Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J# ??? What is it?

Options
  • 04-04-2007 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,362 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, what's the story with J#? I kinda came across a reference to it the other day, had never heard of it before... Am I right in saying that it's like an early version of Java, but on the .Net platform? Is it any good? Worth a look like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

It is exactly that a Microsoft version of java that they got there ass sued for.

Now dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,362 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

NutJob wrote:

Now dead.

What you mean dead? As in no longer about? Because there's still download links on the Microsoft site...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'm taking it as an idea similar to C#? Microsoft programming in a similar syntax to Java, not Java itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

it's java that compiles into the common language runtime for .NET
    You're better off learning c#, which is very similar to java anyway.
    J# is not widely used

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

IIRC it was J++ that microsoft got sued for. J# is a .net implimentatin of Java or something similar. Why bother though? As pwd said, use C#.

• Advertisement

Ya, think i'll do that, was just curious to what it was... Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

They changed the method names to use capital letters or whatever to avoid being sued... so i'm told

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Jeez...

I typed J# into the box in google, and between the first three hits, I could see the Microsoft J# homepage, the .Net 2005 Express edition IDe for it, and the Wikipedia entry.

I also don't get how you can know there's a download on the MS site but not know what it is. I mean..seriously...I don't think there's a page on Microsoft's site which doesn't have a search box. Put J# in there and you'll also get to the J# homepage, where they tell you what it is.

Yes, I'm being snappy. I'm a grumpy git who hates people asking questions where the answer is hard to not find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

You're not being grumpy bonkey, you're being a realist. People ask dumb questions and get spoon fed all the time; they're used to it from the college environment.

I agree with you 100%. Use google.

scojones wrote:
    They're used to it from the college environment.

Or they're just lazy.

• Advertisement

Or it could have been that I wanted an unbiased opinion on what it was, Microsoft tend to glorify their own products a bit... Sorry for bloody asking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

[quote= scojones]
    They're used to it from the college environment.

[/quote]

Or they're just lazy.

a little bit harsh in here today the heat getting to ye:D

Nah, just the constant questions that are easily answered with a smattering of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

bonkey wrote:
    Jeez...

I typed J# into the box in google, and between the first three hits, I could see the Microsoft J# homepage, the .Net 2005 Express edition IDe for it, and the Wikipedia entry.

I also don't get how you can know there's a download on the MS site but not know what it is. I mean..seriously...I don't think there's a page on Microsoft's site which doesn't have a search box. Put J# in there and you'll also get to the J# homepage, where they tell you what it is.

Yes, I'm being snappy. I'm a grumpy git who hates people asking questions where the answer is hard to not find.

If people are prepared to answer then what is the harm?

Right, I too am guilty of dragging this off topic. Sorry for that, I should be setting a better example.

Anyway, the question has been answered.

Thead is now locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement