Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus fares go up again - too much?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

Price goes up => Demand goes down.

I'd say the gain in the price increases is offset by decrease in passenger numbers.

It is unsustainable and Dublin bus are facing oblivion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Just because the fare is going up on dublin bus, doesnt mean they are the ones increasing it. And as lxflyer mentioned earlier, its a result of the subsidies being decreased. Less subisidies are going to lead into go higher fares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭rx8

From the Dublin Bus website;...
    "The National Transport Authority and Dublin Bus have introduced new daily and weekly capping levels for customers traveling on Dublin Bus services. From 4th November, customers can make as many trips as they like across the network using Leap Card and their spend will be capped at €6.90 a day or €27.50 a week. There are also discounted capping levels for students at €5.00 a day or €20.00 a week and children at €2.50 a day or €8.20 a week."

Definitely time to switch to Leap cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Saying that people who don't use the Leap Card are all daft is missing the point. A large number of DB customers will be casual users who want to pay cash. I can't see that ever changing, personally. At least until the Leap Card becomes as CONVENIENT and hassle-free as cash, and as reliable!

Personally I have no intention of using a leap card for the forseeable future. I hear so much about charging inconsistencies, downright mis-charging, a difficulty in putting money on the card,and an apparent lack of driver training that it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

I, and many other people who don't necessarily use public transport every weekday will continue to use the change in my pocket because it is the most convenient and least troublesome method available to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭bikeman1

JayRoc wrote: »
    Saying that people who don't use the Leap Card are all daft is missing the point. A large number of DB customers will be casual users who want to pay cash. I can't see that ever changing, personally. At least until the Leap Card becomes as CONVENIENT and hassle-free as cash, and as reliable!

Personally I have no intention of using a leap card for the forseeable future. I hear so much about charging inconsistencies, downright mis-charging, a difficulty in putting money on the card,and an apparent lack of driver training that it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

I, and many other people who don't necessarily use public transport every weekday will continue to use the change in my pocket because it is the most convenient and least troublesome method available to me.

JayRoc, I feel like a leap card worker sometimes! I have got so many of my family and friends onto the leap card. It really is worth getting. And now with the daily/weekly capping, you can't go wrong. You are mad giving Dublin Bus/IE/ Luas a cent more than you have to for the relatively poor service.

Honestly, even if you use public transport 10 times a year its worth having. It's easy to top up, any payzone shop, all railway and luas stations, auto top if you want. Far handier than fumbling for coins and change. Embrace the change and save money!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

bikeman1 wrote: »
    JayRoc, I feel like a leap card worker sometimes! I have got so many of my family and friends onto the leap card. It really is worth getting. And now with the daily/weekly capping, you can't go wrong. You are mad giving Dublin Bus/IE/ Luas a cent more than you have to for the relatively poor service.

Honestly, even if you use public transport 10 times a year its worth having. It's easy to top up, any payzone shop, all railway and luas stations, auto top if you want. Far handier than fumbling for coins and change. Embrace the change and save money!!

Well said that man...and when services such as Dublin Bikes or a Taxi group go on then even the Flattest of Earthers will risk falling over the edge with the EXTRA cost of Cash Payments !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

JayRoc wrote: »

You are exactly who the LEAP epurse is designed for.

Regular users have already got prepaid passes.

sugarman wrote: »
    Great :) ..Its bout time I got myself a little run around, all the more reason to start driving everywhere and only use the bus for heading out on the drink. 25quid a week? For the convenience alone of getting where I want, when I want, whichever way I want and not be left at a bus stop in the pissing rain for half an hour because the bus was a no show ...for 3 to arrive at once. I can spend 30quid a week on fuel and be better off. Hope Dublin bus is run into the ground at this stage.

How much money have they wasted on their new fleats over the years? Ridiculous they scrap all buses over 10yrs of age when theres still plenty of life left in them.

The company actually held the buses for 12 years before replacing them. Most of the fleet were actually sold to operators in the UK for schools services and rail replacement services.

A number of the current fleet have been refreshed to last 16 years.

Clearly you either are rather young, or have a not so clear memory of what the streets of Dublin used to be like when buses were kept in the fleet for far longer, and we had daily breakdowns all over the city.

12 years is the industry average for city bus operations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

Anyone who still pays cash is a fukn retard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

rx8 wrote: »
    From the Dublin Bus website;...
    "The National Transport Authority and Dublin Bus have introduced new daily and weekly capping levels for customers traveling on Dublin Bus services. From 4th November, customers can make as many trips as they like across the network using Leap Card and their spend will be capped at €6.90 a day or €27.50 a week. There are also discounted capping levels for students at €5.00 a day or €20.00 a week and children at €2.50 a day or €8.20 a week."

