Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Election Posters getting in the way?

• 24-04-2014 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi,
    just wondering if anyone else has a problem with these? I am a tall rider, and yesterday evening I hit a number of posters that were mounted very low, and into the cycle lane. It was a light brush, and I have already complained to the candidates. I have noticed a large number of them are placed in just a way as to obscure junctions, in particular left hand turns. Anyone else noticed this, and worried about it? Should we be lodging complaints to the Department of the Environment, or just mailing the individual candidates??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Write a complaint to the local council. Take a picture(s) and stress the road safety risk for each.
    its a blight and rather than get better because of social media etc its getting worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

somewhere else on boards it was mentioned they must be at least 2.3m off the ground...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

idiottje wrote: »
    Hi,
    just wondering if anyone else has a problem with these? I am a tall rider, and yesterday evening I hit a number of posters that were mounted very low, and into the cycle lane. It was a light brush, and I have already complained to the candidates. I have noticed a large number of them are placed in just a way as to obscure junctions, in particular left hand turns. Anyone else noticed this, and worried about it? Should we be lodging complaints to the Department of the Environment, or just mailing the individual candidates??

From memory(not 100%) the minimum height for a sign as per rsa guidelines on footway is 2m(6'6")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Oh Gosch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Activate the spin cycle on one of these and you'll be fine

1-Sawblade-Helmets-Warhawk-Mohawk-Saw--300x244.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I find them annoying too. Can't remember where, but yesterday I noticed I couldn't see a traffic light until I was <2m from it. I didn't think to make note of the candidate.

I find they're in the way when driving too. With ones nearby, you have to inch forward past a stop line in order to see.

Some of the scumbags candidates also "forget" to take the cable ties with them when they eventually take down the posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

funkyjebus wrote: »

Just looking at that pic... Apart from the poster, why is there a big pole in front of the traffic lights there? Looks to be fairly close too. Not a great layout in any event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I think there is a poster obscuring the traffic light on left side of the road as you cross O’Donovan Rossa Bridge (near the Four Courts) too. Some of the people putting up posters are clearly idiots, going to all the trouble of putting up posters only to ensure that the person on the poster gets no vote due to being associated with something annoying, stupid, and illegal.

…on the plus side, if I could figure out who the worst of the poster putter-uppers are, I could enthusiastically recommend their (rubbish) services to candidates that I dislike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

I've emailed traffic@dublincity.ie previously about election posters obscuring traffic lights; the offending posters had been removed by the following morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

But they're candidates for the council, so the people you're writing/emailing to complain to are the people who have made the issue in the first place.

There is one on Baggot Street near the bridge fir a Labour Candidate. Its above a No Right Turn sign I thought it was well placed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Some of the scumbags candidates also "forget" to take the cable ties with them when they eventually take down the posters.

What automatically makes these people "scumbags", exactly? Running for public office?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

JayRoc wrote: »
    What automatically makes these people "scumbags", exactly? Running for public office?

Just going by his post alone:

Littering. Leaving cable ties up after posters have been taking down.
    Shedite27 wrote: »
    But they're candidates for the council, so the people you're writing/emailing to complain to are the people who have made the issue in the first place.

Litter complaints should be made to unelected officials. They often fine candidates even those who are outgoing councilors.

Poorly and perhaps too strongly phrased on my part. As monument pointed out, I meant the litterers. I wasn't referring to all politicians.

I do wish there was an alternative to election posters, however.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I do wish there was an alternative to election posters, however.

There could at least be limits and strict rules about placing them near any junction or crossing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

They only become scum bags when they actually get into office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The powers that be in Glenties has banned them. Not sure how official it is or if it is just a plea to politicians.
    http://www.donegaldaily.com/2014/04/23/candidates-urge-donegal-to-say-no-to-poster-boys/

Personally, I can't stand the things. Unsightly, distracting and the amount of cables ties left on poles and the ground afterwards is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

I find them annoying too. Can't remember where, but yesterday I noticed I couldn't see a traffic light until I was <2m from it. I didn't think to make note of the candidate.

I find they're in the way when driving too. With ones nearby, you have to inch forward past a stop line in order to see.

Gotta love how well that highlights the futility of these abominations of posters too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

There is one on Baggot Street near the bridge fir a Labour Candidate. Its above a No Right Turn sign I thought it was well placed...

All lefties turn right eventually.

• Advertisement

I'm a blowin so these posters are just bizarre to me billboard posters for the parties yes but (badly) photshopped mugshots of candidates is a total waste of time surely. What is the point of them? Perhaps years ago a good way to help people 'know' their candidates but nowadays with TV internet sms and flyers through the door why still allow them to the extent they are there now?
    Saying that any plan to properly stop would probably create an 'uproar' from the printing industry...

(I must remember that I am not posting in After Hours...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It just annoys me that the cable ties are too big. I can get some use out of them but it'd be just handier if they were a useful size...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Own up.
    Who wrote on the billboard on Long Mile Road?

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/04/25/this-just-chin/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Yep, I reckon they'll stink up the place come Giro time...

http://www.thejournal.ie/election-posters-giro-1431484-Apr2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

There is a very low election poster on Ellis Quay outside the Blackhall Pharmacy. I saw a cyclist this morning and a bus was passing him at this section of the road and the poster was sticking out and very low, it nearly caused an accident, as he had to swerve to avoid the poster, luckily the bus had given him a wide berth. I have emailed Dublin City Council but just a heads up to any commuters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

happytramp wrote: »
    Yep, I reckon they'll stink up the place come Giro time...

http://www.thejournal.ie/election-posters-giro-1431484-Apr2014/

I see they've been banned from the northern route, with fines of £2,500.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ni-parties-face-2-500-fine-for-election-posters-along-giro-route-1.1775346

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

somewhere else on boards it was mentioned they must be at least 2.3m off the ground...

Is this a rule or a voluntary code? Anybody have any links to this please?

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Is this a rule or a voluntary code? Anybody have any links to this please?
    From Dublin City Council website:
    The following guidelines may be helpful in ensuring that posters are not a hazard to the public:

Posters should be erected at a minimum height of 2.3 metres above footpaths, cycle tracks or any area to which pedestrians have access

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Guidelines and should being the key words there.

They should be law with fines for posters that are hung below 2.3 metres which all are at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

And another thing...who are these political people with their heightened sense of self importance that they think my "No junk mail" sign on my letterbox doesn't apply to them?

Is my name on what you have? Did I ask for it to be delivered to me? No I did not so please stop filling up my green bin or I'll be forced to charge you rent.

Advertisement