Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demonstration tonight?

Options
  • 18-05-2010 7:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

Will tonights demonstration to the Dail be a success? I can see the pro's and cons for it to be planned for 7.30 this evening but donesn't suit people living in the country.

As the man on "Frontline" last night said its our money the over paid politicians are playing with. The sooner the political system is reformed the sooner the country will get on the long, long road to recovery.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would certainly keep my distance particularly if it starts to turn sour. :eek:

Expect a lot of Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

The spoksman for "Right to Work" was on breakfast on Newstalk.

He's campaigning for jobs. He wants the government to provide more jobs.
    Yet, he's been on the dole for the past 12 years?

What sort of job does he want the government to provide for him?
    Considering he didn't bother trying to get any of the jobs that were available in the past 12 years?

He said he busked.
    I didn't know that buskers got laid off in a recession.

Yes, this is the type of person that is organising these protests.
    He wants jobs for everyone else, so that we can continue to pay for his dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

12 years????12 YEARS???Is that actually true??
    Only in Ireland would you find the man organising a protest march against the lack of jobs is one of the 3-4% that were unemployed during the boom.
    How is anyone meant to take that seriously? Personally I'll be avoiding the thing like the plague.I've got better things to do.Like job hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I won't be protesting ,can't see the point at the moment ,the euro is in trouble and theres nothing anyone in government can do about that.

Hopefully there'll be enough people with cop on at the demonstration to stop any trouble.

He didn't deny it.
    He said he was a busker.

Apparently it was in the MoS. Normally I wouldn't believe anything in that rag, but if he confirmed it live on air to the nation, I'll give the paper the benefit of the doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

femur61 wrote: »
    Will tonights demonstration to the Dail be a success?

what would success be ?

a lynched cabinet outside the dail ?

gov. resigning and calling an election

brian cowen standing outside and saying hes created another 400,000 PS jobs for everyone ?

please tell me because i have no idea what you want from these marches
    marches succeed when they have definite goals
    unfortunately father ted had it right

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

The sooner the political system is reformed the sooner the country will get on the long, long road to recovery.
    In exactly what manner need the political system be reformed in order to put Ireland on the road to recovery?

Oh, there's lots of populist rhetoric, no substance.

Viva le revolution..... Or perhaps, not.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well they are going to have to come up with something far more substantial than "It's not fair" and "we're not to blame" to make any worthwhile changes. So far I haven't seen this.

If that's true about the spokesman for "Right to Work" is correct then that is farcical in the extreme!

deadtiger wrote: »

If that's true about the spokesman for "Right to Work" is correct then that is farcical in the extreme!

it is true, he admitted it live on air.
    It makes a mockery of the entire right to work organisation.
    The organisation that has been the primary organisers of this event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

deadtiger wrote: »
    Well they are going to have to come up with something far more substantial than "It's not fair" and "we're not to blame" to make any worthwhile changes. So far I haven't seen this.

So true.Just not sure that they've realised that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

dan_d wrote: »
    So true.Just not sure that they've realised that yet.

Just imagine for a second that they succeed and they topple the government in place at the moment.

Then the new government come in and realise "feck we have to keep going with the cuts". What then more "It's not fair protests"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

danman wrote: »
    The spoksman for "Right to Work" was on breakfast on Newstalk.

He's campaigning for jobs. He wants the government to provide more jobs.
    Yet, he's been on the dole for the past 12 years?

What sort of job does he want the government to provide for him?
    Considering he didn't bother trying to get any of the jobs that were available in the past 12 years?

He said he busked.
    I didn't know that buskers got laid off in a recession.

Yes, this is the type of person that is organising these protests.
    He wants jobs for everyone else, so that we can continue to pay for his dole.

Id argue that it is not the government's place, nor should it ever be, to create jobs. It's the governments duty to create a favourable climate for job creation, not jobs themselves. There is a sense of entitlement coming from this, "right to work" campaign that bothers me... I have a right to work, I exercised that right last month by going down to the CRO and starting up a business, now I have a job that keeps me on my feet 16 odd hours a day and keeps me off the dole...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭vinylrules

Anyone remember Citizen Smith and the Tooting Popular Front?

http://www.tootingpopularfront.com/

Citizen Smith starred Robert Lindsay as "Wolfie" Smith, a young Marxist urban revolutionary living in Tooting, South London, who is attempting to emulate his hero Che Guevara. Wolfie is the self-proclaimed leader of the Tooting Popular Front (in reality a small bunch of his friends) the goals of which are "Power to the People" and "Freedom for Tooting". In reality, he is an unemployed dreamer and petty criminal whose plans fall through due to laziness and disorganisation.

I remember Wolfie well.
    I always think that the charactor Robert Lindsey plays in "My Family" is a natural progression from Wolfie.

