Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Landcruiser problem

Options
  • 26-11-2013 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hey lads, advice required. 04 lwb 3.0 had a few problems starting recently-needed to turn over longer before it would fire. I reckoned the battery was on the way out so put in a new one. She now starts first time from cold however a couple of times after being driven for 20 minutes or so if i knock her off it'll take 3 or 4 turns of the key before she fires. Also a couple of times on tick over the engine management light has come on and she cuts out. This has also happened when going down the gears with low revs say at a roundabout. Local mechanic initially told me heater plugs needed replacing however i don't see the logic in that as she starts in the mornings first time, its only during the day that the engine management light comes on!! I've put cleaner through the fuel twice now but no joy, injectors?? pump?? anything else?? Trying to avoid a big bill before the xmas but I know she'll sit down altogether if I don't sort it soon
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hey lads, advice required. 04 lwb 3.0 had a few problems starting recently-needed to turn over longer before it would fire. I reckoned the battery was on the way out so put in a new one. She now starts first time from cold however a couple of times after being driven for 20 minutes or so if i knock her off it'll take 3 or 4 turns of the key before she fires. Also a couple of times on tick over the engine management light has come on and she cuts out. This has also happened when going down the gears with low revs say at a roundabout. Local mechanic initially told me heater plugs needed replacing however i don't see the logic in that as she starts in the mornings first time, its only during the day that the engine management light comes on!! I've put cleaner through the fuel twice now but no joy, injectors?? pump?? anything else?? Trying to avoid a big bill before the xmas but I know she'll sit down altogether if I don't sort it soon
    Thanks in advance
    Get a good diagnostic unit hooked up and see what it says, it sounds to me like a fuel problem. Have you changed the fuel filter? Cleaned the in-tank filter?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 sonofsteptoe

hi thanks for taking the time to reply, had a service done
    4k kms ago, so I know the fuel filter was done not sure about the other,
    I'll make a call in the morning to find out but I doubt it as I don't recall it being mentioned at the time!! Is it difficult to get to?

hi thanks for taking the time to reply, had a service done
    4k kms ago, so I know the fuel filter was done not sure about the other,
    I'll make a call in the morning to find out but I doubt it as I don't recall it being mentioned at the time!! Is it difficult to get to?
    Actually I am not sure if the 120 series has the same arrangement as the 90 with in tank filter.
    It does give trouble on the 90 series with the tea-bag filter blocking and also the pipes feed and return corroding and allowing air in leading to hard starting.
    edit: there is an in-tank filter as part of the pump assembly.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 sonofsteptoe

cheers CJ, Going down the cheapest route first so took off the tank and the amount of gunk on the
    gause on the inlet side of pump was incredible, do'nt know how it kept going!! Cleaned everything I could
    and replaced fuel filter while i was at it(not too bad), threw in a few gallons of diesel plus cleaner and I'll see how that goes.
    Been told that injectors are e1200 Aaaaaaaargh

cheers CJ, Going down the cheapest route first so took off the tank and the amount of gunk on the
    gause on the inlet side of pump was incredible, do'nt know how it kept going!! Cleaned everything I could
    and replaced fuel filter while i was at it(not too bad), threw in a few gallons of diesel plus cleaner and I'll see how that goes.
    Been told that injectors are e1200 Aaaaaaaargh
    Yep. Injectors aren't cheap on the D4D, Hopefully the tank cleaning was enough!

• Advertisement
Advertisement