Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport to Waterford (WIT)

Options
  • 21-08-2014 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello,

Been trying to decide the best way for to travel from Dublin Airport to my hotel near WIT in Waterford. I see trains, buses and private taxi.

Which is the easiest option for a single girl travelling with 3 bags? I have been quoted a taxi for 150 Euro which seems the most direct, but is expensive.

Do the trains and buses leave directly from the airport, so I would not have to pull around luggage? Where do they stop in Waterford? I plan to stay my first few nights at the Travel Lodge by WIT campus. Maybe I can take taxi from the bus stop to the hotel?

Thank you.

CJH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

What time do you arrive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I'd recon the bus perhaps , I'm from Waterford myself and I would probably take a bus. This link might be of some help to you.http://getthere.ie/dublin_airport-waterford/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The best way to get impartial information is to use the National Journey Planner at www.a-b.ie

Or download their smartphone app.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cjh234

Tube wrote: »
    What time do you arrive?

Will arrive at noon on the 12th September.

Thank you for the links. I am checking them out now. Seem pretty detailed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

cjh234 wrote: »
    Hello,

Been trying to decide the best way for to travel from Dublin Airport to my hotel near WIT in Waterford. I see trains, buses and private taxi.

Which is the easiest option for a single girl travelling with 3 bags? I have been quoted a taxi for 150 Euro which seems the most direct, but is expensive.

Do the trains and buses leave directly from the airport, so I would not have to pull around luggage? Where do they stop in Waterford? I plan to stay my first few nights at the Travel Lodge by WIT campus. Maybe I can take taxi from the bus stop to the hotel?

Thank you.

CJH

The Travel Lodge is not really beside WIT, close though (10 minute walk).

Bus EIreann from Airport to Bus Station on Quay. The city buses are a few minutes walk from bus station.
    JJ Kavanaghs from Airport to Parnell St. Beside city bus stop.

Bet bet just get a taxi once you get off the bus, will only be a few euro (5 or 6) as the nearest bus stop to the travel lodge is still 5 minutes either side walk. Taxi's beside both stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Hello,

Thank you.

CJH

There are two options to Waterford from Dublin airport:
    - Bus Eireann (the state operator) - departs from the bus park near T1 exit
    - JJ Kavanagh/Rapid Express (private operator) - also departs from the bus park but a little further over. Make sure you get the correct bus!

The times are interleaved, so if you miss one you can usually get the other. The BE service is a little faster, but not so much that it's worth missing a Rapid Express bus for!

The BE bus terminates at the bus station on the Quay. Should be very easy to get a taxi from there. The Rapid Express bus is part of Rapid Cabs, so you can just book one when you get off outside their office. Either way, the trip to the Tlodge is a few minutes up the Cork Road/N25.

There is a Waterford City forum on boards.ie for any other questions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

taxi might be much more expensive than that: http://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-fare-estimator/
    Estimated Fare
    €307.40 to €351.00
    However, if you book in advance, you might get a good deal.

You are likely to arrive at terminal 2 and leave from Bus Zone 10-14: http://web1.dublinairport.com/Libraries/Maps/91762_DAA_Pedestrian_Map_QMP_V8.sflb.ashx

I think taking as few different modes of transport as possible makes sense. Train is more comfortable, but is means an extra change. If getting a train, booking in advance can be much cheaper. www.irishrail.ie Ther eis a direct bus from airport to train station.
    Will arrive at noon on the 12th September.
    There tends to be a mass exodus from Dublin on Friday afternoons, so try to be on an early coach, but allowing for airport-related delays. You should be able to buy your ticket on the coach, but try to have €10 or €20 notes, not €50 notes.

Assuming you are a student moving for a period of time, be careful with the amount of luggage you bring. It may be more practical to buy certain things in Ireland instead of transporting them across an ocean - practice saying 'no' to your mother. :)

In the case of Bus Éireann http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=324
    PASSENGERS’ LUGGAGE

Each passenger may carry one medium-sized suitcase or equivalent (maximum dimensions 80 cms x 70 cms x 20 cms and maximum weight 15 Kgs) on a bus free of charge, which luggage must be placed in the luggage compartment of the vehicle.

In addition, each passenger may carry one small item of hand luggage free of charge inside the passenger saloon of the vehicle. In this context hand luggage means something that is capable of being stored in the overhead rack or beneath the seat. Hand luggage carried inside the passenger saloon must not be placed where it could obstruct the gangway or any passenger entrance or emergency exit, but must be placed under a seat or in an overhead rack as appropriate.

Any additional luggage may only be carried if, in the opinion of Bus Éireann, there is sufficient accommodation available. Such additional luggage, if carried at the discretion of Bus Éireann, must be placed in the luggage compartment of the vehicle and may be subject to an additional charge as determined by Bus Éireann from time to time.

While it would be rare that you would be charged extra, the risk is a busy bus and not being able to bring three suitcases. Admittedly, it will be to your advantage that you will be getting on the bus before most of the passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

There is a JJ kavanagh's bus from the coach park in the airport(zone 14) at 12.50pm each afternoon that gets to Waterford at about 4.05pm, this bus goes on to Tramore so might drop you at the Travelodge if you ask the driver, otherwise get off at the rapid cabs office and get a cab.

There is also a bus eireann bus from zone 11 outside terminal 1 entrance at 1.15pm that gets to Waterford bus station at about 4.15pm. You can easily get a taxi from the rank beside the bus station in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

When you get to Waterford you have a few options. You can take the 603 bus straight there, it stops a bit further up the quay I think on the same side as the bus station but I'm not certain on that. The bus will say WIT on it so you can't go wrong.
    You could get a Taxi which I would guess would be €8 to €10 , or you could walk but it's a good mile and a half out there form the quay.

Edit: I just saw you will have 3 bags. Get a Taxi from the bus station.

• Advertisement

Thank you all for the responses. Will take the bus option to Waterford and then a taxi to the hotel. -CJH234

Advertisement