Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VRT Question

Options
  • 04-08-2009 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi all, just looking to pick some of your respective brains....
    I have just bought a camper in the Uk and am bringing it back shortly. It is plated at 3100kgs, which seems to be somewhere around the VRT limit?
    Can anyone tell me if that weight is ok for the VRT or not, or will they just weigh it at the VRO office when I bring it there?
    thanks....
    MM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mikemike

hi ya ,

I did the same thing recently , but haven't yet changed it to Irish plates .

If the unladen weight is over 3000kgs (might be 3050kgs) the VRT is only €50-€60 , which is good , if the weight is under this they'll hit you with a percentage value of the Irish value .. which is why I was told a couple of years ago , if you're importing a camper , make sure it's as big as possible .

you need to phone your local VRT office and ask them what the exact procedure is , re. weigh station etc. etc.

if you type in 'camper vrt' in the search box on this site you'll get more info ..

best of luck .

which model did you buy ?

mike .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The weight on the plate is usually the maximum rated weight fully loaded, so the unladen weight would be nowhere near the 3 ton mark.

You're in for VRT at 13.5% of the open market sales price, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Motormouth

Its a Elddis Autoking 630. Its a large A class so I thought it might have been portly enough to tipp the scales in my favour!!
    I'll give the VRO a call and see what they say.......
    thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

peasant wrote: »
    The weight on the plate is usually the maximum rated weight fully loaded, so the unladen weight would be nowhere near the 3 ton mark.

You're in for VRT at 13.5% of the open market sales price, unfortunately.

Hi, Can you explain why the lighter vehicles have the higher VRT please.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Hi, Can you explain why the lighter vehicles have the higher VRT please.

Some basic information:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055043527

Try searching within the forum, its safe to say everything you will encounter has been discussed before.

• Advertisement

Some basic information:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055043527

Try searching within the forum, its safe to say everything you will encounter has been discussed before.

Tried that first. Couldn't find out why, just that it is.
    Common sense (not that common sense applies to government thinking) tells me that the bigger the vehicle the higher the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Tried that first. Couldn't find out why, just that it is.
    Common sense (not that common sense applies to government thinking) tells me that the bigger the vehicle the higher the cost.

Yeah unfortunately common sense is far removed from irish reality. The rules are old and probably need an update but as with the discussion on the vehicle testing, maybe it's better off left alone :rolleyes:

Yeah unfortunately common sense is far removed from irish reality. The rules are old and probably need an update but as with the discussion on the vehicle testing, maybe it's better off left alone :rolleyes:

Very true. As there seem to be more large 'vans, compared with mine, I'll leave it at that.

Cheers.

Advertisement