Definitely time to switch to Leap cards.

So the 5 day prepay is now the same cost as the Leap card. That's good, sometimes I don't have the money to buy the 30 day one so I buy the 5 day one. I wonder how it will work though...I take 4 buses a day, so if I use my leapcard, I presume I just use the ticket scanner for all four journeys instead of having to queue up for the driver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

So the 5 day prepay is now the same cost as the Leap card. That's good, sometimes I don't have the money to buy the 30 day one so I buy the 5 day one. I wonder how it will work though...I take 4 buses a day, so if I use my leapcard, I presume I just use the ticket scanner for all four journeys instead of having to queue up for the driver?

Correct and Right,ibarelycare.

If you wish to use your Rambler then you have no need to embrace your ever friendly Busdriver at all,just offer it to the Remote Validator and walk-on-by.

The Validator will automatically default to the oldest stored Rambler product contained on it.

The only exception to this is for a FIRST validation after 8 PM when the Flat Fare of €2.45 will be deducted instead,unless you have no-credit when the Rambler Day WILL be deducted...(Smart,eh :) )

The other scenario may be if you are only making a single Bus journey on any given day and you do not want to use up a Rambler Day,in which case you Place your Leapcard on the Drivers Ticket Machine to get a Leap Purse Fare.

Either way,this is a HUGE advance in Leapcard Functionality,and now offers Leapcard holders a degree of flexibility not available elsewhere,and all at a cheaper cost than cash.

However,such has been the NTA's lack of marketing skills in relation to Leapcard,it remains an uphill battle to migrate the significant numbers which the ITS system requires to become the NORM for Dublin Public Transport use.

One other major advance would be the opening of the City-Centre Leapcard Walk-In Centres referred to on Leapcards website.

Just as Dublin Bus has 59 O Connell St,Leapcard urgently requires a definitive Location where it's customers customers can be accomodated and NEW customers accquired !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Student Rambler tickets are being abolished and migrated onto Leap, so you'll have to start using it.

When is this happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Correct and Right,ibarelycare.

If you wish to use your Rambler then you have no need to embrace your ever friendly Busdriver at all,just offer it to the Remote Validator and walk-on-by.

The Validator will automatically default to the oldest stored Rambler product contained on it.

The only exception to this is for a FIRST validation after 8 PM when the Flat Fare of €2.45 will be deducted instead,unless you have no-credit when the Rambler Day WILL be deducted...(Smart,eh :) )

The other scenario may be if you are only making a single Bus journey on any given day and you do not want to use up a Rambler Day,in which case you Place your Leapcard on the Drivers Ticket Machine to get a Leap Purse Fare.

Either way,this is a HUGE advance in Leapcard Functionality,and now offers Leapcard holders a degree of flexibility not available elsewhere,and all at a cheaper cost than cash.

However,such has been the NTA's lack of marketing skills in relation to Leapcard,it remains an uphill battle to migrate the significant numbers which the ITS system requires to become the NORM for Dublin Public Transport use.

One other major advance would be the opening of the City-Centre Leapcard Walk-In Centres referred to on Leapcards website.

Just as Dublin Bus has 59 O Connell St,Leapcard urgently requires a definitive Location where it's customers customers can be accomodated and NEW customers accquired !

Thanks...confused by the highlighted bit though? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Thanks...confused by the highlighted bit though? :o

Rather than the card deducting an entire Rambler day after 2000hrs, it will instead take a single fare from the e-purse balance on the card. If there is not sufficient balance on the e-purse, then the card will deduct an entire Rambler day. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Stheno wrote: »
    Agreed, I drive mostly as I don't have a fixed office location I work in, but when I do take the bus, it's always the Swords Express now

Isn't the price of Swords Express going up too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

I would have no issue paying more if it meant not being squashed like sardines during rush hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I would have no issue paying more if it meant not being squashed like sardines during rush hour.
    There's usually loads of room upstairs.

sitstill wrote: »
    When is this happening?

What he means is that the paper ticket is being abolished.

