Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Means Allowed/BTEA Mistake Made

Options
  • 29-05-2012 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I really hope someone can help me with my query. I am a mature student just finished 1st yr at 3rd level. I went to my local SWO today to sign on for JSA instead of BTEA until term time resumes. Prior to starting BTEA I was receiving 169 in JSA and my husband's means were assessed as 203 per week from self employment. We have 4 children. I received a phone call at the start of term to say I would receive 402 per week BTEA as my husbands means would not be taken into account for the purposes of BTEA and also allowances for the children. I have received this amount since the start of college in September. Today I was informed at the local office that this in fact was a mistake widely made and would be corrected for the forthcoming year - as in from next September I will receive the basic amount as BTEA. I am totally confused. She did say that they would not be looking for the overpayment back. Has this happened to anyone else? Also if my husbands means remain roughly the say at approx 200 per week and I receive 170 approx that is 370 approx for a family of 6 which we cannot survive on. I would be grateful if anyone has any help or further information.
    Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I work part time and my other half is on btea, we have 2 kids. During term time, he gets:

€188 + €124 depended adult (me) + €29.80 x 2 (kids)
    = €371.60
    less means of €152.9 ( I earn about €280 gross per week)
    Net: €218.70 p/w

Hope this helps.

I know his payment was less (188 p/w) for his first year in a course because we didn't know we had to add me and the one child at the time to claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pixie68

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think the problem is that this year as in Sept 11 a mistake was made and some people like me did not have the means deducted so in fact i have been overpaid. I suppose I will have to wait and see what happens or if I recieve anything official by post to clarify the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Best you can do is ask to be reaccessed for means.

Advertisement