Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quitting one job to work the other...

• 26-05-2012 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am currently working two jobs which are conflicting with each other. I have just finished college so I am now eligible for social welfare. The two jobs are mainly weekend work.

I have to quit one in order to work either as both employers are getting annoyed about me working for the other as it conflicts with rostering etc.

I've read that if I leave a job voluntarily without just cause I can't receive JSA/JSB for up to 9 weeks.

Would quitting one to work the other be a justified cause or is it possible I will be DQ for 9 weeks?
    My meeting is on Wednesday morning so I need to decide what to do by then.

How would I explain this to the deciding officer?

Thanks and Regards,

Irishstabber

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

Has nobody any idea how this will be perceived?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Are you quitting both jobs to claim jsb?.If you are only quitting one and going to claim jsb for the days you are not working,you must be able to show a loss of hours in that employment before you will be able to claim for the days you don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

mp22 wrote: »
    Are you quitting both jobs to claim jsb?.If you are only quitting one and going to claim jsb for the days you are not working,you must be able to show a loss of hours in that employment before you will be able to claim for the days you don't work.

No I'm not quitting both.. As I explained I've to leave one in order to work either. They are both weekend work and don't adequately support me financially hence why I'm applying for support. I am just finished college and aggressively seeking employment in my field to no avail.

How can I show a loss of hours in either employment when both overlap at roughly 15 hour per weekend since I've started both.

If it wasnt understood before I either work one or the other each week hence the reason I'm being asked to choose.

I'm basically asking how do I show the deciding officer I quit one job to work the other every week albeit similar hours but constant hours.

Would a letter from the job I stay with be sufficient?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

this is a tough one.

from what i can read you have 2 jobs and have to chose one - but how can you have 2 jobs and not work both.

the question will be asked:-

how have you managed so far with this-if you are not managing can you prove it...
    it is a coincidence that now that you are finished college and can sign on that you cant do both
    the biggest question is are you depriving yourself of an income by giving up the job

also where are you looking for work is it only in the field you are qualified - then you are limiting your work prospects.

have answers for all of the above and see how you get on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement