Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using return ticket twice

• 29-10-2013 1:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭

Went from Connolly to Sligo on the train on Friday, but i got a lift i couldn't refuse back to Dublin for Sunday.

Can i use the Sligo to Connolly part of the return ticket on Friday to go to Sligo without having to buy another ticket or a single ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bird Brain

are u for real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As I understand it, no. Next time you are heading down, buy a single and use the second half of the ticket you have now for the return journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Went from Connolly to Sligo on the train on Friday, but i got a lift i couldn't refuse back to Dublin for Sunday.

Can i use the Sligo to Connolly part of the return ticket on Friday to go to Sligo without having to buy another ticket or a single ?

No.

Victor wrote: »
    As I understand it, no. Next time you are heading down, buy a single and use the second half of the ticket you have now for the return journey.

The OP can't do that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Hilly Bill wrote: »

If its a monthly return why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Nonsense. Provided the OP purchased an open return, the OP can use the return portion whenever they like to return from Sligo to Dublin within 30 days of the date printed on the ticket.

Victor is quite right in his statement.

The only scenario that restrictions would apply would be if it's an online ticket.

If its a monthly return why not?

Its in the wrong direction.

Its in the wrong direction.

Re-read what was posted...buy a new single ticket to Sligo then take the return trip with the current ticket (which is valid)

lxflyer wrote: »
    Nonsense. Provided the OP purchased an open return, the OP can use the return portion whenever they like to return from Sligo to Dublin within 30 days of the date printed on the ticket.

Victor is quite right in his statement.

The only scenario that restrictions would apply would be if it's an online ticket.

If it was an open return from Sligo to Connolly and it's in date then ye of course he can but here is the bit you missed the OP went in the other direction. The ticket is now void and he/she must now purchase another ticket to Sligo .

Re-read what was posted...buy a new single ticket to Sligo then take the return trip with the current ticket (which is valid)

The OP can do that if its an open return and wants to come back to Dublin but thats not whats being asked.

• Advertisement

The OP can do that if its an open return and wants to come back to Dublin but thats not whats being asked.

Whats being asked was answered (twice)...buy a new ticket to Sligo, if its an open return (and in date) use the current ticket to get back to Dublin :rolleyes:

If it was an open return from Sligo to Connolly and it's in date then ye of course he can but here is the bit you missed the OP went in the other direction. The ticket is now void and he/she must now purchase another ticket to Sligo .

Why don't you re-read what Victor posted. He said that the OP cannot use that unused portion of the return ticket to go from Dublin to Sligo. However, he helpfully pointed out that it can be still used for a trip from Sligo to Dublin.

The OP bought a return ticket from Dublin to Sligo.

He/she used the first portion to go to Sligo.

He/she can still use the return portion for a trip from Sligo to Dublin within 30 days of the date on the ticket, provided it was an open return ticket.

In the meantime he/she can buy a single to Sligo and use the aforementioned return portion for the return trip.

That's what everyone else in this thread has been saying.

Why don't you re-read what Victor posted. He said that the OP cannot use that unused portion of the return ticket to go from Dublin to Sligo. However, he helpfully pointed out that it can be still used for a trip from Sligo to Dublin.

The OP bought a return ticket from Dublin to Sligo.

He/she used the first portion to go to Sligo.

He/she can still use the return portion for a trip from Sligo to Dublin within 30 days of the date on the ticket, provided it was an open return ticket.

In the meantime he/she can buy a single to Sligo and use the aforementioned return portion for the return trip.

That's what everyone else in this thread has been saying.

It's what i said in the post you relied too :). But the answer to the original post is still no :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

he can't use the ticket to go the wrong direction, that is correct. He can however still use it in the correct direction if he gets himself to Sligo b some other means (ie a single)

Whats being asked was answered (twice)...buy a new ticket to Sligo, if its an open return (and in date) use the current ticket to get back to Dublin :rolleyes:

No, he is asking can he use it to go the wrong way. He cannot do this. Read the OP

corktina wrote: »
    he can't use the ticket to go the wrong direction, that is correct. He can however still use it in the correct direction if he gets himself to Sligo b some other means (ie a single)

Which is what everyone is saying, including Victor!

not everyone!

Which is what everyone is saying, including Victor!

We dont even know if it was an open return in the first place.

There is not even any evidence he intends to make a return journey to Sligo . He wants to know if he can use the unused portion to get TO Sligo, to me that would suggest coming back isn't on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

thanks for all the replies.

it is an open return so i can use it get back to Dublin next Sunday or even the Sunday after, looks like ill have to buy a single in Connolly on Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

thanks for all the replies.

it is an open return so i can use it get back to Dublin next Sunday or even the Sunday after, looks like ill have to buy a single in Connolly on Friday

If you order your single ticket on line it should be a lot cheaper than the walk up single.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

If you order your single ticket on line it should be a lot cheaper than the walk up single.

im a student, and it's actually dearer online with booking charges etc than just getting on the day

Advertisement