Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Partner moving into councel house with me

• 25-05-2012 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi can anyone provide me with information on this ?

I have recently received a councel house which i have been waiting for 7 years to get. In this time i have meet my partner and gotten engaged to be married, I am now wondering If he moves in with me and we go Legal, will the councel take away the house or will we be allowed to keep the house and they just put the rent up ?

I have put a lot of work into the house and furnished it as it came unfurnished and really dont want to have to leave it as i have made it my home.

Can any of you please advise on this ?

Just to make this clear so that i can get a correct response to my question.

1. I am in full time employment and have been for past 5 years.
    2. I Was in full time employment and was means tested on my earnings by the council before i was offered the house.
    3. I received House from the council furnished it and decorated it and made it my home.
    4. Meet my partner and got engaged to be married in 2014.

My question now is as follows, If my partner Moves in with me and my Son and we notify the council of this and state that we would like to remain living there as a couple as i have made it my home, will we be allowed to do this and both our earnings be assessed and rent modified according to our earnings combined, or will the council want us to give up the house ?

Bear in mind please we want to do it legal, we don't want to fraud the council we don't mind been means tested and rent modified according to our earnings, I just don't want to lose the house which i have made a home for myself and my Son.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

I would presume that the council will want to increase the rent as there is now more income in the household.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

I'd assume the same as the pervious poster but I suggest you contct your local citizens advice - they will be able to answer any questions you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

do as above but from my understanding they wont take your house but will means test you and adjust your rent accordingly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

They will not take your home away but they will increase rent accordingly.

Also, a friend of mine wanted to move her boyfriend in recently but he was subject to Garda Clearance before he could because she had children from a previous relationship. Just be aware of this also, not sure if they are doing it for everyone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

They won't take the house away, but the rent will go up a bit (as the rent is based on earnings. The rent should still be very reasonable though).

Normally there is a form that needs to be filled out before someone moves in, but I'm not sure if this applies if someone gets married/enganged (but there is probably some forms to fill out either way). I don't think you will have any problems but maybe to put your mind at ease you could contact Threshold or Citizens Information?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

January wrote: »
    Also, a friend of mine wanted to move her boyfriend in recently but he was subject to Garda Clearance before he could because she had children from a previous relationship. Just be aware of this also, not sure if they are doing it for everyone though.

Wow!
    If the situation was reversed and a man with kids wanted to move his girlfriend in, would the Council be seeking Garda Clearance ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭RedXIV

snubbleste wrote: »

Wow!
    If the situation was reversed and a man with kids wanted to move his girlfriend in, would the Council be seeking Garda Clearance ?

Yes they would. It's not gender specific, it's to ensure that the people they are leasing to aren't going to cause trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

RedXIV wrote: »
    Yes they would. It's not gender specific, it's to ensure that the people they are leasing to aren't going to cause trouble.
    So just parent specific??

Jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭RedXIV

padd b1975 wrote: »
    So just parent specific??

Jaysus.

No, every one is subject to one if they apply for council housing as far as I am aware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

The Councils do not routinely ask for Garda Clearance when someone applies for a local authority house but the application forms ask if you have at any time in the past been convicted of a criminal offence and if that is the case, you are asked for details of offence, date of conviction, sentence served etc. Garda Clearance is now commonplace where involvement with children who are not your own is concerned, but I don't personally know if the council would require clearance if a tenant with a child wished for a new partner who was not the parent of the child to move in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

OP, read your tenancy agreement. You will see that you need the council's permission in advance in writing before ANYONE can move in with you - even your fiance. Ring your local council's housing department and tell them you want to have your fiance move in with you, ask them for the form. Complete and return it. In due course, all being well, you'll have permission for your fiance to move in with you. At that point, your fiance will have to sign an agreement at the council offices, and then can move in, and the council's rent department will re-assess your rent to take account of any income he has. Your rent will (most likely) go up a few quid per week, but not much.

If your fiance (or anyone else) moves in with you without the council giving permission for him/her/them to reside, you will be in breach of the terms of your tenancy agreement and could possibly be evicted.

So call your council up and get it sorted in advance, that's my suggestion. ;)

Congratulations on your engagement. I wish you all the best. :P

Advertisement