Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renault key cards

• 18-10-2010 10:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46

Hi All
    Renault key cards a pain for all renault owners.These cards are married to the car they were programmed to.You can not buy second hand cards off Ebay and then get them reprogrammed into your car.Cannot be done no matter what the ebay seller tells you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sick of people asking you to try?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How are they a pain for owners?

All ours are grand. The only issue arises if you break or lose them, same as with pretty much any car key nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Stekelly wrote: »

All ours are grand. The only issue arises if you break or lose them, same as with pretty much any car key nowadays.

I think its the sheer size of the card leads to them getting broken. People end up putting them in their back pocket and after a few years of sitting on them they eventually split.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, not really much bother with them here. Don't keep it in my back pocket so I can't see the card splitting any time soon.

I guess if you lose both of them you need to get a new control unit in the car and two new keys? Or can new keys from Renault be programmed to the car?

When we got ours the wife casually remarked that, "Those keys are deadly. They even come with a little coin that you can use in your shopping trolley".
    "Eh, love, that's the battery". :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Stekelly wrote: »

Two mates with Renaults both key cards broke, pure dung imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

They're pure s'hite! I've had 2 stop working for no apparent reason, plus 1 lost, through my own negligence I suppose (but I wouldn't have lost it if it was on my keys!) and the actual reader unit packed up, again for no apparent reason. They're way too delicate. That adds up to the best part of a grands worth (say 750 discounting the one i lost) in under 5 years! I've never once had a problem with any key for any other car i've had.

PS: you can change the card reader without changing the keys and vice versa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

1 lost, through my own negligence I suppose (but I wouldn't have lost it if it was on my keys!)

But you can attach ur keys..
    000key-card.jpg

The ol lad had 3 Renaults with the key cards.. no problems bar the odd dead battery..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭useless

I rented an Espace last summer. I thought I was being the right clever chap putting the holiday apartment keyring on the car keycard... and then realising that the keycard went into the ignition 'hole-side-down' :rolleyes:
    Not my brightest moment:)

But you can attach ur keys..
    000key-card.jpg

The ol lad had 3 Renaults with the key cards.. no problems bar the odd dead battery..

The hole in mine is where the card goes into the dash, keyring would block it. You can get a key ring clamp gizmo for the type of card I have which the card clips into, but it doesn't look very sturdy tbh. An evil plan to cause even more lost cards perhaps! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Thankfully the new keys from renault are redesigned. Though the hole for key ring is now moved it becomes irrelevant now that you do not need to insert the key:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

seamus wrote: »
    I guess if you lose both of them you need to get a new control unit in the car and two new keys? Or can new keys from Renault be programmed to the car?

To be fair thats the same with any car nowadays. If you lose a key (for any car) you really should be getting a 2nd one sorted before you lose your only one. Getting a key for a car that is stuck somewhere is a massive pain and in most cases and involves getting the car recovered to a dealer.
    MoodeRator wrote: »
    Thankfully the new keys from renault are redesigned. Though the hole for key ring is now moved it becomes irrelevant now that you do not need to insert the key:cool:

Yeah much handier now, to the point where if I'm driving the mothers megane then go to the missus Scenic I find actually having to push the button on the key to open the door and then put it in the reader on the Scenic an unessecary annoyance. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭cml387

One failed on me. Becasue I'm in the electronics industry I opened it up to see if it could be revived, but no joy.

At work we estimated the cost of the key (circuit board and components + labour in assembly) at between 5 to 10 euro.

And Renault charge how much for a replacement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 austin.keegan

Does anyone know if there's an alternative to going to Renault when one of these is faulty.
    Our one and only Key Card has conked out and we're looking at €300 from Renault to get it replaced,

Any help gratefully received

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

cml387 wrote: »
    One failed on me. Becasue I'm in the electronics industry I opened it up to see if it could be revived, but no joy.

At work we estimated the cost of the key (circuit board and components + labour in assembly) at between 5 to 10 euro.

And Renault charge how much for a replacement?

Hi cml387,

Just wondering how you opened it?
    I'm in the electronics industry myself but am a bit cagey about opening mine.

Thanks,

IM

It will open the car but when we try to start it, we get problems.
    Sometimes it won't stop.
    It's giving messages like 'press stop twice'.
    We had problems like this last Christmas, and had to get the card reprogrammed.
    It's the only card we've got so we're a bit nervous about using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Donal at KC Systems, Watergrasshill, Cork, repairs these. Was charging about 70 or 80 euro, don't have a recent price.

www.kcsystems.ie

Check out autokey.ie, they repair the cards for €80 or supply a new one for €180, much cheaper than renault. I think for a replacement though you need to have an existing card for them to copy.
    Are you sure it's your card though, sounds similar to a problem i was having, which turned out to be the reader, which is just a plug in device, a mechanic swapped mine on the side of the road in less than a minute, no programing required (which renault told me there was!)

Thanks for your responses.
    How would I know if it was just the Reader, and not the Card itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

It will open the car but when we try to start it, we get problems.
    Sometimes it won't stop.
    It's giving messages like 'press stop twice'.
    We had problems like this last Christmas, and had to get the card reprogrammed.
    It's the only card we've got so we're a bit nervous about using it.

Given the cost and hassle of having to endure being stuck on the side of the road and waiting for a pickup truck etc you'd be better off purchasing a NEW second key.

Think of the peace of mind you will acquire :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

can autokey.ie do anything for you if your in cork like me?

• Advertisement

Not sure about the answer to either of those questions, sorry!
    It was renault told me i needed a new reader and then i just found out by chance that they didn't need to fit it, they spun me a yarn about it having to be matched to the car and so on, but no such thing, i watched the guy change it...... plug out old one, plug in new one, simple as that. He charged me €100, i think renault wanted €280 or something like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

I've lost my spare key, but the car is under warranty - will I void it by not going to renault for the spare? Auto key are quoting my 70 quid less than renault, but not worth voiding the warranty for €70!

Advertisement