Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Addison's Disease

• 17-04-2014 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi ,
    I'm looking to get Medication for addison's disease put on the long term illness scheme. Would you have any idea where i would start. who to talk to, where to apply etc.
    My two children have addison's.
    thanks in advance for your help.
    Shayb1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

hi Shayb1

My wife has addisons for a number of yrs now and has being on to our local TD etc, theres no plan for it to be put on long term illness scheme. I know this doesnt answer your question but just wanted to give you a heads up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

I also have AD the cost of the drugs here are a disgrace we are in the EU and I pay €67 just for Hydro for one month thats along with Fludro and other stuff it comes to €135 per month, the price in Spain is €3 per month I can buy 12 months supply of both there for €87 total. Were all in the EU so whats the price difference for.

Would a doctor cert work in the eu from Ireland. My wife's meds come to €144 pm a flight to Spain wud be covered if the meds only cost that over there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Would a doctor cert work in the eu from Ireland. My wife's meds come to €144 pm a flight to Spain wud be covered if the meds only cost that over there

I'm not sure that they need certs in spain? But also not sure on the legalities of bringing back a load of drugs from another country, if you'd get through customs and stuff...if anyone knows please post as this might be a great option for my Dad. Last year they raised the price of the hydro by over 50% in a day, getting really expensive to be sick and alive in this country.

Actually does anyone know what the prices are like in northern Ireland on these meds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Viper_JB wrote: »
    I'm not sure that they need certs in spain? But also not sure on the legalities of bringing back a load of drugs from another country, if you'd get through customs and stuff...if anyone knows please post as this might be a great option for my Dad. Last year they raised the price of the hydro by over 50% in a day, getting really expensive to be sick and alive in this country.

Actually does anyone know what the prices are like in northern Ireland on these meds?

Perhaps a letter to His Highness Mr Varadker with that info might be useful. He's a straight talker so he just might have a word with those rip-off pharma companies. That sort of profiteering makes my blood boil:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

shayb1 wrote: »
    I'm looking to get Medication for addison's disease put on the long term illness scheme...

The Long Term Illness Scheme covers a specific list of about 15 or 16 illnesses.
    The list hasn't changed at all in the 26 years I've been working in Pharmacies. I'm fairly sure it didn't change in the 15 or so before that either..

Addison's Disease is not on the list, and basically won't be on it in the predictable future.

Essentially, then, while AD is a long-term illness, it isn't a Long Term Illness, if you follow me.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭zoeybelle

Hi, Might be a bit off topic but the Hilltop Pharmacy in Raheny says they pricematch prescription prices with the north. They do for the various ones im on as I used to travel north but if u ring them they'll give you a price over the phone

Hi, Might be a bit off topic but the Hilltop Pharmacy in Raheny says they pricematch prescription prices with the north. They do for the various ones im on as I used to travel north but if u ring them they'll give you a price over the phone

For hydrocortisone and fludro you dont need a prescription Im bringing a years supply + home every year, just split it up with my wifes bag some in my carry on bag etc. All you will need is the original box and the dose you might have to wait a few days to get them in but there hasnt been a problem my bags were xrayed all they look for is Cigarettes. Ive questioned my doctor about the generic tabs he confirmed again they are fine..

• Advertisement

I think your only allowed 3 months supply or maybe 6 as your prescription I always bring a 6 month pres with me, as for the North they were actually dearer last time I checked, my daughters in Newry so Ill get her to check next week..

hi Shayb1

My wife has addisons for a number of yrs now and has being on to our local TD etc, theres no plan for it to be put on long term illness scheme. I know this doesnt answer your question but just wanted to give you a heads up

If someone could do up a decent letter and we send it to the minister of health via volume they would have to look into it, the stats say there are approx 140/1 million so its not going to be an explosion..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

macadam wrote: »
    If someone could do up a decent letter and we send it to the minister of health via volume they would have to look into it, the stats say there are approx 140/1 million so its not going to be an explosion..

You could write 10 million letters, it will have no effect. Addison's Disease will not be added to the list of Long Term Illnesses any time soon.

For hydrocortisone and fludro you dont need a prescription Im bringing a years supply + home every year, just split it up with my wifes bag some in my carry on bag etc. All you will need is the original box and the dose you might have to wait a few days to get them in but there hasnt been a problem my bags were xrayed all they look for is Cigarettes. Ive questioned my doctor about the generic tabs he confirmed again they are fine..

@macadam Is it Spain you get your meds in. Were heading to France in June I wonder can we get the hydro and fludro there.

@macadam Is it Spain you get your meds in. Were heading to France in June I wonder can we get the hydro and fludro there.[/QUOTE

The Canaries, €87 for over a years supply.., if you want more details PM me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

The issue here is not about getting Addison's Disease on the list of Long Term Illnesses. The issue is the exorbitant charges that apply to prescription drugs in this country.

abff wrote: »
    The issue here is not about getting Addison's Disease on the list of Long Term Illnesses. The issue is the exorbitant charges that apply to prescription drugs in this country.

What is the reason for the costs here, i thought this is what the EU was supposedly all about getting everything on parity. Even in the town I live there are two Chemists one is always 20% dearer for my tabs than the other, found thus out and only was caught once.
    Can we get someone to write a letter for this as well, answers are needed, I must bring back a receipt this year.

I called into a chemist in Newry today, the Same box of Hydro cost £65 stg for a box of 56, the Fludro cost £3.95stg for 28, they are actually dearer than in the south both are generic, I know where I'll be buying mine..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shayb1

@macadam Is it Spain you get your meds in. Were heading to France in June I wonder can we get the hydro and fludro there.[/QUOTE

The Canaries, €87 for over a years supply.., if you want more details PM me..

Can you send me info on getting the tablets from the canaries. Your pm box is full.....
    Thanks
    shayb1

shayb1 wrote: »

Can you send me info on getting the tablets from the canaries. Your pm box is full.....
    Thanks
    shayb1

Fire away there Shayb1, I deleted some but it wasnt full, ask all you want to know, if you want to chevk them with your GP I have plenty here..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, I agree about prices of drugs, it's a joke. Ive heard of lots of people stocking up on their meds in Spain, on a different theme :My son has AD, he's 16, he's sick all of the time and his attendance at school is really poor. Has anyone of you had this experience of AD? He's seen three consultants but no improvement.

Advertisement