From teenage angst to disgruntled father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭GarlicBread

what would success be ?

a lynched cabinet outside the dail ?

gov. resigning and calling an election

brian cowen standing outside and saying hes created another 400,000 PS jobs for everyone ?

please tell me because i have no idea what you want from these marches
    marches succeed when they have definite goals
    unfortunately father ted had it right

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

Err, the whole point of the protest is to fight back against this scumbag of a government.

In Iceland they rioted until the government stood down. They then got a banking enquiry, told the bond holders to feck off and now they have happy days compared to us.

In Greece they rioted and....., and......., er, they fought back at least!.

In Ireland we bent over and took it in the ass so far. Tonite, like last week, we will fight back!

Heres a few good reasons why -

-So we dont look like passive idiots
    -So the government becomes afraid of us and thinks twice about making cuts in sensitive areas
    -To knock out this government and call an election, the next government that goes in wont dare repeat mistakes knowing full well what happened to the last one.
    -To stop the bank bail out, which is blatent robbery of the highest order.
    -To have a fair way of making cuts/savings so society dosent get damaged, which is the current plan of action by the government.
    -To take out some extreme rage at the people who caused this mess and who are continuing to cause more damage.

I could go on and on, its just too cliched at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

E
    and three innocent bank employees got killed in the process. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I don't care who protests at least some peopole are not being taken for mugs. The riots Greece experienced are not to be admired but at least they were not taken for mugs and did something about it. The loss of life is very regrettable and it didn't much for their imae on the world stage but at least they were not taken for an easy ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

Err, the whole point of the protest is to fight back against this scumbag of a government.

In Iceland they rioted until the government stood down. They then got a banking enquiry, told the bond holders to feck off and now they have happy days compared to us.

In Ireland we bent over and took it in the ass so far. Tonite, like last week, we will fight back!

Heres a few good reasons why -

-So we dont look like passive idiots
    -So the government becomes afraid of us and thinks twice about making cuts in sensitive areas
    -To knock out this government and call an election, the next government that goes in wont dare repeat mistakes knowing full well what happened to the last one.
    -To stop the bank bail out, which is blatent robbery of the highest order.
    -To have a fair way of making cuts/savings so society dosent get damaged, which is the current plan of action by the government.
    -To take out some extreme rage at the people who caused this mess and who are continuing to cause more damage.

I could go on and on, its just too cliched at this stage.

The government doesn't give a tuppenny about any protest. Never have never will.

I'm not too sure about you analysis of Iceland. And in Greece they just managed to kill four innocent people.

The demonstrators just look like idiots, passive or active. What's worse is they'll be demonstarting outside an empty building this evening.

Any demonstration won't bring down the government, won't stop the bank bailouts because you can't stop something that has already happened and won't stop cuts for the simple reason that the money doesn't exist to pay for anything that has to be cut.

If you need to take out your rage buy a punchbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I don't care who protests at least some peopole are not being taken for mugs. The riots Greece experienced are not to be admired but at least they were not taken for mugs and did something about it. The loss of life is very regrettable and it didn't much for their imae on the world stage but at least they were not taken for an easy ride.

So, by deciding to go out and shout on a street you're automatically "not being taken for mugs"? Even though, let's say, the Murdoch press will use the picures and video as part of their ongoing attack on the euro, while the financial speculators will see it as a reason to up the betting against an Irish default?

It takes a little more work than that.

regards,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Agreed.

This whole damn "demonstration" feels more to me like extreme left wingers complaining about the "man" keeping them down - rather than something that will benifit Ireland.

The only thing these people might accomplish is to brand Ireland more similar to Greece; remember the only people outside of Ireland watching these things are Investors. Investors that Ireland needs.

Can you give one, just one example of what the protests in Greece acheived?
    Did it stop any cuts?
    Is the economy much better because of the protests?
    How many jobs did it create?

Please explain to the rest of us that simply don't understand the achievements of the Greek protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

danman wrote: »
    Can you give one, just one example of what the protests in Greece acheived?
    Did it stop any cuts?
    Is the economy much better because of the protests?
    How many jobs did it create?

Please explain to the rest of us that simply don't understand the achievements of the Greek protests.

I can tell you what it doing:

Killing tourism - which accounts for 16% of their GDP

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-06/greek-riots-threaten-to-scare-tourists-key-to-economy-update2-.html

I can tell you what it doing:

Killing tourism - which accounts for 16% of their GDP

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-06/greek-riots-threaten-to-scare-tourists-key-to-economy-update2-.html

That was my point exactly.

The protests in Greece simply amplified the worlds attention on the country.

They scared off potential tourists, thereby making an already suffering ecomony, worse.

If that was the goal of the protesters, they achieved their goal and then some more.

Advertisement