeline (wink wink Nudge nudge).

Warp 13 is theoretically possible by the time of the events shown in all good things, all you need to do is mess around with the warp ratios and the intermix formulas to come up with a satisfactory flow control mesh that would allow warp travel at those velocities.

plus the events shown in the voyager episode where janeway and paris got it on as frogs after passing warp 10 would be based on the theoretical limit of voyagers engine design

regards

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ya god forbid i got the transwarp bit wrong lol :D

i ment what shizon said where passing warp 10 is basicly the same as passing the speed of light in the ST galaxy ie never sitting at the speed of light but jumping that barrier

and warp 10+ would be a type of transwarp just better
    and the extra few warp coils in the new warp plyon would help the warp feild be much stronger (i think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭MrGump

trans as a prefix means beyond so i think transwarp is a suitable description. But i agree that warp 10 should have a more clear/specific name? Suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

warp jimmeh

• Advertisement

hyperwarp :D

its faster that normal war so its "hyper"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by bizmark
    hyperwarp :D

its faster that normal war so its "hyper"

Sorry about being technical there guys, gotta stop reading dem tech manuals

shin

ya it really shows we have to much money when we spend 30 euro + on tech books about starships

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Spock

You can't skip a barrier, in order to get to warp 13 you must first pass warp 10, since warp 10 is everywhere at once you cant go to warp 13 at all, its just one of the many mistakes in star trek

Spock: Change the scale and you have warp 13. No? Yes? YES!

Anyway, as someone rightly pointed out warp 10 resulted in rapid evolution, thus was unsuitable for use, 13, which I believe was in All good things in the future, was perhaps developed to compensate for said defect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah the number of warp nacelles has no effect on the warp speed i don't think, sure the stargazer has four nacelles, and there is star ships with just one nacelle (can't remember the exact name maybe freedom class or something), yeah apparently the scale can be redefined and such to obtain warp 13 and the like, perhaps instead of saying they are doing warp 9.999999 they decided to use and increased factor of one for each extra nine (just a guess), i think in another thread stan showed a good link that showed different warp curves which allowed higher speeds (should be somewhere on the board)

the warp nacelles hold the warp coils to produce the warp feild so more warp coils would (i guess) produce a better or stronger warp feild allowing the ship to go faster

the only reasion the fed ships have 2 nacelles is their big anuff to have warp coils installed in pairs 2+2+2+2 etc up the length of the nacelles (and also gene roddenbery said all fed ships must have 2 nacelles the only one that didnt was the freedom class and they got away with it by useing a galaxy nacelle with has warp coils in pairs theirfore acting like 2 normal necelles):)

so a galaxy X with 3 nacelles would have a far far stronger warp feild allowing the ship to go much faster (either thats really warp 13 or just warp 9,9999999999999999999999999 on a different scales ) so if your only going .1 from the speed of infinity your really hauling ass makeing transwarp or slipstream look like a steamtrain and still stoping the crew from turning into lizards and haveing sex with the captian

so thats my sadness showen in all its greatness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Possibly the third nacel has to do with transwarp feel strength and power needs.

More stuff on warp 13:
    In 2270 it was realized that even this theoretical transwarp domain was only part of the whole structure. The theory allowed for an infinite number of such domains, each separated by a warp barrier. Throughout the early 2270's there was a huge effort to discover whether these transwarp domains where just theoretical constructs, or where actually real. In 2273 the Starfleet science vessel USS Wanderer conducted a subspace particle dissipation experiment which proved conclusively that not only did transwarp domains actually exist, but that under certain circumstances it was possible for matter to circumvent the warp barrier and pass into the transwarp domain.

Theoretical and practical studies quickly established that at a point infinitesimally past Warp 10, the warp factor exponent fell from infinity to zero and then began to gradually rise again. By Warp 11 the exponent reached 13/3, after which it mirrors the behaviour of the normal warp curve. A Warp 19 the exponent begins to climb, again reaching infinity at warp 20 to form the next warp barrier. The whole process is repeated again in the second transwarp domain, and again in the third, and so on. In each domain the 'steady' central value of the exponent increases linearly - from 10/3 in the warp domain to 13/3 in the first transwarp domain, 16/3 in the second, then 19/3, 22/3, and so on.

The transwarp scale:
    twspeed.gif

Y axis = speed (c)
    X axis = warp factor

Warp
    Factor___Equals (*c)____________Across Federation (8,000 ly)
    1_______1___________________8,000.0 Years
    2_______10__________________793.7 Years
    3_______39__________________205.4 Years
    4_______102_________________78.7 Years
    5_______214_________________37.4 Years
    6_______392_________________20.4 Years
    7_______656_________________12.2 Years
    8_______1,024________________7.8 Years
    9_______1,516________________5.3 Years
    9.1______1,573_______________5.1 Years
    9.2______1,649_______________4.9 Years
    9.3______1,693_______________4.7 Years
    9.4______1,757_______________4.6 Years
    9.5______1,828_______________4.4 Years
    9.6______1,909_______________4.2 Years
    9.7______2,044_______________3.9 Years
    9.8______2,304_______________3.5 Years
    9.9______3,053_______________2.6 Years
    9.95_____4,183_______________1.9 Years
    9.975____5,552_______________1.4 Years
    9.99_____7,912_______________1.0 Years
    9.995____10,553______________276.7 Days
    9.999____25,567______________114.2 Days
    9.9999___199,516_____________14.6 Days
    10_______Infinite - An object at warp 10 travels at infinite speed, occupying all points in the universe simultaneously

Transwarp
    Factor___Equals (*c)____________Across Federation (8,000 ly)
    11______32,561________________89.7 days
    12______47,474________________61.6 days
    13______67,156________________43.5 days
    14______92,588________________31.6 days
    15______124,852_______________23.4 days
    16______165,140_______________17.7 days
    17______214,756_______________13.6 days
    18______275,115_______________10.6 days
    19______347,749_______________8.4 days
    20______Infinite - An object at warp 20 travels at infinite speed, occupying all points in the universe simultaneously
    21______11,267,725____________6.2 hours
    22______14,440,680____________4.9 hours
    23______18,304,103____________3.8 hours
    24______22,968,182____________3.1 hours
    25______28,554,861____________2.5 hours
    26______35,198,530____________2.0 hours
    27______43,046,721____________1.6 hours
    28______52,260,814____________1.3 hours
    29______63,016,748____________1.1 hours
    30______Infinite - An object at warp 30 travels at infinite speed, occupying all points in the universe simultaneously
    31______2.79 x 10^9___________1.5 mins
    32______3.41 x 10^9___________1.2 mins
    33______4.14 x 10^9___________1.0 mins
    34______5.00 x 10^9___________50.4 secs
    35______6.01 x 10^9___________42.0 secs
    36______7.19 x 10^9___________35.1 secs
    37______8.55 x 10^9___________29.5 secs
    38______1.01 x 10^10__________24.9 secs
    39______1.19 x 10^10__________21.2 secs
    40______Infinite - An object at warp 40 travels at infinite speed, occupying all points in the universe simultaneously

Elaboration on Warp

Elaboration on Transwarp

So warp 13 is slower than warp 10.
    Redefineing a scale like so is stupid, like the kelvin, its a sub for celsius, 1 celsius = -273.15 kelvin.

Well Spock star trek is famous for redefining/changing things, for example Trills in DS9 are different to those in TNG. Also there is the obvious example of Klingons, they changed dramatically in TNG due to improvements in make-up, in DS9 they tried to cover it up (Worf saying they dont talk about why they changed) but back in Enterprise they look alot like Next generation Klingons !

And dont even get me started on time travel!!!!

:ninja:

There was a thread about the whole Klingon thing on another website, some people had some pretty good ways to explain it, but yes, as of yet ST havent.

Please, start on time travel, whats wrong with it

well the whole idea of time travel is a paradox isnt it ?

plus its a crapy story idea ....... every one knows the fed servived as we have seen 900 years into the future (the wells class)
    plus anyway the whole star trek use of time travel mostly just falls into the "destroy the enterprise many many times over" it was never done with intellagens

Now that i've got you started lets let it go wild....

How can they control when they go by flinging around they sun.
    Which came first the past or the future.
    How can you have a Cold War true time because if someone changed the past you'd change to so you wouldnt know it had changed

all good question
    How can they control when they go by flinging around they sun.

well they control the ships goin 2000 times the speed of light so more than likely that wouldnt be a great problum but how did they know what time they would end up in ? ..... it seems a bit hit and miss "yes captain lets fling around the sun that will do it !"
    Which came first the past or the future.

if their can be time travel then the past future and prestent would all exist at the same time wouldnt it ? i mean it wouldnt be a big deal to go to the future then the past etc
    How can you have a Cold War true time because if someone changed the past you'd change to so you wouldnt know it had changed

true if theirs no klingon empire to destory (remember the first enterprise eps) then why go back in time to destroy it in the first place ? damn time paradoxs real pain in the arse to understand

i never really liked the idea of time travel in st they only used it to destroy the enterprise a few times or show the federasion 900 years later etc

time travel makes for some real good episodes and films is why it is used so much, just look at st 4 and 8 and then episodes like trials and tribbulations, past tense and perhaps shockwave to name a few.

• Advertisement

but its so over used its annoying ........... remember that Tng ep where the enterprise was destroyed over and over and over by a 80 year old fed ship :o that was a bad one

trials and tribbulations wasnt good either showed klingons with smoothheads again and didnt bother explaning why they had smoothheads in that time line .....(also tos was crap)

i think the first episode you mention is cause and effect the one with the fraiser guy as captain, i thought that was done quite well not becoming over repetitive and was not really time travel but a casuality loop, with regards to trial and tribulations again nicely done i thought and the smooth-headedness seemed more of a joke at this stage especially with worf's comment that he didn't want to discuss it.

they should of explaned it ..... not just "we dont like to talk about it" i mean come on what happened to them ???????

well presumably it was budget constraints and make-up and timing etc. in TOS and then it could be put down in the series to some time of evolution, genetic manipulation or mutation or something, really ****s up the enterprise thing though

however a possible consideration could be this in archers time a certain, faction of klingons with bumpy foreheads are in power and the other smooth headed ones are not and are not seen, then there some type of revolution and the smoot heads get in power and then the bumpy ones are not seen, then the bumpy ones get back on power again in time for TOS movies (not gaping hole in this explaination due to kang or koloth or kor or which ever one it was that was smootheaded in TOS then bumpy in the episode of DS9 with the albino perhaps he got surgery to fit in after taking back of power by the bumpy heads)

i heard of the 2 speices one before it does make sence that 2 major races (romulans and remans for 2) would make up a empire if one fuges up the other,s will take over ..

i would of like to see smoothead klingons in command of the klingon fleet in archers time as it would have cleared up the "revolt" idea ....... the smooth heads not being able to stop the humans expanding and becomeing more powerful ...... the bumpy head,s take over and kill all smootheads because they remind them of their mortal enemys or force them to have cosmetic surgery

i'm not sure if the romulans remans are such a good example as presumably the remans where in that system when the romulans colonised it? hence giving the two species. there is no such mention of colonisation in the klingons history on kronos IIRC. which would mean that both species had evolved side by side not sure how likely this would be.

From a star trek book i'm reading at the moment, (books on the stargazer) there is a species called the gnarlish which consist of three sub-species each of which possesses a domiant trait, speed, strenght and brains in this case, this could be similar to the klingon example (which could be more violent in which the smooth heads where wiped out in typical klingon agressiveness)

I also read in a book which is notable in the series, you see romulans with high brows, and also some without i think, while vulcans typically don't have high brows, same base species two different types so to speak (but this could probably be put down to some evolution of the romulans and the vulcans on a different planet in there more recent histories.

i dont know about the reman thing but seeming the romulan icon/flag is made of a eagle (or some other bird of prey) holding 2 planet,s (romules and reman) in its talon,s .... kinda makes it clear the remans are slightly more important that the average empire colony

i really bouth the klingons could live close to anyother race on their planet seeming how unhostile we are compeared to the klingons and we still managed to wipe out a similer race to us on earth .Seems to me the klingons would win out on any such "race" war,s i really really bouth they would be made slave,s of

I wonder did the klingon alter themselfs to not look like the humans who they considered weak maybe the smootheads where the klingons before they had genticly mod themself,s

the romulans have been off vulcan for a very long time im sure some difference,s would show after a while

Advertisement