Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow Netbook - What to do?

• 18-01-2014 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Have an Acer Aspire 751 (Atom processor).
    When I initially got it t'was a nice moderately fast internet browser. Now it is worst than slow.

Am now deleting unused accounts, trying to defragment the hard drive (extremely slow). Takes about 10 mins on start-up before the hard drive settles down and I can get some browsing done. Am using Chrome with 7 cards open, windows XP.

What do I need to dump or do to this 11.6" netbook apart from the obvious?

It was suggested to upgrade the memory but it has only one slot and has 1 GB. Difficult to see what type of memory it is. I think the Hard drive is the issue, HDD light seems to be working overtime. Would need at least 128GB SSD but my overall question, is it worth it versus the cost of upgrading to a new laptop? What 128GB drive would anyone recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Fiskar wrote: »
    Have an Acer Aspire 751 (Atom processor).
    When I initially got it t'was a nice moderately fast internet browser. Now it is worst than slow.

Am now deleting unused accounts, trying to defragment the hard drive (extremely slow). Takes about 10 mins on start-up before the hard drive settles down and I can get some browsing done. Am using Chrome with 7 cards open, windows XP.

What do I need to dump or do to this 11.6" netbook apart from the obvious?

It was suggested to upgrade the memory but it has only one slot and has 1 GB. Difficult to see what type of memory it is. I think the Hard drive is the issue, HDD light seems to be working overtime. Would need at least 128GB SSD but my overall question, is it worth it versus the cost of upgrading to a new laptop? What 128GB drive would anyone recommend?

Put all your important documents and format the hard drive?
    Or if that's not an option download a program like cc cleaner, also do a hard drive test on start up to see if it is the hard drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Ok say I save all my docs to a portable HDD, Re-format the HDD, how do I get windows XP back onto it and all associated drivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Fiskar wrote: »
    Ok say I save all my docs to a portable HDD, Re-format the HDD, how do I get windows XP back onto it and all associated drivers?

It will be partitioned on the hard drive, you can reinstall windows from the bios, restart your computer and enter the set up menu, if you don't know what you're doing there might be an idea to get someone to help

Advertisement