Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bottom bracket removal

Options
  • 08-03-2014 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Ive been trying to remove an english thread campagnolo veloce bb. Ive been using the parktools bbt4 wrench and trying to turn the drive side clockwise to remove. So far no success. Does anyone have any ideas? Ive already trying to encourage it by using a hammer with the wrench.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I was told years ago to try tighten it a bit first just a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭keizer

Carpenter wrote: »
    I was told years ago to try tighten it a bit first just a bit

I'll try tomorrow, spent ages at it today, didnt try to tighten it though. How did that campag cassette work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Can I tag my BB thread direction question onto this thread?

My old Dawes has a Shimano BB so it must be British thread. (right?)
    The left side won't budge and the drive side moved slightly anti clockwise.

Please confirm I've got this right - before I attach the scaffolding pole!
    To loosen turn tool to the rear of bike.

So ..
    Drive side: anti clockwise to loosen. ("normal" thread)
    Left hand side: clockwise to loosen ("left-hand " thread)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Can I tag my BB thread direction question onto this thread?

My old Dawes has a Shimano BB so it must be British thread. (right?)
    The left side won't budge and the drive side moved slightly anti clockwise.

Please confirm I've got this right - before I attach the scaffolding pole!
    To loosen turn tool to the rear of bike.

So ..
    Drive side: anti clockwise to loosen. ("normal" thread)
    Left hand side: clockwise to loosen ("left-hand " thread)
    U

Thanks

No.
    Drive side to loosen: clockwise.
    Left side to loosen: anticlockwise(normal)

This is for BSA (British)

Thanks. I'll give it another go this evening. Hopefully the penetrating fluid will have soaked through.

I had a brainwave and removed the bolt for the cable guide to spray the fluid inside the bracket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

+1 Eamonnator

To loosen you turn the BB cup toward the front of the bike on both sides.

So -

Drive side; turn clockwie to loosen. ("righty loosey") This side has a left handed thread.
    Non Drive side; turn anti clockwise to loosen ("lefty loosey) This side has a right handed (normal) thread.

Another way to think about it is, the BB threads are set up in this way to avoid the forward pedalling action from overtightening the BB and causing it to seize into the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Thanks. I'll give it another go this evening. Hopefully the penetrating fluid will have soaked through.

I had a brainwave and removed the bolt for the cable guide to spray the fluid inside the bracket.

Good call

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Some strange advice on this thread I think. If you do have British threading then you had it right yourself.

Righty tighty
    Lefty loosey

Check Sheldon Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

Hesker

the problem is the threads are different on each side, one thread is a normal right handed thread and other is a left handed thread.

The left handed thread is on the drive side hence "righty loosey" on that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

joxerjohn wrote:
    Another way to think about it is, the BB threads are set up in this way to avoid the forward pedalling action from overtightening the BB and causing it to seize into the frame.

It’s the other way around actually, a left-hand threaded bottom bracket cup will be tightened by the rotation of the cranks. Hence the reputation of Italian/right-hand threaded bottom bracket drive-side cups for coming loose in use.

It’s a bit counter-intuitive, but the reason is the rotation of the bearings. If you rotate the cranks clockwise, the bearings around the axle/spindle rotate anti-clockwise, and as the bearings are in contact with the b/b cups they’ll rotate the cups anti-clockwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

joxerjohn

See here for a clear explanation of difference between French/Italian and British threading.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

Someone should sticky Sheldon Brown if it's not been done already.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 whysomanyhills

I had the same problem a while ago. I just used boiling water (had let it cool down slightly) where the BB meets the frame. It budged after that (I waited until the frame cooled down before removing it completely)

It was just a hack measure I used as my head was wrecked at that stage but I had no issues refitting a new BB afterwards.

Success. Well, almost complete, more soaking at the moment
    As advised by Eamon - Drive side C'wise to loosen. Left side normal thread; CCW to loosen.

I had to heat the left side to budge it. I chewed the the splines on the RHS. They're plastic FFS!. But once the BB was out of the way a hammer and chisel sorted it. Thread inspection still required but should be okay - I think.

Thanks again

Advertisement