Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can My Cherry Tree Be Saved?

Options
  • 22-05-2011 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭

The wind has blown over my cherry tree, and it's broken near the bottom of the trunk, as shown in the photos below.

Is it worth trying to save, and if so what should I do?

5394.jpg

5395.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

It's unlikely that you will be able save the portion above the break, at this time of year.
    I would suggest that you make a clean cut above the node (just below the tear in the bark). The tree itself will more than likely survive but it will throw up shoots, so it won't be single stemmed.
    If it broke in last night's wind, there is a slender chance of survival if you could raise the broken portion back into place. Then you would need to bandage it with cord over the break and coat the cord with wax or vaseline (to prevent infection). Then you would need to brace it. Even then it might not save the tree in its current form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Even taping it with Duct tape might save it if it is to be saved. You really need a taller stake than that too, most cherries will grow up before they spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Looks like it broke just above the graft to the rootstock. Best replace it with a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Oh.

didnt see the word 'tree'.

my mistake.

Advertisement