Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've created a complex Drupal site.. Now I'm thinking long term?

Options
  • 29-07-2014 4:41pm

Hey, so I've created what in my mind has resulted is a very complex Drupal site using an awful lot of contributed modules as a personal project.. But now that that's done, I've started thinking about web development as a serious possibility in a few years.

I've started learning php.. First the codecademy course and now video tutorials and a book. I really enjoy it want to be sure I'm going down the right path.

Back end sounds like what I'd be into. I like the logic of making lots of pieces come together. With the site I made, hundreds of small modules made that happen but I want to be able to do that myself. I know photoshop and some css but really have no interest in making a site look pretty.

I love Drupal but I'm not committed to it. What way do you see web development going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

I think at times that attempting to chase the direction something in the tech industry is going (especially web stuff) is like rolling a dice.

You will get all the pros and cons, all the dos and donts and will probably be none the wiser after.

If you really enjoy one thing, then I would suggest stick with it and keep learning and trying to improve. If you find yourself in a few years time with one language base it should be much easier for you to move to another one.

My advice for you right now is , next time you want to do something in Drupal , have a go at writing your own plugin (Ive never used Drupal but im assuming its standard enough to be able to write your own)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭jmcc

What way do you see web development going?
    Commoditised at the low end with programs like Wordpress/Joomla/Drupal largely replacing hand coding and perhaps even tweaking. Some offline development software being used at the mid range of the market. (The Dreamweaver/Photoshop etc section of the market.) The high end of the market will still be database driven and custom development. Not much different from how it is now.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I recently worked through this tutorial on Drupal Module development.
    https://www.drupal.org/node/1074360
    I would recommend it. It will allow you to use whatever PHP skills you have built up.

I think PHP is good bet right now. My advice would be to stay as flexible as possible. Have a look at WordPress, it's similar to drupal as it is a Database Driven, PHP, Open Source CMS. If you are starting out on the coding side of things I think WordPress is a bit more intuitive and straight forward and the online documentation is excellent.

Learning stuff like, HTML, CSS and JavaScript is safe bet also as they are web standards that will remain fairly constant regardless of the backend system being used. Look at frameworks like Angular.js, Backbone, JQuery, Bootsrap and Foundation

On the backend, the stuff that is coming down the line is node.js with noSQL DBs like Hadoop. Ruby is also quite popular right now but more in the custom development space and not the CMS space.

Good luck and happy coding!

Advertisement