Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miss this opportunity?

Options
  • 20-08-2015 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

So recently I've kinda had a job fall into my lap... (I say that but i got lucky and was looking)
    Anyway, The position is in Canada, Vancouver

actually could have 2 opportunities, one live in the hotel and one not

I've always wanted to live in Canada,
    Problem is im not working atm, And dont have near enough saved for what you need in your bank account for the visa
    Also dont have much experience and have been even trying to do free work to gain it but have had no luck

I just need a little help figuring this out, Im determined to go
    but i dont know how to go about it!
    what would be my best options?
    Stay here and try find full time here then save enough to fly out and job hunt?

This has happened before for a live in position in a hotel in virginia, But I had to pass up on it, and really don't want to miss this opportunity!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

No brainer for me - take the job and find a way around the bank balance later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Breadmonkey couldn't have put in simpler. Just go for it or you'll be saying what if the rest of your life. You need feck all money for the visa, book the flight and go....especially if there's a job waiting for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Adam!038

radiata wrote: »
    Breadmonkey couldn't have put in simpler. Just go for it or you'll be saying what if the rest of your life. You need feck all money for the visa, book the flight and go....especially if there's a job waiting for you!

OH Dont get me wrong, I've told them Ill definitely take the job
    all i need is to sort out the visa, and they seem pretty relaxed, and okay about it

I just need to find a way to get there for the winter months!
    Maybe i should go to the embassy and explain my situation

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Adam!038 wrote: »
    Maybe i should go to the embassy and explain my situation

What could the embassy do for you?! :confused:

Apply for the visa, book your flights. You need approximately E1700 in your bank account when you arrive. Start trying to pick up casual work, sell your things that you won't need (especially if you have a car or desktop computer), hoard your dole money and save whatever you can.

Don't worry abut experience. They've already offered you the job; they don't care. You'll get experience when you start. Work doing whatever will get you money quickly - cleaning, labouring, retail, bar work, whatever you can to gather a few quid before you leave. Worst case scenario, borrow the money for the duration of your flight + immigration and then return it when you have your visa stapled into your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Adam!038

Faith wrote: »

Apply for the visa, book your flights. You need approximately E1700 in your bank account when you arrive. Start trying to pick up casual work, sell your things that you won't need (especially if you have a car or desktop computer), hoard your dole money and save whatever you can.

Work doing whatever will get you money quickly - cleaning, labouring, retail, bar work, whatever you can to gather a few quid before you leave.

Worst case scenario, borrow the money for the duration of your flight + immigration and then return it when you have your visa stapled into your passport.

Thanks Faith, you have me really excited for this!
    I've already sold stuff and saved a couple hundred so far, but im sure theres more i dont need

I've been desperately trying to find any type of work i can but just cant see to get it!

As for borrowing I might need to do that if it gets closer to the time and im still not working, but im very hesitant to!

Thanks for all the help! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement