Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windscreen cracked for no reason

• 13-06-2011 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭

I got a new screen last October after a stone cracked the original one. On Saturday, the new one just cracked, starting at the bottom edge of the glass at the scuttle panel and cracked about 6" up the screen. Nothing hit it or anything. Ive never heard of such a thing happening. It was a very warm day but cant see that causing it. I wonder will screen company replace it free as I dont fancy claiming for another windscreen if there is something wrong with the one installed or the way they installed it.
    Anyone seen this before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Bought car new and hasnt been crashed or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

mickdw wrote: »
    Bought car new and hasnt been crashed or anything.

That's not what he asked though. It's possible, not likely, but possible that the panel could be out of shape from new. Or else it was messed with when the new screen was put on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Sound's like the screen could be defective to be honest. Screen expanded too much due to the heat and hadn't enough room to expand. So either not fitted correctly either way I would contact company who replaced it the last time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Pressure is the only thing that will cause it, Windscreen company won't do anything as it was done last october !!, if you have windscreen cover you are entitled to 3 screens per annum in most cases

Ricardo G wrote: »
    Pressure is the only thing that will cause it, Windscreen company won't do anything as it was done last october !!, if you have windscreen cover you are entitled to 3 screens per annum in most cases

You feel it is acceptable for a windscreen to fail after 9 months?

• Advertisement

Did i say that ?????????
    A windscreen can crack at any stage due to a number of factors, windscreen companies would be out of business if they were to replace every windscreen that cracked after 7/8/9 months. It is possible that the company used a cheap imported spurious windscreen etc etc. As Lightening suggested your trim may be putting pressure on the glass also

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Peter Sweeney

The smallest defect / chip at any edge of the windscreen can lean to cracking appearing shortly after fitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

windscreen companies would be out of business if they were to replace every windscreen that cracked after 7/8/9 months.

They shouldn't be IN business if they had to do that ;)

The smallest defect / chip at any edge of the windscreen can lean to cracking appearing shortly after fitting.

True, but you dont go back after 9 months in fairness to complain !!

Did i say that ?????????
    A windscreen can crack at any stage due to a number of factors, windscreen companies would be out of business if they were to replace every windscreen that cracked after 7/8/9 months. It is possible that the company used a cheap imported spurious windscreen etc etc.

Its certainly not a screen by the same manufacturer as was fitted originally.
    Its made by SHATTERPRUFE, which google tells me is south african.
    In relation to them replacing screens after a given time, if there is no stone or chip mark and the crack starts down at the screen edge, I think its reasonable to say it hasnt performed as expected. I will be getting on to them tomorrow anyway to see what they make of it.

• Advertisement

Its certainly not a screen by the same manufacturer as was fitted originally.
    Its made by SHATTERPRUFE, which google tells me is south african.
    In relation to them replacing screens after a given time, if there is no stone or chip mark and the crack starts down at the screen edge, I think its reasonable to say it hasnt performed as expected. I will be getting on to them tomorrow anyway to see what they make of it.

Worth a shot but believe me i fitted for these companies years ago and the chances of them fitting a new one for you is slim to none !! You may get an explanation as to why it happened but they will not accept responsibility, unless customers ask for a genuine screen a spurious cheaper version will be fitted first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

autoglass told me that any screen they fit is guaranteed for an indefinite amount of time, obviously it wouldnt cover stones breaking it or what have you but in you case i'd say they might do something

Autoglass fitted mine. I got them as Id heard stories of very good backup from them so we will see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Same thing happened me during the cold spell. The car was parked up for months and when the snow cleared there was a huge crack from the panel up the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

I currently have the same problem. Windscreen cracked in February for no know reason. I was surprised as the frost etc was over. For a full week the crack continued to spread across the windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 marzi

How did you get on Mickdw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

By any chance do you use a T-bar steering wheel lock ?

Many years ago I had an old Opel Corsa (1992) with a shallow dashboard.
    When I used to put the lock on the steering wheel, sometimes it would be a bit of a struggle to get the bar on to the dashboard. It would apply a certain amount of pressure on the windscreen. That cracked the windscreen on me once, not immediately, but overnight.

Update:

I went to give the screen a good clean around the edges before taking it in to glass company just so everything could be clearly seen. I was disgusted to find a very light score mark in the glass following the track of my wiper and the crack starts right on the line of the score mark.
    Im pretty annoyed. Wipers are perfect and were fitted at same time as the new screen before. Must have been a stone or something off the road although cant say that Ive ever noticed any noise or anything from the wipers.
    Sick.

Have you another claim left on your windscreen cover Mick???.

Ah ya I presume so. Just pretty annoyed with needing a new screen again and some of those fitters are careless to say the least.

• Advertisement

Ah ya I presume so. Just pretty annoyed with needing a new screen again and some of those fitters are careless to say the least.

I know what you mean. I heard a few bad stories here about a certain company which I had to use.

I just reminded them to do a good job and they did..

Advertisement