Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

S video to HDMI Cable

• 15-01-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have a Compaq Presario v6500 (manual attached for reference and specs http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295079.pdf .

I'm looking to play my movies onto my tv. TV has HDMI cable but my laptop doesnt.

I think it has an Svideo port. There is a 15 pin port (rectangle) and also a 7 pin (circle)

I have a hdmi cable but obviously cant connect.

How can i link to my tv and what cable should I get. I have tried searching both boards and google but I'm not getting the answer. Is it even possible??

Thanks for any help given........

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭Russellynx

does your tv have a vga port? what kind of tv is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Russellynx wrote: »
    does your tv have a vga port? what kind of tv is it?

Its a samsung LE40m86bdx/xeu

Just checked, it as an hdmi in port, dvi in port, and PC in port. Both tv an laptop are about 7 yrs old

thanks

so a vga to vga male to male will do for picture but won't carry sound. an 3.5mm jack to jack will carry sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭cml387

so a vga to vga male to male will do for picture but won't carry sound. an 3.5mm jack to jack will carry sound.
    The problem is i don't see how the sound will go into the tv.
    You will have sound from the laptop though

• Advertisement

yes.

rear-connection.jpg

i presume the back of your tv looks like that.

yes.

rear-connection.jpg

i presume the back of your tv looks like that.

yes its exactly like that.

Thank you, ive been trying to find out how to do it for the last two hours. Should have come on here first!

Ok I picked up these cables today.

However, now my TV says "mode not supported"

I googled and seems to be somthing to do with the resolution on the laptop.

I have changed that in the Display settings to the lowest one possible but it still won't work. Any thoughts??

that's a pity.

try resolution 1024x768 and refresh rate 60hz?

that's a pity.

try resolution 1024x768 and refresh rate 60hz?

No that didnt work but ive tried connecting my laptop to my second tv which is a 32in and it has worked so im happy I have that option

hoping to get a new smart tv soon

• Advertisement
Advertisement