Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin to Doolin - M4-M6 route or M7?

• 20-08-2014 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Travelling to Doolin on Friday afternoon.

It looks the same on google maps time wise to either go the M4, M6 route towards Galway or go the M7 route towards Limerick.

Anyone any experience if either is a quicker drive, traffickwise/townwise etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

The M7 route via Limerick is motorway all the way to Ennis, while the M4/M6 way means you will come off the motorway earlier.

There's not much between them - you will be paying 2 tolls on either route. If one lets you avoid the M50 toll bridge, it might be worth it, depending on where you start from in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

Is the exit out of Dublin more painless on either? I'm leaving at 4pm Friday so if one route offered a quicker exit out of Dublin I'd be temtpted to go that route but I don't have any experience of commuting out of Dublin on eiether route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Much of a muchness. N4/M4 can be reduced to stop/start where 3 lanes become 2 at Leixlip, and where the same thing happens on the N7/M7 at Naas. Toll is a euro cheaper on the M7.
    Cool Mo D wrote: »
    If one lets you avoid the M50 toll bridge, it might be worth it, depending on where you start from in Dublin.

They're both on the same side of the toll bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

M4 can be stop-start at the 3 to 2 section but I reckon that would be less of a delay than facing Newlands at rush hour, then delays around the Naas Bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

Looks like its the M$ option then. Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

n97 mini wrote: »
    Much of a muchness. N4/M4 can be reduced to stop/start where 3 lanes become 2 at Leixlip, and where the same thing happens on the N7/M7 at Naas. Toll is a euro cheaper on the M7.

They're both on the same side of the toll bridge.

The toll bridge is between exit 6 (Castleknock/Blanchardstown) and exit 7 (Lucan/Palmerstown.) The exit for the M4 is after exit 7, so if you approach the M4 from south of there, you won't go through the toll bridge. You will if you are approaching it from north of exit 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The toll bridge is between exit 6 (Castleknock/Blanchardstown) and exit 7 (Lucan/Palmerstown.) The exit for the M4 is after exit 7, so if you approach the M4 from south of there, you won't go through the toll bridge. You will if you are approaching it from north of exit 7.

I think N97's point is that there is no way you can join the motorway such that you would pay the M50 toll for one route and not the other...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Phibsboro wrote: »
    I think N97's point is that there is no way you can join the motorway such that you would pay the M50 toll for one route and not the other...

Thanks, that's what I meant. If you are on the M50 and approach from the south you don't pay any tolls to exit either on the N7 or N4. If you approach on the M50 from the north you pay to toll to get to both the N4 and N7 exits.

Advertisement