Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sat nav with speed limits

Options
  • 15-08-2011 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just a quick query which someone on here might know the answer to.

Driving to work this morning through a small village when I spotted a white van up the street. Wasn't paying full attention to my speed and when I glanced down, I was slightly over the limit (3-4km over 50km). Was in a row of cars doing the same speed. Normally very careful with limits - say I'll be ok as I'd spotted the van a long way off and slowed down.

However, it got me thinking. I am sure there are many people who have the same commute through small villages every day and it's very easy to accidentally stray over the limit. Do you know if there are any Sat Nav applications which contain the speed limits? Do any provide a feature that warns you when you go over the limit? Something I'd really be interested in.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Not sure if this is what you're talking about but I have a TomTom unit and it displays the vehicle speed and the permitted speed for the current road on the bottom right of the screen.

If I go more that 10% over the speed limit for the road the indicator background turns red. If I drive from a high speed limit into a sudden lower speed limit - e.g. the M50 bridge had such an area while the booths were in place - I get an audible warning.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Pretty common feature of Garmin and Tom Toms isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

On my TomTom I also have extra warning for speed camera locations... it flashes up the limit to remind me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The GPS on my Nokia 5800 has speeding warning, and my Tomtom XL also has it, so I assume it's on all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Excellent. Thanks for that.

One of the guys in work reckons the co-pilot app for the IPhone has it so I'll be making that purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

paulocon wrote: »
    Excellent. Thanks for that.

One of the guys in work reckons the co-pilot app for the IPhone has it so I'll be making that purchase.

Be aware that the maps would have to be downloaded on the fly as such with many smartphones, they would not stored in the physical memory of the phone. Unless you have and unlimited data plan be very careful :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My Tom Tom has the speed limits on it in most parts and most of them time on pre existing roads its pretty reliable and you can see it, to the metre, change the speed limit when you pass the signpost.

However I wouldn't trust it all the time. Some parts of the M18 are showing as 60km/h and even though I have reported it numerous times it stays the same.

With Tom Tom you can see a max speed limit so that if you hit, lets says 130km/h, an alarm goes off.

When you go 8km/h per hour over any of the speed limits on the Sat Nav it turns red and makes an audible noise. I have all sounds turned off on mine so it just goes red.

Hi,
    However, it got me thinking. I am sure there are many people who have the same commute through small villages every day and it's very easy to accidentally stray over the limit. Do you know if there are any Sat Nav applications which contain the speed limits? Do any provide a feature that warns you when you go over the limit? Something I'd really be interested in.

In the grand scheme of things, The pre existent software is pointless.

If you keep the audio and/or visual warnings turned on they become as effective as passing a speed post and using your Speedo.

You will eventually if not already irritated by the constant warnings
    a) turn it off
    b) begin to "forget about" the warnings.

Plus you have to have your Sat Nav on all the time

I run the same route all week. To be honest,I have all the speeds built into my head at this stage on the different roads. Start 30 then 60 then 120 then 50 then 80 then 100 then 120 then 100 finiishing with 80.

it's kept me point free !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

MugMugs wrote: »
    In the grand scheme of things, The pre existent software is pointless.

If you keep the audio and/or visual warnings turned on they become as effective as passing a speed post and using your Speedo.

You will eventually if not already irritated by the constant warnings
    a) turn it off
    b) begin to "forget about" the warnings.

Plus you have to have your Sat Nav on all the time

I run the same route all week. To be honest,I have all the speeds built into my head at this stage on the different roads. Start 30 then 60 then 120 then 50 then 80 then 100 then 120 then 100 finiishing with 80.

it's kept me point free !

Very fair points. I suppose with any such mechanism, the more you use it, the less useful it becomes.

I too have all the speed limits built into my head and am normally very consistent at keeping to them. It's just for that occassion where you leave home in the morning and your mind is elsewhere (and I know it shouldn't be).

Maybe having a voice shout 'Remember to watch the speedometer' at you once you turn the key in the ignition would be a better approach.. I'm off to the patents office!

It's just for that occassion where you leave home in the morning and your mind is elsewhere (and I know it shouldn't be).

Thats usually when you meet a GATSO or Go Safe van on the side of the road. Happened me a few weeks back on the N2. Havent received anything yet so hoping I was just under. Cant recall what I was doing because of how far off in la la land I was :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 eoin0321

Hi My dash cam has this feature Koonlung KS1 but i dont have the database for it , its looking for a gpsdb.txt file for ireland any help

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The Now Maps app, shows your current speed, and you can set it to beep if you are 1/2/3/4 etc kph/mph over the speed limit. It doesn't tell you if you are in a camera zone, but (i think) it gives the locations for fixed cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Waze shows indicated speed and turns red or something when you exceed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Hector Mildew

Try the Here maps app (seach for Here We Go in the app store). Its free and you can choose which country maps to download for offline use.

Most important for the Op's requirements, it shows speed limits and can be set to give an audible warning when exceeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

2011 thread lock.
    eoin0321, I have copied your post to a separate thread
    Koonlung ks1 speed cam alert database?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement