Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'illegal' Palestinian homes destroyed

Options
  • 18-05-2010 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭

By Hamas!

This report has been around since yesterday but I am surprised that it has not been commented on.

The cynic might say that people only care when it is Israel doing the destroying.
    Hamas destroys dozens of homes in southern Gaza

By RIZEK ABDEL JAWAD
    Associated Press Writer

updated 3:00 p.m. ET May 16, 2010
    RAFAH, Gaza Strip - Hamas police wielding clubs beat and pushed residents out of dozens of homes in the southern Gaza town of Rafah on Sunday before knocking the buildings down with bulldozers, residents said.

Gaza's militant Hamas rulers said the homes were built illegally on government land. Newly homeless residents were furious over Palestinians on bulldozers razing Palestinian homes.

For years, Palestinians have criticized Israel for destroying houses, mostly because they were built without permits issued by the military. Now, Rafah residents complained, their own government, run by the Islamic militant Hamas that seized power in Gaza in July 2007, has done the same.

"They promised reform and change — instead they've destroyed our homes," shouted Miasar Gan, a 54-year-old woman. Gan said she and her husband had nowhere else to go.

"I found my mattress, and that's where I'll be sitting," she said, standing next to the concrete chunks — all that was left of her house.

Her neighbor, Nazira Abu Jara, 56, said policewomen wearing face veils typical of conservative Muslim women beat her with clubs until she fled her house with her husband and two children. "Neighbors help us get by with charity. We can't afford to build again," Abu Jara said.

Others picked through rubble to retrieve dusty clothing and mangled furniture.

Residents said between 30 and 40 homes were torn down, ranging from concrete structures to tin shacks. They did not know how many people were affected. Hamas officials did not allow reporters into the area until the demolition was over.

Residents said more demolitions in the area were expected Monday.

Even if they are allowed to rebuild, Israel does not allow most building materials into the territory it has blockaded since Hamas seized power. The newly homeless residents are unlikely to be able to afford the steep black market prices for concrete, steel and wood. Some of the families cannot afford rent.

Rafah's mayor, Issa Nashar, promised alternative housing. Gaza's housing minister Yousef al-Mansi said he had no information about such housing.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37178222/ns/business/
    Hamas wrecks 'illegal' Gaza homes

Hamas, the Palestinian movement which controls the Gaza Strip, has forced residents of a southern town from their homes and demolished their houses.
    The radical Islamist group says people living at the edge of the town of Rafah had built their homes illegally on government land.

Witnesses said dozens of people were pushed out of their homes but Hamas says the number has been exaggerated.

Palestinians in Gaza have been angered by the demolitions.

Palestinians are more used to seeing homes destroyed in areas occupied by Israeli military or police for being built without the correct permits, correspondents say.

Club-wielding Hamas policemen - and some female police officers wearing face-covering veils - forced people from their homes and then brought in bulldozers.

Government land

Hamas said that only seven houses were demolished, but witnesses told reporters the real number was around 30 or 40.

Some of the buildings were temporary shacks built by people who had been made homeless in an Israeli incursion into Gaza between December 2008 and January 2009.

Residents said they were sold land permits by by a local land owner, but Hamas said the land was meant for government use.

"They promised reform and change - instead they've destroyed our homes," Miasar Gan told reporters.
    Reporters said they were barred from the area by Hamas until the demolitions were over.

In 2005, Israel withdrew its troops and settlers from the Gaza Strip.

The Gaza strip has been controlled by Hamas since 2007 when they forced out rivals Fatah.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8687974.stm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well, it is Hamas, and there actions are hardly surprising. There clearly a bunch of idiots.

However, I doubt we will see many defend these demolitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

reprazant wrote: »
    By Hamas!

This report has been around since yesterday but I am surprised that it has not been commented on.

The cynic might say that people only care when it is Israel doing the destroying.

Do not be too surprised at how little comment there has been on issues like this ! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Breaking News - Pro-Israel internet arguers shocked, SHOCKED not to score more points by the lives of ordinary Palestinians being made even more miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

By Hamas!

That's not the cynic in you talking, it's the idiot.

It is Israel's practice to deny Palestinians building permits forcing them to build illegally and then allowing the Israeli government to demolish their homes and neighborhoods under the pretext of merely enforcing building codes.

Clearly this is a nothing more then a barely disguised effort in ethnic cleansing. It is indeed quite different in nature that what the HAMAS government has done here. Unless you're suggesting that HAMAS are trying to ethnically cleanse Gaza of Palestinians?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

This is a dispicable action taken by Hamas, particularly due to the situation in Gaza and the restrictions on the import of construction materials due to the blockade.

I'm sure the OP was trying to make an equivilance here between Israeli house demolitions and this. However, the cases are fundamentally different. This case would be more akin to Israel demolishing Bedouin houses in the Negev but without the minority ethnic/racial element involved.

In the case of Hamas' destruction in Gaza and Israeli destruction in the Negev, these are actions taken where the governments have legal sovereignty over the territory in which they are acting.

To compare this with the situation of house demolitions in East Jerusalem and Area C of the West Bank would be wrong however, since Israel does not have legal sovereignty over this land and is therefore breaking international law by carrying out such actions.

Anyway, no houses should be demolished either in Gaza, the Negev or in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

The Saint wrote: »
    I'm sure the OP was trying to make an equivilance here between Israeli house demolitions and this.

Actually, the point I was making is that this was reported 3 days ago and no comment was made on it on Boards. These people were sold land by a land owner but the government has decided it is theirs and thrown them off the land, with nowhere to go. And these were there people made homeless by the Gaza conflict.

If it had been Israel doing, there would have been a thread in seconds and it would not be multiple pages long.

I just find it interesting that nobody seems to care about the plight and hardship of the Palestinians unless it is Israel is causing it.

And no, I am not pro-Israel. Neither am I pro-Palestinian. I find both parties there to entrenched in their own views and with a complete inability to see beyond it. But it seems to some that view makes me pro-Israel and an idiot.

Actually, the point I was making is that this was reported 3 days ago and no comment was made on it on Boards. These people were sold land by a land owner but the government has decided it is theirs and thrown them off the land, with nowhere to go. And these were there people made homeless by the Gaza conflict.

If it had been Israel doing, there would have been a thread in seconds and it would not be multiple pages long.

I just find it interesting that nobody seems to care about the plight and hardship of the Palestinians unless it is Israel is causing it.

And no, I am not pro-Israel. Neither am I pro-Palestinian. I find both parties there to entrenched in their own views and with a complete inability to see beyond it. But it seems to some that view makes me pro-Israel and an idiot.

Sorry, I mixed you up with another poster who referenced this thread in another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

The Saint wrote: »
    Sorry, I mixed you up with another poster who referenced this thread in another.

Tbf, you were pretty much the only poster who didn't insult me with their reply.

I just find it interesting that there is generally at least 2 threads on the first page about what bad things Israel does to the Palestinians, but this incident was ignored.

It just seems that both the pro-Israel and the pro-Palestinian seem to ignore any reports that do not suit their arguements/agendas.

Tbf, you were pretty much the only poster who didn't insult me with their reply.

I just find it interesting that there is generally at least 2 threads on the first page about what bad things Israel does to the Palestinians, but this incident was ignored.

It just seems that both the pro-Israel and the pro-Palestinian seem to ignore any reports that do not suit their arguements/agendas.
    It's just the nature of these things. Each side will highlight perceived injustices against their own side and seek to undermine the other. That's the nature of most debate really.

Anyway, house demolitions is a subject that is important for me and I will not condone the displacement of people, where ever they are, without proper justification. I will however add the caveat that this does not include the evacuation of settlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

It looks like the average Palestinians get the raw end of the deal which ever way they turn and where ever they live. Just be thankfull that you where not born there to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well, personally I posted the way I did, because this topic was actually already posted on, in another thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65942710&postcount=604

As you can see from the time, it was posted before your thread.

Now, to be fair, you do have a point, that when it comes to these things, people do ignore the wrong doing, when its suits them. I have been guilty of that myself, but the nature to this topic and many others is rather adversarial, and there tends to be a lot of personal abuse a thrown at people and what not, which of course leads, to making the situation even worse, and more adverserial.

Because - as has been pointed out already - Israeli demolitions of Palestinian neighborhoods is part of a deliberate policy of ethnic cleansing, particularly in East Jerusalem and surrounding towns.

Yes, that it quite different to this case. Cause and motive are quite important in such matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Exile 1798 wrote: »
    Because - as has been pointed out already - Israeli demolitions of Palestinian neighborhoods is part of a deliberate policy of ethnic cleansing, particularly in East Jerusalem and surrounding towns.

Yes, that it quite different to this case. Cause and motive are quite important in such matters.

I think what many may mean is that one involves jewish people, one doesnt. I have tried to make this point ad nauseam; it was the sheer imbalance between the treatment of any issue involing israel and ones not involving Israel that drew me to these threads. It is such an irish thing - as i asked before, how many trips has Minister martin made to see the far gretater injustices and casualities in Iraq ?
    Answers on the back of a postage stamp please !

anymore wrote: »
    I think what many may mean is that one involves jewish people, one doesnt. I have tried to make this point ad nauseam; it was the sheer imbalance between the treatment of any issue involing israel and ones not involving Israel that drew me to these threads. It is such an irish thing - as i asked before, how many trips has Minister martin made to see the far gretater injustices and casualities in Iraq ?
    Answers on the back of a postage stamp please !

So it is your contention that HAMAS authorities are engaged in an effort to ethnically cleanse Gaza of Palestinians?

Interesting, could you flesh that out a bit for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Jaysus!

Not A N O T H E R Palestinian thread!!

Can this stuff not be shunted into the new Forums request for a Middle East thread.?

People are using this site for propaganda purposes for fcuks sake.

Time to put a lid on on it surely?

Advertisement