Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

plaque to be placed on Rockall

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Its closer to Scotland than Ireland? Let them have the rock, (mineral rights will only go to big petro chem companies anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Its closer to Scotland than Ireland? Let them have the rock, (mineral rights will only go to big petro chem companies anyway)

Its closest to mainland Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Fuhrer wrote: »

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Taken from Wikipedia.

The nearest point on land from Rockall is 301.4 kilometres (187.3 mi), or 162.7 nmi,[8] east at the uninhabited Scottish island of Soay in the St Kilda archipelago. The nearest habitated area lies 303.3 kilometres (188.4 mi), or 163.8 nmi,[13] east at Hirta, the largest island in the St Kilda group. It is however only populated at certain points of time year-round at a single military base.[14][15] The nearest permanently habited settlement is 367 kilometres (228 mi), or 198.1 nmi,[16] west of the headland of Aird an Runair, near the crofting township of Hogha Gearraidh [17] on the island of North Uist at NF705711 (57°36′33″N 7°31′7″W / 57.60917°N 7.51861°W / 57.60917; -7.51861 (Hogha Gearraidh / Hougharry)). North Uist is part of the Na h-Eileanan Siar council area of Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Apart from mineral rights (and as a result of the CFP, fishing rights), nothing's changed with regard to Rockall claims for years. The Danes are due to finish their continental shelf claim in 2014 or so. As the delineation line agreement wrt mineral rights on the Rockall shelf was concluded in 1988 between Ireland and the UK, almost nothing's been done since.

The plaque is replacing one that was placed there by the British Royal Navy in 1955, which has since gone missing. So no change there either.

The one outstanding issue (apart form territorial claim over the rock itself, which was largely only important for mineral rights, settled between UK/IE in 1988 as mentioned above) has been fishing rights. With the common fisheries area since the 1988 agreement, this has also pretty much disappeared as an issue. As Ireland always made its continental shelf claim ignoring the presence of the island, the one outstanding issue is the territorial claim over an uninhabitable rock. I wouldn't say that no-one cares but all the benefits of owning that rock, apart from the intrinsic value of the rock itself, have essentially been settled between Ireland and the UK. Denmark has an outstanding claim, as does Iceland, particularly based on the continental shelf (Iceland's is a bit whacked and Denmark makes its claim on the basis of an undersea continent) so the Danish/Iceland claims are likely to be completely ignored by the international community.

tl;dr version: The short answers to the initial questions in the OP are: "it's replacing a previous plaque and almost no-one cares as all the value stuff has been settled for years" and "no, but almost no-one cares as all the value stuff has been settled for years".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

At the end of the day what would it matter if Ireland did receive the mineral rights? They'd probably just hand it over to f*cking Shell anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Even if that was true, we still get taxes worth millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Wasn't there a conference in the past year or two between Ireland, the UK, Denmark and Iceland over the status of Rockall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Even if that was true, we still get taxes worth millions.

I'd be very happy if this was the case but claiming a rock that is not even in Irish territorial waters always struck me as a bit odd. I had this discussion with an uncle of mine a few years back and the jist of the discussion was we have nothing to gain from this claim and its closer to scotland than Ireland.......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I presume that there is some type of international court (in the Hague?) that deals with these legal disputes. AFAIK, it tried to settled a border dispute between Thailand and Cambodia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

I remember the words in song !
    Oh rock on rockall youll never fall to Britains greedy hands !

But I suppose that was when we had a bit of fight in us !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Darsad wrote: »
    I remember the words in song !
    Oh rock on rockall youll never fall to Britains greedy hands !

Sounds like a Shíte song in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wolftones I presume!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

mike65 wrote: »
    Wolftones I presume!

Correct actually its not that bad if you like the odd rebel song !!!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1maOiysZe-4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Wolftones I presume!

Here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

FTA69 wrote: »
    At the end of the day what would it matter if Ireland did receive the mineral rights? They'd probably just hand it over to f*cking Shell anyway.

:eek:

So they would have the wherewithal to explore it themselves:confused:.

Would you get a grip pal, What could Ireland do ??

Jeeesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Given the tiny size of Rockall what would be the position if it was "accidently" blown up so no part of the structure was above water?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

sceptre wrote: »
    The plaque is replacing one that was placed there by the British Royal Navy in 1955, which has since gone missing. So no change there either.

Guess how long the replacement plaque is going to stay in situ before it too goes missing? On a related note- I wonder how much it would cost to charter a small fishing boat for a little offshore fishing.......?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

On 18th September 1955 at 1016 GMT Britain claimed Rockall, apparently to stop the Russians spying on Corporal missile tests. The islet was within reach of a planned guided missile range on South Uist, Outer Hebrides and the British government feared foreign spies could use it as an observation post.

See here for the history of rockall according to one source

http://www.rockall2011.com/History_of_Rockall.html

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Nope. Closer to mainland Soay.
    Given the tiny size of Rockall what would be the position if it was "accidently" blown up so no part of the structure was above water?
    AFAIK irrelevant. Likewise, expanding your shoeline doesn't affect the EEZ (not sure if it affect territorial waters).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Wolftones I presume!

Oh rock on Rockall, you'll never fall to Britain's greedy hands
    Or you'll meet the same resistance that you did in many lands
    May the seagulls rise and pluck your eyes and the water crush your shell,
    And the natural gas will burn your ass and blow you all to hell.

Classic lyrics, my favourite bit is the seagulls rise and pluck you eyes, they must have been up all night thinkin bout that one :D

And the wolfetones even give evidence that Rockall is ours

For this rock is part of Ireland, 'cos it' s written in folklore
    That Fionn MacCumhaill took a sod of grass and he threw it to the fore,
    Then he tossed a pebble across the sea, where ever it did fall,
    For the sod became the Isle of Man and the pebble's called Rockall.

See Fionn MacCumhaill made it from a pebble of Irish soil, and in fact the Isle of Man is our territory too.
    We should go to the United Nations with this !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

:eek:

So they would have the wherewithal to explore it themselves:confused:.

Would you get a grip pal, What could Ireland do ??

Jeeesh.

What could Ireland do but hand over millions of suros worth of gas to a company for a song and then have them charge you expensive market price for the same product?

Of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

i saw it first.

dont expect our govt to do anything that involves a spine.

look what they gave the brits off teh coast of mayo.

Advertisement