Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to buy a small van

• 13-12-2013 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hello I'm looking to buy a small van perhaps a Citroen berlingo or a ford transit connect. What would be the best van to get ? Pro and cons greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭oisinbutler

135man wrote: »
    Hello I'm looking to buy a small van perhaps a Citroen berlingo or a ford transit connect. What would be the best van to get ? Pro and cons greatly appreciated.

Hi, I've had 2 Berlingos and they're great little vans. They're easy on the diesel, drove form Dublin to Cork and back on a full tank and still had some diesel left over.
    I know someone that has a ford connect and he reckons its great too.

If I was to buy another small van it would be a berlingo hands down.

I'm looking to buy a bigger van now, not sure whether to get a Volkswagon transporter or something similar like a nissan primastar. I'd love to know if the volkswagon is worth the extra money? Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hi, I've had 2 Berlingos and they're great little vans. They're easy on the diesel, drove form Dublin to Cork and back on a full tank and still had some diesel left over.

That's only just over 500km. You should be getting nearly twice that from a tank :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Quazzie wrote: »
    That's only just over 500km. You should be getting nearly twice that from a tank :confused:

I was thinking it was a bit low too considering I did the arse end of Kerry and back in an old petrol Almera and had plenty to spare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Jesus. wrote: »
    I was thinking it was a bit low too considering I did the arse end of Kerry and back in an old petrol Almera and had plenty to spare

Lads there vans not cars they don't do 60mpg. 35-40 mpg is seen as very good for a van. There not as aerodynamic as a car even a small van and most lads put a good bit of weight in the back of them. If you want anymore than 40mpg you have to buy a car derived van.

Even at that though BP, there's something not quite right. Only 300-odd miles from a full tank in a small daysul van practically all of it Motorway driving?

• Advertisement

Even at that though BP, there's something not quite right. Only 300-odd miles from a full tank in a small daysul van practically all of it Motorway driving?

I suppose it depends on the fuel tank size as some of them only had 50 litre tanks. I know someone that drives a berlingo economically and they still only get late 30 mpg. So add abit of weight and if your driving them like most van drivers not economically then that's going to drop. There just set up differently to cars and mpg is not as big of a concern. Carrying heavy loads is the concern so they are geared differently. As with anything mpg related there is a lot of variables.

Bpmull wrote: »
    I know someone that drives a berlingo economically and they still only get late 30 mpg. .

That'd be mixed though would it mate? This guy was doing practically entirely Motorway. If it was an auld petrol then maybe but I'd be concerned with such a poor return from a diesel to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Berlingo are reliable and easy on diesel, you'll have to burn it for a finish because you'll never get to the end of 1 of them, their like the hilux on top gear

That'd be mixed though would it mate? This guy was doing practically entirely Motorway. If it was an auld petrol then maybe but I'd be concerned with such a poor return from a diesel to be honest.

But most of them are 5 speed so at 70 mph on a they would be reving high and wouldn't necessarily be much higher mpg wise than mixed. But tbh all the poster said was they got 500km and had diesel left. Even at that your guessing 500km as they could have been driving well into cork. We don't know how much diesel was left how fast the van was going how much weight was in it. So how can you possibly say if it was good or bad. Km to a tank can be very misleading as vans can 45 litre tanks and they can have 90 litre tanks all depends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

A caddy is the best small van Imo.

Berlingos suffer from problems when they get older. Axle wear etc.

Also later berlingos are fitted with a 1.6 hdi which wouldn't be renowned for it's reliability.

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    A caddy is the best small van Imo.

Berlingos suffer from problems when they get older. Axle wear etc.

Also later berlingos are fitted with a 1.6 hdi which wouldn't be renowned for it's reliability.

I would actually agree with you on the caddys. As in work they have a good few 05-06 caddys. All over 200k miles on them. And the shear abuse they take and yet they just keep going and cause very little trouble . I was shocked when they told me they service them every 30k miles. Serious van they just keep going.

But tbh all the poster said was they got 500km and had diesel left. Even at that your guessing 500km as they could have been driving well into cork. We don't know how much diesel was left how fast the van was going how much weight was in it. So how can you possibly say if it was good or bad. Km to a tank can be very misleading as vans can 45 litre tanks and they can have 90 litre tanks all depends.

Then maybe he shouldn't have said it! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,868 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I've a Nissan Kubistar 1.5 dci 70bhp.

A miser on fuel. I did a run to cork from dublin and back and got just over 50mpg!!

185,000 miles on her now and i'm loathe to change as i don't know what i'd be buying. Bar a few niggly faults it hasn't missed a beat.

Lads there vans not cars they don't do 60mpg. 35-40 mpg is seen as very good for a van. There not as aerodynamic as a car even a small van and most lads put a good bit of weight in the back of them. If you want anymore than 40mpg you have to buy a car derived van.