You will still be able to buy a student rambler ticket but you will load it as a product onto the student travel card which doubles up as a LEAP card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

Revised cash, leap and pre-paid fares from December 1st 2013 – Dublin Bus

From December 1st Dublin Bus will increase their fares (As they do every year, urgh) But is it just getting too much?
    • An adult full-stage bus fare currently costs €2.80... which become €3.05
    • €1.65 fare now becomes €1.80
    • a 5 day rambler will now become €27.50
    ... etc

Greedy robbing bastards in my opinion.
    I share that opinion. Cutting service and then raising fares is no way to attract new passengers nor woo back old ones that have told them farewell forever because of switching to automobile or aught else.

But why can't they at least have a round fare? What's with the spare five cent instead of a round €3? because nobody wants to dig for that extra 5c. And extra ticket media (e.g. all your assorted "leap cards" and so forth) is part of the cost as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

Student Rambler tickets are being abolished and migrated onto Leap, so you'll have to start using it.

Have they set a date for this? Thought it was supposed to be done around August but no mention..

Would rather it on the leapcard than having to carry the ticket and student leap card around.
    I've no problem with the leapcard, find it useful for trains etc outside of the prepaid ticket.

• Advertisement

fta93 wrote: »
    Have they set a date for this? Thought it was supposed to be done around August but no mention..

Would rather it on the leapcard than having to carry the ticket and student leap card around.
    I've no problem with the leapcard, find it useful for trains etc outside of the prepaid ticket.

It is available now!

Full list of products available on LEAP are here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

lxflyer wrote: »
    It is available now!

Full list of products available on LEAP are here.

Apologies, completely missed it over the past few weeks! Handier I suppose.

Presume the ticket will go up to 100 euro on Jan 1 on the leap card too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

At get rid of the poxy 5 cents and make it €3

The_Gatsby wrote: »
    At get rid of the poxy 5 cents and make it €3

Get a LEAP card and make it €2.50.

fta93 wrote: »
    Apologies, completely missed it over the past few weeks! Handier I suppose.

Presume the ticket will go up to 100 euro on Jan 1 on the leap card too..

It is exactly the same product - you just load it onto the card rather than getting a paper ticket.

It will cost €100 from January 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

It is exactly the same product - you just load it onto the card rather than getting a paper ticket.

It will cost €100 from January 1st.

With the €20 euro a week student cap it might be better to just use the e purse on the leap card than a 30 day rambler depending on how you use the bus.

If you use it everyday 100 would get you 5 weeks or 35 days use, if you just use the bus Monday to Friday or less then 30 day rambler would be better as you'd get 6 weeks for the 100 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Anyone who still pays cash is a fukn retard
    Tone it down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Get a LEAP card and make it €2.50.

I get a 5 day student pass for €18.30. I hope they don't increase this as well or I probably will be getting a leap card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

If you look at the document detailing the proposals from Dublin Bus they wanted to increase Leap fares at the same rate as cash fares (~8-10%), but the 'Authority' would only allow them to increase Leap fares by ~2-3%. So Dublin Bus weren't actually intending to treat Leap Card users differently in the hike. :P Thank you 'Authority'!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Incredible to think that we the taxpayers are funding this company .A company that is losing money on a continuous basis ,wont do anything to change this but decides the best way is to put fares up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,162 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    Incredible to think that we the taxpayers are funding this company .A company that is losing money on a continuous basis ,wont do anything to change this but decides the best way is to put fares up.
    fairs are going to go up anyway because the subsidy is being and is going to continue to be cut, even if dublin bus reduced its costs any savings will be wiped by a subsidy cut, the tax payer is going to pay no matter who runs it, and the majority of the services are and always will be loss making unless cars are completely banned from dublin city which isn't going to happen

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Stobart

I used to pay 20 euro plus on cash fares a week, then I switched to leap which brought it under 19 euro, then through work I got an annual taxsaver bus ticket which brought it down to around 11 euro a week when you take into account the tax saving. And the best about the annual ticket is that i can now use the bus at the weekends for "free" as before it would have cost me on top of my work commute.

I have been guilty of just going along with the "norm" of paying cash fares and being too lazy to look for alternatives but there is really big savings to make for some people even with the increases due.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Public Transport in Ireland and specifically Dublin Bus, must be the most expensive transport service in Europe at this stage.

They've basically increased their cash paying fares by 25% in the space of 11 months. Always the same bullsh*t excuse, decreasing passenger numbers and increased fuel costs.

Passenger numbers: Despite citing a decline in passenger numbers as a reason for increasing fares, it can be clearly seen that revenues have increased since 2010 as a result of these measures and regardless of passenger decline.

2010 = 119 million (Average fare of 2.15 = 255.8m) Actual revenue 170.3m
    2011 = 117 million (Average fare of 2.30 = 269.1m) Actual revenue 170.0m
    2012 = 115.2 million (Average fare of 2.60 = 299.5m) Actual revenue 183.2m

From December if we assume Dublin Bus do not increase fares again until 2015. It could be projected that their passenger numbers will decrease to 113m if the current trend continues. Yet at an average fare of 2.80 would see revenues at 316.4m

Increased fuel costs:

They used 305,663 MWh of Diesel fuel in 2011 compared to 284,767 MWh in 2012. Surely any increase in fuel cost would have been offset by the decrease in consumption?

I find their reasoning to be deceptive and based solely on the fact they are unwilling to tackle the main reasons for their troubles. They are also passing this burden onto the paying customer who are already paying substantially more for fares than they should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Stobart wrote: »
    I have been guilty of just going along with the "norm" of paying cash fares and being too lazy to look for alternatives but there is really big savings to make for some people even with the increases due.

Excellent post highlighting the fact that many people are probably paying 50%-100% more than they need to on public transport. The Irish need to move away from their cash-fare addiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,162 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Faustino wrote: »
    Public Transport in Ireland and specifically Dublin Bus, must be the most expensive transport service in Europe at this stage. They've basically increased their cash paying fares by 25% in the space of 11 months. Always the same bullsh*t excuse, decreasing passenger numbers and increased fuel costs.
    not bull**** at all, numbers are down due to the recession, i don't believe they get the fuel rebate anymore, the belief that fuel consumption is down is probably due to the fact their are less busses on the road due to network direct, however these busses are used more intensively.
    I find their reasoning to be deceptive and based solely on the fact they are unwilling to tackle the main reasons for their troubles.
    they are tackling the reasons, not quick enough but it is happening.
    They are also passing this burden onto the paying customer who are already paying substantially more for fares than they should be.
    because the subsidy is being cut, why do people fail to remember this? if the subsidy is being cut and is going to continue to be cut then the money has to come from somewhere, cuts in wages and staff can only do so much, otherwise it will be whats happening (the customer pays more) or services will be cut which is a lot worse then paying more IMO, or worse again it will be service cuts and higher fairs together.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

not bull**** at all, numbers are down due to the recession, i don't believe they get the fuel rebate anymore, the belief that fuel consumption is down is probably due to the fact their are less busses on the road due to network direct, however these busses are used more intensively.

they are tackling the reasons, not quick enough but it is happening.

because the subsidy is being cut, why do people fail to remember this? if the subsidy is being cut and is going to continue to be cut then the money has to come from somewhere, cuts in wages and staff can only do so much, otherwise it will be whats happening (the customer pays more) or services will be cut which is a lot worse then paying more IMO, or worse again it will be service cuts and higher fairs together.

I think you'll find it has been a case of service cuts and higher fares.

And if you believe the increase in fares is down to the subsidy being cut then you must surely agree with me that their public statement regarding the fare increases has been deceptive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

My biggest expense after food (which we sort of need to live) is transport. I have to get a rail and bus ticket every month, at the moment they cost €142 a month. I think they'll increase it another 10%. I'm also unemployed right now so €150+ euro out of a €188 dole payment is pretty ****ty.

I don't know how these leap cards work if your using both rail and bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

I find their reasoning to be deceptive and based solely on the fact they are unwilling to tackle the main reasons for their troubles.

The main reason for their troubles is the reduction in government subsidy. However should they tackle this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

Aard wrote: »
    Excellent post highlighting the fact that many people are probably paying 50%-100% more than they need to on public transport. The Irish need to move away from their cash-fare addiction.

The other side of the coin (sic) is that Dublin Bus have "progressively" removed a number of prepaid tickets or greatly increased pre-paid ticket prices to such an extent that the cheapest options in some cases were the cash-fares. As of yet while the leap card is greatly welcomed, it's not yet the game changer it should be...

D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

The main reason for their troubles is the reduction in government subsidy. However should they tackle this?

Well they could make an attempt to tackle another of their problems, namely fare evasion.

That said another of their major problems is the free travel scheme, the amount of people entitled to it, and the funding of it and how open it is to abuse, but again that is apparently out of their hands, it will be interesting to see how the NTA tackle it when it becomes their problem. But going on its past history it will just get the paying passengers to pay more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I've never understood why almost every second person has a free pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I've never understood why almost every second person has a free pass.
    vote buying...

Advertisement