Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soild Fuel Boiler Stove to heat water

Options
  • 25-02-2014 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hi, am doing some renovations and thinking of installing a solid suel boiler stove in my living room Has anyone any experience/suggestions of stoves to buy to do the following:

1) Supply the room with 5Kw-6Kw of heat
    2) Heat the water in my hot water tank so guessing 2-2.5Kw output to boiler (no plans for it to heat radiators)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

Hi, am doing some renovations and thinking of installing a solid suel boiler stove in my living room Has anyone any experience/suggestions of stoves to buy to do the following:

1) Supply the room with 5Kw-6Kw of heat
    2) Heat the water in my hot water tank so guessing 2-2.5Kw output to boiler (no plans for it to heat radiators)

Cheers

Hi there,

Based purely on what you said, the Mulberry Joyce (http://www.mulberrystoves.com/products-joyce.html) boiler version. It has the capability of heating 1-2 rads too. Not sure how you will plumb it up to not include rads but thats the sort of stove you need for what you advised. RRP around €600-700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Hi there,

Based purely on what you said, the Mulberry Joyce (http://www.mulberrystoves.com/products-joyce.html) boiler version. It has the capability of heating 1-2 rads too. Not sure how you will plumb it up to not include rads but thats the sort of stove you need for what you advised. RRP around €600-700

Cheers for that - any idea where you can buy them - every website I look at they seem to be out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

How close is the Hot water Cylinder to the fireplace. You should get a survey done to make sure the set up is right for a Gravity system.

sky6 wrote: »
    How close is the Hot water Cylinder to the fireplace. You should get a survey done to make sure the set up is right for a Gravity system.

About 3/4 metres - will prob be getting a survey allright.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

Is it a 'slight variation' on this to heat kitchen and hot-tank (located a meter or so away, other side of cavity wall, in bathroom) with a solid-fuel burning range such as AGA or equivalent? The tiny cottage does not justify rads.

• Advertisement

Distance should be ok. Have you room for a cold water supply tank in an attic overhead.
    What your'e looking to do is install a Gravity fed system to a storage cylinder for hot water. Yo will also need to raise the Cylinder off the Floor.
    All pipework will need to be 1 inch in diameter.

Can you get a return from the Cyl back to the Stove low down or under the Floor.

It's not a big or difficult job for a plumber but it is most important that it's done right. Otherwise it can be very dangerous. Which is why i said to get a survey.

Distance should be ok. Have you room for a cold water supply tank in an attic overhead.
    What your'e looking to do is install a Gravity fed system to a storage cylinder for hot water. Yo will also need to raise the Cylinder off the Floor.
    All pipework will need to be 1 inch in diameter.

Can you get a return from the Cyl back to the Stove low down or under the Floor.

It's not a big or difficult job for a plumber but it is most important that it's done right. Otherwise it can be very dangerous. Which is why i said to get a survey.

What do you need the cold water supply tank for? My water tank is in the attic and feeds my cylinder as is - will that do?

Do you have a direct or indirect cyl.? I'm assuming it's an indirect cyl. Does it have 2 connections on the left side of the Cyl. These are the connections off the Coil where the Feed and Return from the Stove are connected.
    The Stove will need to have a separate cold water supply from a small header Tank.
    This Tank also takes the Expansion from the Gravity pipework.

Do you have a direct or indirect cyl.? I'm assuming it's an indirect cyl. Does it have 2 connections on the left side of the Cyl. These are the connections off the Coil where the Feed and Return from the Stove are connected.
    The Stove will need to have a separate cold water supply from a small header Tank.
    This Tank also takes the Expansion from the Gravity pipework.

i just have a standard cylinder (single coil) at the moment which is heated off my oil burner. I'm planning on buying a dual coil cylinder along with the stove and installing the system from scratch. I really don't know anything about these systems adn am just trying to gather as much info as possible to see he mount of work involved before deciding to get a survey/proceed.

If you have a Boiler already then a twin coil cylinder is what you will need to take the Stove also. Your Boiler
    must have a Storage tank already in the Attic. If so you could just use this also to supply the Stove.
    Your present cold feed to the Cyl is filling the whole cyl. The Header tank will only fill the Boiler in the Stove the pipework to the Cyl and the Coil in the Tank.

It's the Gravity flow of Water back and forth through the Coil from the Stove which Heats the Water in the Tank.
    The water in the Tank is what you draw of for the kitchen and Bathroom hot Water.
    The Biggest problem you will have is probably getting the return pipework from the Cyl back to the Stove. As it usually goes underfloor. This can be a problem retro fitting if you have Tiles etc on the Floor already and no Spares.

• Advertisement

If you have a Boiler already then a twin coil cylinder is what you will need to take the Stove also. Your Boiler
    must have a Storage tank already in the Attic. If so you could just use this also to supply the Stove.
    Your present cold feed to the Cyl is filling the whole cyl. The Header tank will only fill the Boiler in the Stove the pipework to the Cyl and the Coil in the Tank.

It's the Gravity flow of Water back and forth through the Coil from the Stove which Heats the Water in the Tank.
    The water in the Tank is what you draw of for the kitchen and Bathroom hot Water.
    The Biggest problem you will have is probably getting the return pipework from the Cyl back to the Stove. As it usually goes underfloor. This can be a problem retro fitting if you have Tiles etc on the Floor already and no Spares.

Thanks a million for that - yeah I have an oil boiler at mo which heats the rads. Fortunately i actually have no carpet/tiles down in the room I'm planning to put the boiler in as actually in the process of doing some other work.

The oil boiler is most likely a sealed system if it's any modern. The Stove must be an open vented system and must be plumbed with 1inch Copper pipework with expansion and a safety Valve fitted at the Stove.

The oil boiler is most likely a sealed system if it's any modern. The Stove must be an open vented system and must be plumbed with 1inch Copper pipework with expansion and a safety Valve fitted at the Stove.

Thanks - you seem to be an expert on this - are you in the plumbing trade?

I Trained as an Engineer I've done plenty of Plumbing as well as supervising Multi million pound building projects.
    Where are you based.

I Trained as an Engineer I've done plenty of Plumbing as well as supervising Multi million pound building projects.
    Where are you based.

It shows - your knowledge on the subject is impressive - thanks for all the tips - you've been a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Where are you based.

Have you actually designed and installed a gravity fed system? And managed to get it to work?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Did your design include an underfloor return which was therefore lower than the stove return connection?

Advertisement