Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primetime Investigates Dodgy Taxis Ltd

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

aidanodr wrote: »
    I find that an interesting statement.

First the EU insists we have to have an NCT test then we have to choose which system based on the level of corruption in it. Our own corrupt system OR an even more corrupt UK based system.

Any chance of a system that is not corrupt? Because if it is degrees of corruption we have to choose between .. WHY BOTHER HAVING A TEST AT ALL?

Aidasn
    the test is not corrupt.
    Some of the testers seem to be.

Another thought:

This could also deliver manna from heaven to Solicitors. The NCT system undermined like this - if technically argued in court where an NCT issue arrises - could get alot of cases struck out. I seem to remember, not too long ago, the gardai "ignored" the NCT disc because the whole NCT thing was subject to legal loopholes? maybe that was something else?

Aidan
    the gardai ignored the lack of a current nct (in the past) because the test centres were unable to cope, strikes, etc and not because of a loophole.
    I can't see any legal cases being affected without concrete evidence of corruption pertaining to the case.

Seems corruption is ripe everywhere in this country :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

kbannon wrote: »
    the test is not corrupt.
    Some of the testers seem to be.

the testers are part of the test system? The test itself cannot work without the testers?

Surely it is a flaw in the test software itself that allows testers to bypass it? And in the general system thats seems to have assumed human corruption was near on impossible. Like with the Financial regulators it seems the phrase "Light Touch" applies here too? But here it is even MORE serious as we are potentially playing with peoples lives.

By the way, Kbannon, thanks for clearing up the Law / loophole thing ..

Aidan

Watch the clip again and see that is nothing to do with software. It is the tester either interfering in the test or not reporting on visual checks. The software can't catch this stuff.

• Advertisement

Watch the clip again and see that is nothing to do with software. It is the tester either interfering in the test or not reporting on visual checks. The software can't catch this stuff.

The software is involved in my opinion. It ultimately prints out the result for the owner. Unless I am mistaken, the tester does not stick a preprinted A4 sheet in a printer and make up the cert in MS Word? If that IS the case, then it should have been obvious from the start that this system is wide open to abuse?

The whistle blower in the clip mentions that to get around worn brakes, one uses the HANDBRAKE instead. He says the software doesnt know the difference. BUT the software IS still involved.

Also, it seems the time of the "corruption" is between the first test AND the retest.

I am sure their are ways to rectify this?

Aidan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

doesnt the handbrake only lock 2 wheels of the 4, whereas the brakes lock all 4, couldnt this be used to stop that trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Every system, and test is open to abuse. Unfortunatley when money becomes involved in anything, stuff gets messy.

Since the fist time I did the NCT, I have believed its nothing more than a racket, I can see the reasons for it, but I still think its a disgrace of a system, the entire sector of Motors from Insurance to tax to NCT in this country needs a overhaul, its just so full of ****.

Add in traceability, make them sign the car out for two years and they wont be taking bribes anymore if there is responsiblilty for the safety of the cars.

At the end of the day your paying e50 for a piece of paper essentially.

Transcribed from PT investigates:

So how did the inspector manage to get around the multi million computerised testing system which is supposed to be foolproof?

PT=Primetime :: WB=WhistleBlower

PT: How can defective cars get through the NCT, for example Emissions, How do you overcome that problem?

WB: Its easy to pull the plug out early before the test is finished

PT: The likes of the footbrake & the handbrake, how can that be overcome? Because thats a computerised system.

WB: Its possible to use Footbrake instead of handbrake or vica versa

PT: In other wise if you are testing the Handbrake you can put your foot on the Footbrake

WB: Could be done the computer wouldnt know.

PT: If their are major faults underneath the car can they be passed aswell

WB: Its up to the guy underneath the lift, what he puts down. If he sees a fault he doesnt have to program it into the computer.

PT: He just basically overlooks it?

WB: He can do yeah

Aidan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Resend wrote: »
    my understandin was the prime time guy drove it from their own independent tester to the nct and back. How did it get from dublin to Navan- was it navan?- was it failed at around 8 am and passed same day miles away?
    You've mixed up the cars - it was the red Honda Civic, that was rented to them, that had failed a test at 8am (in Kells I believe) and then passed a test at 4pm in the afternoon in Fonthill.

Both the dodgy Carina E's were re-tested on different days to the original failure test. They had to inform the contact of the time & date of the retest for it to be fixed for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Im pissed off!! Wheres the complaint form for RTE, how dare they show them like that!! Fair enough they're not really liked too much by punters and that and i've seen some passangers avoid them on taxi ranks and wanting to get into the taxi behind....

.... But they really took the piss when they crushed the Carina!!!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I Was VB wrote: »
    .... But they really took the piss when they crushed the Carina!!!!!
    Ah they didn't really crush it ... they just kinda squished the roof of it a bit before chucking it on the top of the pile :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭nobody3

As usual the honest people in Ireland are being forced to pay the price of corruption at the highest levels of our society :mad:

Top Dog wrote: »
    You've mixed up the cars - it was the red Honda Civic, that was rented to them, that had failed a test at 8am (in Kells I believe) and then passed a test at 4pm in the afternoon in Fonthill.

Both the dodgy Carina E's were re-tested on different days to the original failure test. They had to inform the contact of the time & date of the retest for it to be fixed for them.

How in heck did they get a retest so quickly? Couldn't get a test for my car for 4 weeks! :eek:

unkel wrote: »
    Just watched the program on the RTE player. And the NCT center is the very center I've put 20-30 cars through - Fonthill. I really hope the program will help to get rid of the rotten apples. I betcha there's loads of genuine NCT testers out there who are sick to their stomachs watching this :(

I'm sure there are, but why aren't they calling the Gardai, and if they are; why aren't the Gards and the prosecution service doing anything??? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭kippy

So how did the inspector manage to get around the multi million computerised testing system which is supposed to be foolproof?

PT: How can defective cars get through the NCT, for example Emissions, How do you overcome that problem?

PT: The likes of the footbrake & the handbrake, how can that be overcome? Because thats a computerised system.

PT: In other wise if you are testing the Handbrake you can put your foot on the Footbrake

WB: Its up to the guy underneath the lift, what he puts down. If he sees a fault he doesnt have to program it into the computer.

Aidan
    Have you heard of or seen a better more foolproof and anti corrupt system?
    You havent, cos there isnt one.
    Anywhere you have human interaction you have the potential for corruption/fraud. It's that simple. The only way to reduce it massively is to reduce the human element completely. The system itself may have some potential to be tightened up but essentially it boils down to this: (which you can almost transfer over to any of the issues we've had in this country with politicians and business)
    1. The punishments need to fit the crime. In my opinion this type of thing makes a mockery of the law abiding citizen although some would think its just a minor infringment (this is part of the issue)
    2. Have SOME level of checks and balances on these centers - there doesn't seem to be any level of monitoring going on - perhaps a spot checking (in other centers) of 1 in 100 cars or monitored random visits.
    3. Most importantly - prosecute these fckers and fire the people responsible for the monitoring of such items, and as a nation dont continue to accept the cute hoorism that is rife here and has brought us to our knees. There are about three people (at least) who have some level of ultimate responsibility for this all exceptionally well paid - unlikely anything will happen then. We accept failure.

Aidan
    ...which shows that its not the software at fault. No matter what checks they bring in, a person will find a way around them.
    Anyhow, who said that it was supposed to be foolproof (which is different from corruption proof)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

mike65 wrote: »
    Can you imagine if they introduced "the knowledge" here?

i thought they had some sort of knowledge thing here as the most direct route from say connoly to the point or am i mistaken.

...Anyhow, who said that it was supposed to be foolproof (which is different from corruption proof)

Excellent point, lots of systems out there rely on both a machine and a human to test the integrity of a part/item. The human is trained to operate the machine and to test the part, human can pr1ck around with the machine in many cases to attain a result that is not representative of the item being measured. That's why some staff in med device and pharmaceutical plants and other plants of course get sacked.

Cheers RJ - in many ways it is no different to someone working a till in Dunnes. They are meant to scan the barcode, but what's to say that they don't slip a few items past for their friends?
    You cannot build a software model (for a reasonable cost) that will ensure humans cannot alter the outcome especially where the system is dependant on human input for the outcome.

• Advertisement

You cannot build a software model (for a reasonable cost) that will ensure humans cannot alter the outcome especially where the system is dependant on human input for the outcome.

Very true, I'm working on a vision system to implicitly differentiate parts of various sizes prior to them being part marked at the moment. I didn't spec it so I'm spending the next few days going over the docs to see is it going to be foolproof. I expect it is but also I expect there will be the possibility for folks using it to corrupt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Just to add some balance about my experience of the NCT and it's worth. In multiple tests in Fonthill and Northpoint (both mentioned in the program) I have had defects picked up on the first test, more often than not on the underside of the car, suspension bushings, brake lines, cv boots, etc... Each time they have been clearly marked using a yellow crayon. This made it easy both for me to identify and replace the defective part whitout being taken for a ride by a mechanic replacing more than was necessary and the tester doing the retest to check that it had been replaced.

That's what happens when someone goes in to get their car tested without seeking to subvert the system. Honest people can go and get their cars tested with confidence. The system only breaks when both sides collude to break it, as was clear last night.

To deal with the dodgy folk who subvert the system, manditory prison time for everyone involved since they're putting lives at risk, sack the NCT tester and exclude them from ever working for the state or a for a service provided by a private company to the state. Crush the car, regardless of value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Article

Applus, the company that runs the National Car Testing service is to launch an investigation into dramatic revelations about bribes to pass defective cars, made in last night’s Prime Time Investigates programme.

The RTE show revealed how two taxis, deemed dangerous and unfit by experts and initially failed in the NCT, were passed after the payment of €100 per car.

In a statement this morning, Applus said it would vigorously investigate the matter until all issues raised by the programme, in relation to vehicle inspections, had been fully addressed. It had also reported the matter to the gardai.

Road Safety Authority chief executive, Noel Brett, who oversees the NCT service, said he had raised his concerns with the gardai and would be discussing the matter with Applus.

John Usher of the National Taxi Drivers' Federation said the Prime Time programme was the first real evidence of such illegal activity and he hoped it would begin a process of rectifying such problems."We have rules and regulations there but you can't legislate for what happens at the backdoor of the NCT," he claimed.

Mr Usher said it was now vital that the "backdoor" way around the system was closed and he would be pushing for meeting to ensure that happened. He also complained that there wasn't enough enforcement officers to stamp out this sort of activity.

The National Car Testing service (NCT) has asked RTE to hand over any information it has about alleged wrongdoing over the testing of taxis.

This followed claims made on RTE's 'Prime Time' programme last night that a number of unroadworthy taxis passed the NCT test after cash was handed over to individuals.

Double-jobbing drivers working 23 hours a day, dangerous vehicles, unvetted drivers with criminal records, and ways to pass an NCT in an unroadworthy car, were uncovered by the 'Prime Time Investigates' team.

The programme exposed how taxis could be rented for a weekend for as little as €100 by drivers who didn't have the necessary PSV licences and garda vetting.

Some drivers had serious criminal pasts, the programme claimed.

It also said two vehicles bought by the RTE team were deemed unroadworthy by experts but passed the NCT tests days later when €200 was paid over to certain people.

One driver found by RTE was double jobbing, driving a taxi at night after driving a double-decker bus all day.

On one weekend alone, he started at 5am and drove until 4pm or 5pm in the afternoon, when he finished his bus shift. He then took half-an-hour off before driving the taxi.

He finished at 4.45am the following day, meaning he was driving for around 23 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

RoverJames wrote: »
    Very true, I'm working on a vision system to implicitly differentiate parts of various sizes prior to them being part marked at the moment. I didn't spec it so I'm spending the next few days going over the docs to see is it going to be foolproof. I expect it is but also I expect there will be the possibility for folks using it to corrupt it.

ehh,you're doing what now? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

nobody3 wrote: »
    How in heck did they get a retest so quickly? Couldn't get a test for my car for 4 weeks! :eek:

You're doin it wrong:

€€€€€€€€€

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

paulgalway wrote: »
    Based on the program, they now need to explain why the 9 year rule was removed.

There were a number of reasons the rule was removed and it is only a temporary move

Personally Id sooner get into an 11 year old Merc than a 5 year old almera

We all have are own opinions and thats mine regardless of what age or make the car is it is up to the driver to make sure it is in a roadworthy condition and you cant tell this by flagging a taxi down and getting into it

However I am delighted it has highlighted the fact that the statement of
    "THE TEST CANNOT BE TAMPERED WITH"
    from the NCT is total balony

2 years ago my car fail on rear bushings and headlamp alignment.
    I had a feeling it would fail because I had an argument about a booster seat in the passenger footwell of the car which he wanted me to remove and i wouldnt and didnt

As i said the car fail on the above retested the car 5 days later after doing nothing to it and what do you know
    it passed with flying colours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

I am simply amazed that Applus the operators of the NCT had to be door stepped for a response . That to me is an appalling PR failure any MD or PR manager worth their salt would have co-operated with RTE and have been shown sitting watching the footage and then condemming it and advising the public of immediate action instead, they had to be door stepped in a Tesco car park like something out of the UK,s Rogue Traders. I would think that the MD or PR manager is on a pretty sticky wicket too.

As for Ms Doyle the Taxi regulator well as my mother always told me if you have nothing good to say about someone on € 100 k plus plus a year then say nothing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'd say someone in fonthill is collecting their p45 this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tippx

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Seen that, trying to get back on her feet, maybe she has sea legs!!:D

Apparently there was life jackets in the bus, so why would you need seat belts?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

fryup wrote: »
    i'd say someone in fonthill is collecting their p45 this morning

I'd hope that someone is being collected from Fonthill this morning by the Po-leese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Darsad wrote: »
    I am simply amazed that Applus the operators of the NCT had to be door stepped for a response . That to me is an appalling PR failure any MD or PR manager worth their salt would have co-operated with RTE and have been shown sitting watching the footage and then condemming it and advising the public of immediate action instead, they had to be door stepped in a Tesco car park like something out of the UK,s Rogue Traders. I would think that the MD or PR manager is on a pretty sticky wicket too.

As for Ms Doyle the Taxi regulator well as my mother always told me if you have nothing good to say about someone on € 100 k plus plus a year then say nothing at all.

They dont give a **** why should they? They are guaranteed every car over 10 years to get them e50 for 15 mins work every year, and every car under 10 e50 for two years. They have a serious contract there, TBH I doubt if they give a **** if people are being bribed either.
    They signed a contract, theres nothing anybody can do to them. NCT is a joke, even the garda look at it this way, as do insurance companies. If it was a s relevant as Tax and Insurance Id be in jail by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭HemmingSay

While I agree that you can't design completely tamper proof software and systems, I'm suprised they allow testers to choose which vehicle they test.

A randomised assignment of the available testers to the queued vehicles would ensure they couldn't cherrypick the dodgy ones. There would be ways around it sure, but not as straight forward - and certainly more visible to supervisors. The length of the test is probably fairly regular too, which would help work around the scheduling problems such a system might cause.

If you're not the randomly allocated tester, you can't sign off on the results.

That would remove a lot of the opportunity for corruption, providing the whole place wasn't on the take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

E39MSport wrote: »

They must have known about this. Its interesting that the Taxi Regulator and her office are trying to distance themselves from the affair.

Just like the drug dealers, the big criminals will get away with it, and the street pushers will be locked up until the fuss has died down, and they can all go back to the way things were before Prime Time stuck its nose in. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Genuinely shocked at this, only saw the end but I got the gist. I think it's discusting that taxi drivers are sticking to the law and scraping to make ends meet while the NCT inspectors risk your life. I think the biggest blame is on the NCT inspectors, they're the ones with the position of responsibilty.

As for the foreign aspect, I don't see what this has to do with NCT certs.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

nobody3 wrote: »
    They must have known about this. Its interesting that the Taxi Regulator and her office are trying to distance themselves from the affair.

should be removed from Office immediately if thats her attitude

should be removed from Office immediately if thats her attitude

Even if that does happen, she'll get a nice fat pay off for doing such a great job of regulating the taxis!

Its about time there was a proper co-ordination in the civil service, but this new government has shown us that they're identical to the c@$$^&* they replaced :(

Anyway all the politicians, civil servants, and gardai, are all too busy playing nice with that old woman that's over from England at the moment to take any notice of the problems with the country. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

kona wrote: »
    They dont give a **** why should they? They are guaranteed every car over 10 years to get them e50 for 15 mins work every year, and every car under 10 e50 for two years. They have a serious contract there, TBH I doubt if they give a **** if people are being bribed either.
    They signed a contract, theres nothing anybody can do to them. NCT is a joke, even the garda look at it this way, as do insurance companies. If it was a s relevant as Tax and Insurance Id be in jail by now.

Dont be too surprised if someone at top also picks up their p45. I know if I was the CEO of Applus and I was shown a copy of the primetime piece I would be looking at who I had in charge here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I think it's fair to say, show me a single industry involving human's carrying out an activity, where there aren't short cuts being taken and where you might find a bit of greed and corruption if you scratch below the surface a bit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

What sort of income is the Taxi regulator and her nine inspectors on ?

200k and 60 k an inspector would be my first guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

The Muppet wrote: »
    I had heard of genuine NCT certs available at a price but I never really believed it until tonight. Shocking.
    Heard of it plenty, people say ahh sure people say that but its not true, doesnt suprise me.
    The rust on some of those cars, I'm livid but unsuprised they pulled me up on the NCT over a few millimeters of dirt/rust on a brake line, which was cleaned up and consequently passed the test, only thing is its allowable to scam you for the extra 28 euro.
    alias no.9 wrote: »
    Crush the car, regardless of value.
    Id say crush the car if its unsafe, assuming the owner agrees as its their property.
    HemmingSay wrote: »
    While I agree that you can't design completely tamper proof software and systems, I'm suprised they allow testers to choose which vehicle they test.

A randomised assignment of the available testers to the queued vehicles would ensure they couldn't cherrypick the dodgy ones. There would be ways around it sure, but not as straight forward - and certainly more visible to supervisors. The length of the test is probably fairly regular too, which would help work around the scheduling problems such a system might cause.

If you're not the randomly allocated tester, you can't sign off on the results.

That would remove a lot of the opportunity for corruption, providing the whole place wasn't on the take.

Cant understand after reading the whole thread you are the first person to say this, wanted to lash it in myself, I was thinking this, when getting my own car done recently, guys were swanning around, then went out and hid behind a pillar, then seemed to randomly pick cars, not only should the selection be random, retests should be done by a supervisor (if thats any help? probably not) but especially where a car fails spectacularly or even on a certain number of items, even random follow up on tests by supervisors (or someone that doesnt have a vested interest) before the car leaves NCT, car in ****e, disciplinary action, then spot check the guy, and sack if necessary.

While understood what conor faughnan was saying about testing the equipment, he also seemed to be brushing it off as not their responsibility. Its clear the test isnt robust enough to deter corruption and he should be aiming for that to be something to help eliminate.
    Conor was saying something like the overall percent is low, but if one car gets out there in a bad way it undermines the whole test and its dangerous, if its a taxi it undermines it but its worse because the amount of time its on the road, but its worse again as Joe public loses any faith in it whatsoever, Conor cant fob that ****e off.
    Bloody joke
    I'm happy to get my car checked and paid but the test needs to be carried out in a way such that there is less chance to undermine it and more checking up on people, that Applaus fella getting nabbed in the tescos carpark gave off the same bull, he doesnt give a ****, this will all blow over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

apparently its only cab companies that are regulated,the private drivers are always last to be checked if at all, they arent made jump through the hoops that a cab company are,in regards compliance and deadlines etc..my sister is a manager in one... told me this today

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cianof

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0517/taxi.html#video

Commissioner for Taxi Regulation responds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭kippy

cianof wrote: »

Another review. FFS. This country really is a joke.
    What about some actual change - some people getting fired/resigning/facing criminal charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

35 seconds is what it took me to want to slap some sense into her.

cianof wrote: »

Whoopee, another review! Wonder how much that'll cost? Just a way of pointing the blame at someone other than the Taxi Regulator's department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Crap show, investigative journalism (and the rest for that matter) is dead in this country.

kippy wrote: »
    Another review. FFS. This country really is a joke.
    What about some actual change - some people getting fired/resigning/facing criminal charges.

They'll be charging them about the same time they get round to putting the bankers in the dock. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

lucyfur09 wrote: »
    35 seconds is what it took me to want to slap some sense into her.

Who? the regulator or the woman driving the van with the kids flying around the back?

The regulator not coming on strikes me as utterly stupid, why not answer questions, why hide?
    I'm not a taxi driver nor related to one, but I was really actually against taxis older than 10 years being put off the road (still am, even after seeing that) as a car that is 1 year old could be involved in crash, and be NCT'd as ok although it might have a glaring fault, a ten YO merc or even an almera might be in better nick. If the test was good, it would spot this, either its mechanically sound or not, regardless of age. Taxis just need to be more rigourously checked regarding following up by supervisors double checking as they could be on the road for a lot of hours and preesent more risk as such.

• Advertisement
Advertisement