I drive a caddy and get 1000km from my tank, every tank. Works out at 56 mpg.

Thats not heresay, its fact.

But most of them are 5 speed so at 70 mph on a they would be reving high and wouldn't necessarily be much higher mpg wise than mixed. But tbh all the poster said was they got 500km and had diesel left. Even at that your guessing 500km as they could have been driving well into cork. We don't know how much diesel was left how fast the van was going how much weight was in it. So how can you possibly say if it was good or bad. Km to a tank can be very misleading as vans can 45 litre tanks and they can have 90 litre tanks all depends.

Hey, its a 45ltr tank, carrying 2 people, a roof rack and a medium load in the back. The roof rack causes a lot of drag and it can get a bit loud at speed. Wouldn't like to say I was breaking any speed limits on the way to Cork city centre and back to Dun Laoghaire, so we'll just say I was sitting on the speed limit. Think it worked out at about €65 in diesel for the trip.

Recently did a job in Newbridge. From Dun Laoghaire via killiney (to pick up one of the lads and out to Newbridge and back again 3 times with the same kind of load in the van cost me a little under €40.

I'm quite happy with that performance guys to be honest!

I'd buy a caddy but need more space. Would it be fair to say that the transporter would be a good buy versus some of the other vans of a similar size out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Depends what you want to carry in it. I had a C4 van, lovely to drive and nippy enough, and getting circa 1000km to a tank

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Depends what you want to carry in it. I had a C4 van, lovely to drive and nippy enough, and getting circa 1000km to a tank

I figure 550k in the berlingo costs €65 in diesel. The berlingo tank is 45-50 ltrs. What size tank is in the C4?

Ah right I assume the caddy has a 60 litre tank and it's most likely brand new or the newer model with the 1.6tdi engine. In that case you would be getting that mpg but there is not that many vans doing that kind of mpg maybe there is when looking at brand new vans but older stuff was a lot less economical it's only in very recent years where manufacturers are focusing on making economical vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

I've been driving a 07 connect for work the last 3 yrs and while theres a great load space and the engine is lively enough, the handling is awful. It feels topsy and it gives no confidence going into corners even at appropriate speeds. havent any experience of others, but my brother has had 2 berlingos - 00 and 06 non turbos - and finds them good, he doesnt tow or do big mileage though.

• Advertisement

Ah right I assume the caddy has a 60 litre tank and it's most likely brand new or the newer model with the 1.6tdi engine. In that case you would be getting that mpg but there is not that many vans doing that kind of mpg maybe there is when looking at brand new vans but older stuff was a lot less economical it's only in very recent years where manufacturers are focusing on making economical vans.
    00 1.9 sdi with bear 200k miles on it.55L tank I think.

That's serious going.

Whats it cost to fill your tank, about €80-€90?

Whats it cost to fill your tank, about €80-€90?

€75-77 usually. Fill it every second week or so and I drive from Rochfortbridge to Newbridge five days a week.

€75-77 usually. Fill it every second week or so and I drive from Rochfortbridge to Newbridge five days a week.

Nice. Looks like I'll be getting the transporter so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I figure 550k in the berlingo costs €65 in diesel. The berlingo tank is 45-50 ltrs. What size tank is in the C4?

60 litre, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭135man

I think I'll be getting a berlingo they seem to be good talking to a lot of fellas that run them anyone have experience buying a van in the uk or the north ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭elvis99

How do ya go about getting them insured appropriately? Liberty wont even quote me on small van (insuring privately).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Id definitely agree with this, used to do massive mileage a week in a 1.9 TDI '09. I used to drive mine quiet hard and still managed 800-900kms per tank.

Only downfall is when the DMF goes but other than that its a great driving van.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

elvis99 wrote: »
    How do ya go about getting them insured appropriately? Liberty wont even quote me on small van (insuring privately).

I'm also interested in the answer to this.

Plus, how does tax work out if it's for private use, and DOE / NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭seano12

Opel Combo 1.7 DI

Very easy on diesel compared to Caddy
    Much more roomier than any Berlingo/Partner or Caddy

Only downsides is the 1.7 DI isn't the most powerful

Stay away from Vauxhall imports that might be ex fleet vans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

Berlingo is a grand little van,they have a 50ltr tank and i can get between 650 700 km out of it.On the motorway if you want to move anywere quickly your ticking over at 3500 rpm(nearly redlining it)doin 130kmh,its not aerodynamic and thus drinks it...if ya drive slower it will give you better mpg...ive done serious work on mine including head gasket but it never failed to start.I got the hg done cause i had extra cash and i want to put stupid miles on it(currently over 200k)

they are a bit heavy on front wishbone bushings but ive yet to do the rear axle that everybody else seems to have trouble with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

elvis99 wrote: »

I'm with zurich, a number of other companies won't touch small vans, I don't see what their problem is.:confused: Fcukers.

Advertisement