Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best study habits??

Options
  • 02-07-2013 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey there I've just finished my JC and I'm going straight into 5th year and I had really bad study habits for the junior cert and would keep putting it off until the night before the exam!!! What are the best ways to enforce good study habits in fifth year for sixth year??

Comments

Hey there I've just finished my JC and I'm going straight into 5th year and I had really bad study habits for the junior cert and would keep putting it off until the night before the exam!!! What are the best ways to enforce good study habits in fifth year for sixth year??

My number one tip I tell to everyone is to read the chapter of a book and then do your homework without the book. I did it throughout 5th year and it made studying in 6th year much easier as it all came back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Did that "bad" study routine result in bad results though? There are certain types of people who are very good listeners in class and absorb information very easily, and don't have to study very hard. I am one of these people and I left most of my study until the last 3 weeks of the LC, and I'm hoping for over 500 points. I always did my homework (well, maybe skipped on some English, hated doing English hw!), payed attention in class and always studied the night before a test (if not, the morning of the test or even the class before). I think simple revision works really well for me because I absorb the information very well.

I've learned quite a lot about myself study-wise from the Leaving Cert. When I go to college, I'm going to use a very interesting way of study, which has proven to give brilliant results. It's called the "One Day, One Week, One Month" system. For the last 10 mins I've been looking for the best link to explain this and just found a good one: http://www.stokenewingtonchambers.co.uk/revision-v-re-learning-one-day-one-week-one-month/

You have a GREAT opportunity. I wish I knew this information before I started 5th year, but then again leaving it till the last minute works well for me! :P For college however, I'm more motivated to get on very well as their is a scholarship for the top student.

You should try it out and see how it goes! :) NB: Don't burn yourself out in 5th year because you will be very unmotivated by LC and too tired to study. If you keep tipping along keeping her lit you'll be fine.

Unless you're going for medicine, that is :eek: :P

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Donegal1234

For my leaving cert I got up early on Saturday and Sunday and started studying at about 9. It meant that you are fresh and things stick in more and come 1-2 O clock you have your studying done and you can do what ever you want for the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

Honestly the best way is studying is picking up a book, studying a topic your interested in for about an hour. Study for about 3 hours after school, maybe 2. Doing exam papers consistently and homework counts as a study. What I recommend to get good results is doing a chapter a night, having a study timetaable. As you get closer to the exam, practice exam papers, review marking scheames.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

DarkDusk wrote: »
    I've learned quite a lot about myself study-wise from the Leaving Cert. When I go to college, I'm going to use a very interesting way of study, which has proven to give brilliant results. It's called the "One Day, One Week, One Month" system. For the last 10 mins I've been looking for the best link to explain this and just found a good one: http://www.stokenewingtonchambers.co.uk/revision-v-re-learning-one-day-one-week-one-month/

You have a GREAT opportunity. I wish I knew this information before I started 5th year, but then again leaving it till the last minute works well for me! :P For college however, I'm more motivated to get on very well as their is a scholarship for the top student.

You should try it out and see how it goes! :) NB: Don't burn yourself out in 5th year because you will be very unmotivated by LC and too tired to study. If you keep tipping along keeping her lit you'll be fine.[/SIZE]

I was just readinng through this method, I have a few questions though. Do you review the topic every month after you learn it? This seems a bit excessive considering the size of the workload that would eventually be involved? Also, what would you do to review a topic? Sorry to be annoying :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

Actually study every night, sounds hard, but when you do it, it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Just make a study planner and make sure you stick to it diligently. My study plan was to take topics in half-hour blocks with five minute breaks in between each however early on I was a bit slack with keeping it to a five minute break and eventually it just became a habit that was hard to break out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

One thing I learned from the LC was to make sure you do at least 7 subjects as you never know what might happen on the day of the exam.

I did 7 and Irish has always been my worst so I presumed I wouldn't count it but after the exams I messed up with the English paper so ill prob end up counting Irish instead which I never studied for. So I'm glad I kept Irish at higher level :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

As you progress through chapters on subjects, make your own simple short notes on that chapter. This would help you to revise very fast and without trouble.

Also like someone eles said, do your homework without notes or a book, if you need, read the notes/book and then do the homework without them. I did this for the three years leading up to Junior Cert (finished it this year :D) and I found that my study time was cut almost by 50% because I remembered alot by doing homework without any help, causing you to think more and puts you in kinda an exam situation because you don't have books in an exam ;).

Advertisement