Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shay Elliot Memorial Race and SHA3 April 26th 2014

Options
  • 26-03-2014 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Details of the Shay Elliot Memorial Race and SHA3 - Saturday 26th April 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭velogirl

Just to let everyone know that this will now start an hour later than previously stated due to a potential clash with the WAR race in Laragh on the same day.

Start time is now 12 noon with sign on from 10 - 11.30

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Postponing the inevitable suffering. Classy :)

I'm both looking forward to this and absolutely terrified of this in equal measures. It will be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

ShayElliott2014Posterscreen_zps39a55847.jpg

Bray Wheelers Cycling Club and sponsors Sinnott Autos, Hollingsworth Cycles, Suzuki and Base.ie are proud to announce details of the 57th Shay Elliott Memorial and Inaugural SHA3 Races.

Racing will take place on Saturday April 26th, 2014 and sign-on for all races is between 10am and 11.30 am in the Bray Wheelers Clubhouse, Schools Road, Bray location

57th Shay Elliott Memorial
    Race start: 12.00 noon
    Race distance: 140km (3km neutral roll out)
    Primes: 14km & 106km
    A+/A1/A2 Licence holders only
    Entry: €15
    Route: www.ridewithgps.com/routes/3868243

Cash prizes for top 12 riders and first 8 unplaced A2

SHA3 Race
    Race start: 12.05 pm
    Race distance: 89km (3km neutral roll out)
    Prime: 14km
    A3/Junior/Lady Licence holders only
    Route: www.ridewithgps.com/routes/3868223

Cash prizes for top 6 A3/Junior riders and first lady

Parking: Parking within the confines of Bray Wheelers Clubhouse grounds will be limited to official race vehicles only. Riders are asked to approach to the club house with care at which point they will be directed to the adjacent grounds of St. Kilian’s Community School where there are ample spaces. Riders are asked, as far as possible, to refrain from parking on Schools Road.

Presentation and Prize giving: Bray Wheelers Clubhouse

Shower and changing facilities available as well as food and refreshments in the Clubhouse.

Note:Please note that upon completion of both races there is a 14km cooldown to Race HQ.

Going to be a great days racing. Really looking forward to the A3 race (knowing full well that I will simply be in survival mode once the we turn at Glenmalure for the Elliott).

There was a lot of chatter last year about folks looking for tougher routes. Hopefully this will be well supported and viable for the club to run it again other years. Whatever about racing being difficult to organise on circuits that loop, running races on routes like this take a hell of a lot of work!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

Really wanted to do this last year, but didn't qualify. Will be there on the day at the start line, and hopefully the finish line at some point! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I really want to do this one. A week after the Gorey Three Day and all. I must be mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I really want to do this one. A week after the Gorey Three Day and all. I must be mad.

DO IT

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Plastik wrote: »

SHA3 Race
    Race start: 12.05 pm
    Race distance: 89km (3km neutral roll out)
    Prime: 14km
    A3/Junior/Lady Licence holders only
    Route: www.ridewithgps.com/routes/3868223

Cash prizes for top 6 A3/Junior riders and first lady

Just wanted to check - is this for women with A3 licences only? (i.e. no A4 women racers)

ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Pawlie

Kill or Be killed time muhahahaha gona be fun

• Advertisement

Do it. You'll have great legs after Gorey :)
    QueensGael wrote: »
    Just wanted to check - is this for women with A3 licences only? (i.e. no A4 women racers)

I'll double check and come back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I'd like to take my daughter to watch this, preferably on the Shay Elliot ('cos there is no better way to entice the next generation into cycling than showing them a race filled with faces masked in severe pain, right?...). Does anyone know whether there is car parking available within walking distance of Shay Elliot? And has it typically been especially difficult to find somewhere to park on the day of the race in previous years?

There's a small car park at the top of the elliott and a couple of dead end access roads up at the top too so there should be no problem finding a spot. There's usually a small crowd up there to watch and cheer.

You're looking at roughly 1.30 for the A3 race and 2.15 for the Elliott. Much as the kids will find it boring it would be a good idea to get there with a bit of time to spare so you don't meet the race at full throttle on the descent.

Sort the kids out with a cowbell and it'll keep them entertained :)

You're looking at roughly 1.30 for the A3 race and 2.15 for the Elliott.

Doozerie, will ye stick the kettle on for me at about 3pm so!!

lennymc wrote: »
    Doozerie, will ye stick the kettle on for me at about 3pm so!!

Good thinking, a dose of scalding water chucked over you will certainly add to the motivation to get up the hill and away. :)

Nice promo thanks to the guys at Black Umbrella :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭velogirl

Just over a week to go - hoping for a great turnout :)

Enthusiastic 4yr old? Check!

Cowbell? Check!

All set. I suggest that ear defenders be issued to all riders at the base of the Shay Elliot though.

All the Easter madness done and dusted. Some guys will think they have great legs, others wondering why they ever took part. The big races are coming thick and fast now though so getting the recovery right over the next few days will be important for a lot of people.

Only four more sleeps until the next of Ireland's one-day classics. Around longer than either E3 Harelbeke or the Amstel Gold ...

http://veloviewer.com/route/7061051 [interactive 3D map]

r7061051.png

http://veloviewer.com/route/7061050 [interactive 3D map]

r7061050.png

Just to reinforce their considerable squad, Timmy Barry fancies getting his name on the trophy a second time! Very unfortunate last year having punctured at the top of the Elliott having been away in a very select lead group.

http://www.irishcyclingphotos.com/?p=30742

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭QueensGael

I'll double check and come back to you.

Hi Plastik, were you able to find out if this is open to women with A3 licences only? (i.e. no A4 women racers). We'd like to put out the word on the womenscycling.ie site, but need some details.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

This should be a sensational race. I presume the super-juniors are returning from their sojourns around Belgium, Norn Iron etc. to race us into the Wicklow dirt?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

If the Norwegians are right this time round then this is going to be epic. Not much rain but the wind should do some serious damage.

QueensGael wrote: »
    Hi Plastik, were you able to find out if this is open to women with A3 licences only? (i.e. no A4 women racers). We'd like to put out the word on the womenscycling.ie site, but need some details.

Thanks!

Hi QueensGael, apologies for the delayed response. It would be fantastic you were able to promote it on womenscycling.ie. The SHA3 race will open to any lady that holds an A3 licence and we would absolutely delighted to see a few sign on.
    smurphy29 wrote: »
    This should be a sensational race. I presume the super-juniors are returning from their sojourns around Belgium, Norn Iron etc. to race us into the Wicklow dirt?

There's a few on the way alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Hi QueensGael, apologies for the delayed response. It would be fantastic you were able to promote it on womenscycling.ie. The SHA3 race will open to any lady that holds an A3 licence and we would absolutely delighted to see a few sign on

Info tweeted from Women's Commission account, https://twitter.com/womenscyclingie... and link posted on calendar... http://womenscycling.ie/calendar/ as requested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

Good luck to one and all doing this Iconic monument tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

Good luck to everyone doing this this afternoon! I do hope the conditions improve. Just back from a spin less than an hour ago. Went up to Johnny Foxes from Stepaside, then on to Cruagh, the viewpoint and Featherbeds/Military Road. The plan was to do Sally Gap, then home via Kilbride > Valleymount and onto the N81, but the conditions up the Featherbeds were pretty rough - 50km/h+ wind, hail and rain - so, went left at Glencree, down into Enniskerry. I think I can safely say that descent is the coldest I've been on a bike in a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Pure awful out there today. I didn't even get up the Shay Elliot to cheer the lads on as had been my intention, the weather was so bad. By the time my lift arrived in Laragh to whisk me away home in warmth, we slotted in right behind a breakaway of two riders. One was from Aquablue, the other I don't know. They were absolutely flying along.

Met a rider from the earlier A3 race and I understand that there was a crash in it. He climbed off in Laragh with the cold and wet. It was just not nice at all to be out there, either racing or waving flags!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Pure awful out there today. I didn't even get up the Shay Elliot to cheer the lads on as had been my intention, the weather was so bad. By the time my lift arrived in Laragh to whisk me away home in warmth, we slotted in right behind a breakaway of two riders. One was from Aquablue, the other I don't know. They were absolutely flying along.

Met a rider from the earlier A3 race and I understand that there was a crash in it. He climbed off in Laragh with the cold and wet. It was just not nice at all to be out there, either racing or waving flags!

Damien Shaw and Eddie Dunbar who then finished 1st and 2nd in that order, apparently they put over 2 mins into everyone else.

Advertisement