Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax a commercial as a private vehicle?

• 14-08-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to get a commercial and tax it as a private vehicle? Looking at the Nissan navara, but have seen a few others. Many are listed as commercial, but have crew cabins etc. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

If I remember there was a big revenue thing last year that they wanted to insist if people used a commercial vehicle for private they should tax as private, I may be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭matchthis

Remembering hearing something about this too. Guess it could be just a case of declaring it as private. I heard the guards were clamping down on commercial being used as private as opposed to vice versa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Friend of mine has a Peugeot 207 van taxed and insured privately, so it is possible.

He had a row at the toll recently, and won :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Theres no problem taxing it privately. I cant see any council turning down someone offerign to pay triple the amount of motor tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

matchthis wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a commercial and tax it as a private vehicle? Looking at the Nissan navara, but have seen a few others. Many are listed as commercial, but have crew cabins etc. Thanks

Yes. you may experience problems with getting a reasonable inurance quote though and with getting it tested. I came across it myself when i wanted to tax a van as my private car when i no longer needed to use a van for work (was a nice handy reliable van, didn't want to stop using it and didnt need lots of seats). The tax is fine you just change over, but you still have to do the DOE test and the NCT centres here refused to test it, despite the new private vehicle status, insurance companies threw fits over it "not having the appropriate type of test", they freaked out because they wanted it to do the NCT instead of DOE but NCT crowd wouldn't let it in.

Same thing thing has happened about an old 4x4, even though it was imported as a 7 seater, registered as that, did nct tests then after a few years was changed to commercial, and now with the seats back in, changed back to private tax the it's somehow permanently stuck being classed as a commercial as if it was a truck or something that could never be a normal everyday vehicle, even though it was taxed private first, then changed to commercial then changed back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Friend of mine has a Peugeot 207 van taxed and insured privately, so it is possible.

He had a row at the toll recently, and won :P

I've had that row with the limerick tunnel, but over a passat estate. I had the rear seats folded down flat to allow me to collect a friend's obscenely large new television (cost more than the car, which i found hilarious, and also going into a tiny bedroom), but i was on the way back home and didn't bother butting the seats back up, so the moron at the toll plaza decided it was "a van" and "doesnt have any seats".

Advertisement