Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Floor pump gauge not working?

• 24-04-2014 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭

I bought one of these pumps and after hooking it up last night I can't seem to get the gauge to work. Is there some trick to it? I pumped up the tire and it still says the pressure is at 0. The needle moves a bit when inflating but that's about it. I don't want to over inflate the tire (presumably they'll burst if I do?) but as such I find my tires aren't as inflated as they probably should be.

Could it be I just got a faulty one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

With presta valves, you build up pressure in the pump hose before the valve allows some to pass into the tyre. However, you're saying that the tyre inflated and in any case, the gauge should register the pressure in the pump hose. I can get my pump gauge to read 60psi by holding my finger over the end. I'd say it's faulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

when you put the pump valve onto the tube is there a locking mechanism for the pump head valve. If there is then you need to put the pump head on and then lock the valve.
    Make sure the valve in the tube isnt stuck as well.
    open the valve fully then press it back in to free it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah there's a locking mechanism on it, like a lever you pull up.

I tried it again there and it pumps the tyre alright but I think the gauge is defo faulty. I basically pumped the tyre as far as it would go, like it's really tight... I physically can't pump anymore air into it, but the gauge is only showing 60psi.

Now I'm not sure if the tyre is over pumped or not. The whole point I bought one with a gauge is because I'm a noob and I have no idea how much to pump the tyre.

Make sure the valve on the tube is 'free' before you pump air into it. Push the valve back in till you hear a hiss then pump it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

That looks remarkably like a pump I got from Amazon last year, albeit with a different brand name on it. I returned the first one because I could put my full weight on the pump connected to the tube and it wouldn't pump above about 80psi. The replacement was the same. Ended up buying a separate digital gauge.

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    That looks remarkably like a pump I got from Amazon last year, albeit with a different brand name on it. I returned the first one because I could put my full weight on the pump connected to the tube and it wouldn't pump above about 80psi. The replacement was the same. Ended up buying a separate digital gauge.

So was the pump at fault, or the gauge? Do you still use the pump with the digital gauge? Where can I get one of them?

bcmf wrote: »
    Make sure the valve on the tube is 'free' before you pump air into it. Push the valve back in till you hear a hiss then pump it again

Hmm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean the valve on the end of the pump tube, or the valve on the bike wheel?

The. Valve itself in the tube can get jammed.

Ah... Okay, so basically release the lever, push it back down until I hear a hiss then close the lever?

Advertisement