Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16-18 Child Leap Card - frustration!

Options
  • 06-08-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

This is very frustrating. My just-turned-18 daughter has a summer job in a private sector company in Dublin 4. To get a 16-18 Leap Card she needs to physically visit one of the participating offices, all bar one of which are closed for lunch from 12.30 to 2pm. As she gets only a 40 minute lunch break she hasn't time to get to the DB office on O'Connell St and back during the week. It is the only one open lunchtimes, but also one of the furthest away.

It's one thing public services being closed for lunch, which is not acceptable in my view, but it's another that passports are available by post but Leap cards aren't.

http://childleapcard.ie/child-leap-card-16-18-years/order/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Are they open at weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

No Pants wrote: »
    Are they open at weekends?

While the website doesn't say, I believe the DB office on O'Connell St is open till lunchtime on Saturdays.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Dublin bus office is open on Saturdays till 2pm. The customer service in Connolly station is open most of the time too, or usually someone at the ticket office will take them if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Dublin bus office is open on Saturdays till 2pm. The customer service in Connolly station is open most of the time too, or usually someone at the ticket office will take them if needed.

The form needs to be handed into the tax saver office on the corner of sheriff street and Amiens street opposite the North Star hotel .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    The form needs to be handed into the tax saver office on the corner of sheriff street and Amiens street opposite the North Star hotel .

There's a list of accepted places, CTYIgirls are all OK. You can also drop it off at Luas, Luas Cross City, RPA and some others

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

My sister dropped hers into customer service in Connolly and got her leap card last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

If your Daughter has just turned 18 she's not eligible for a child Leap card, she needs to buy an adult card

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

There's a list of accepted places, CTYIgirls are all OK. You can also drop it off at Luas, Luas Cross City, RPA and some others

Sorry.
    I didnt mean it to be the only place in the city but the only place in Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

johnciall wrote: »
    If your Daughter has just turned 18 she's not eligible for a child Leap card, she needs to buy an adult card

No she doesn't, she can get the child card up to her 19th birthday
    http://www.childleapcard.ie/child-leap-card-16-18-years/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

johnciall wrote: »

Not so John....as long as she's not within a Month of her 19th she's good to go.

If you are less than a month away from your 19th birthday when making your application for a Child Leap Card 16-18, you are considered ineligible for the Child Leap Card- See more at: http://www.childleapcard.ie/frequent-questions/#sthash.WrMQ6AFs.dpuf.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

Yes, I know that. Problem isn't the lack of places to hand it in, it's the opening hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

n97 mini wrote: »
    Yes, I know that. Problem isn't the lack of places to hand it in, it's the opening hours.
    Oh no I know that I was replying to someone who said the only accepted place was Taxsaver. I agree though, Dublin Bus office is the only option really.

Quick update on this. Frustration didn't end when she finally got the card. On her first time using it an over zealous female IE employee in Lansdowne Road Station was shouting at here colleague "Stop her, stop her, she's using a child leap card" as she exited. Three staff in the station had to look at the card before one of them reluctantly apologised and gave her back the card.

Later on on the bus drew a sarcastic "you're a child are you?" from the driver who had to examine the card before he'd let her on.

I really wish IE and DB staff had been trained on this. Or even just sent an email with a photo of this leap card.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

There are notices up about this in DB facilities...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

n97, I think the issue is more down to staff being overly skeptic of those who look older than they are. Used to have that issue when I was younger. There are also adults who do try to find there way around using child cards. I don't think the ticket machine on the bus is able display the difference between a child card and a personalised child card, when they get a notification from the validator by the door. So that's why they ask to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,559 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It also has probably more to do with being used to the upper age limit being 15 for their entire working lives, and just forgetting that the age limit has been raised for LEAP customers.

It's going to take a bit of getting used to for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

n97, I think the issue is more down to staff being overly skeptic of those who look older than they are. Used to have that issue when I was younger. There are also adults who do try to find there way around using child cards. I don't think the ticket machine on the bus is able display the difference between a child card and a personalised child card, when they get a notification from the validator by the door. So that's why they ask to see it.

I understand these cards expire automatically when the holder turns 19 so the fact that the face on the card matches the face on the person should be sufficient.

On the upside the card is currently working like the child leap cards, i.e. free.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Tube wrote: »
    I understand these cards expire automatically when the holder turns 19 so the fact that the face on the card matches the face on the person should be sufficient.

On the upside the card is currently working like the child leap cards, i.e. free.

You missumderstood what I said. There are 2 types of child cards, one with photo, one without. But when used at the validator and if both just say child on their machine, the driver has no way of knowing which child card was used without seeing it.

My da has copped adults with the child card too. Its not unreasonable to be examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭steveblack

devnull wrote: »
    There are notices up about this in DB facilities...

Who told you this?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭steveblack

n97 mini wrote: »
    Quick update on this. Frustration didn't end when she finally got the card. On her first time using it an over zealous female IE employee in Lansdowne Road Station was shouting at here colleague "Stop her, stop her, she's using a child leap card" as she exited. Three staff in the station had to look at the card before one of them reluctantly apologised and gave her back the card.

Later on on the bus drew a sarcastic "you're a child are you?" from the driver who had to examine the card before he'd let her on.

I really wish IE and DB staff had been trained on this. Or even just sent an email with a photo of this leap card.

Cry me a river, how terrible!!

Posters here constantly moan about the high price of tickets.
    "I pay the correct fare and I see adults using child tickets."
    "Drivers dont do enough to check free travel passes so they can confiscate the fake ones."
    Now when staff do what you all moan about them not doing, you moan about them doing it.
    Make up your mind, what do you want staff to do?

• Advertisement
Advertisement