Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rte picture soft on saorview

Options
  • 16-03-2013 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Has anyone noticed recently that the quality of picture on RTE 1 appears to be very soft on saorview. I am comparing it to a non HD version from BBC. Tonight in particular I am looking at Brendan O'Connor and the picture could be so so much sharper. It's not the tv or reception. Another example was when waiting for the Pope to be announced during the week, whilst the picture of Brian Dobson were excellent once they showed the pooled pictures they were just inferior compared to same pictures on non HD BBC1 which were so sharp. I get my picture from Mount Leinster and cross channel pics via freesat echostar box. Would love to hear from other viewers on this subject. I am using Samsung current smart tv

Comments

It's because RTÉNL are transmitting their SD channels in 544x576 rather than 720x576 (or 704x576). I'm not sure if it's something they'll ever sort, maybe when mux 2 starts, but we'll probably have to wait for them all to go HD. I set up Saorview for my parents yesterday and my dad commented on how ropey the News Now picture is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Until MUX two is fired up it seems we are stuck with near VHS level PQ it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

I think it is about time people started complaining to RTE NL, email, post, phone!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

I mentioned this in a post about the apparent superior picture quality of RTÉ 1 and TG4 on the NI mini multiplex which Souriau lends details to my suspicions.

544x576 is fine for 4:3 material, but is very poor for 16:9 where the pixel ratio is stretched to 1.882:1 as opposed to 1.422:1 for 720x576 widescreen material.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

mike65 wrote: »
    stuck with near VHS level PQ it seems.

Sometimes RTE is happy to broadcast video with worse than VHS quality!
    Anyone else see the horrific picture quality of footage from the St Patrick's Day parade in Letterkenny during footage of various parades around the country on RTE1 news last night, I would have thought that sort of poor quality would have been considered unfit for broadcast!
    This is not a once-off, I have seen on many occasions video on the news with reports notably from Eileen Magnier in the north-west and Seán Mac-an-tSíthigh in Kerry in the past suffering from very severe motion-blur with movement or camera panning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It does look like 240 standard youtube quite often on RTE News!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ei9go

Look at the terrible quality on tv3.

When Vincent Brown is on and they show the whole panel , there is no resolution what so ever.

It looks just like VHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kittytwister

To continue this thread did anyone see the Pope's Mass this morning...I looked at it on BBC 1 HD and it was brilliant. At the end I turned to RTE and the quality of the pooled pictures of the square, flags etc. were to say the least a disgrace...blurred and and just plain bad quality. Now I pay my €160 each year and thought with the advent of Saorview we would receive as we were told a far better picture. What is wrong here, its not my eyes as my wife agrees with me? Just as a matter of interest is the picture of RTE from SKY as bad as this? I have not got Sky.

I think the Sky picture is now 544x576 too. Seems that the best RTE One and TG4 picture is from the NI mini mux. It's 720x576. So viewers in NI get a better picture than we do, except on RTE Two.

Advertisement