Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taxi Soiling Charge?

Options
  • 08-04-2012 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    I really need some advice.
    I recently got told by a taxi driver that I had to pay him a 140euro soiling charge. This is the first time I ever heard of such a fine and was curious to whether any of you could advise me on my situation.

I went out for drinks late on good Friday with my friend, as the pub only start serving drinks after 12 we decided on the spur of the moment to head out for one or two. I had 3 drinks and didn't feel very well so we decided to leave. This was at half 1. We got a taxi outside the pub.

On the way home I felt very sick, and asked the Taxi driver to pull over he did and I opened the door out onto the street and began to get sick, before I got a chance to get out of the taxi and immediately the driver start shouting at myself and my friend that we owed him 140euro, and continued to say so after, until he dropped us off 2 minutes later. He was very aggressive and I think he thought we were more drunk than we were because I got sick but we only had 3 drinks. I also got the feeling that this was something he has done more the once and that he was trying to take advantage of myself and my friend.

We saw no sick in the car and continued to point that out to him, as he continued to shout at myself and my friend demanding the money. He threatened to ring the guards but never did, as I feeling unwell and embarrassed at having got sick in public and just wanting to get into my house gave him my details... my phone number, address, name and told him I'd talk to him tomorrow. I feel very foolish now at having done so as he rang me the next day being just as aggressive demanding I pay him the money and telling me his car was off the road all night and he had to get it cleaned. I told him both myself and my friend saw no sick inside the car but in the case that we where mistaken I would gladly pay him for the cleaning bill if he gave me the receipt. He refused and threatened me with the guards again, I told him to call the guards and I would tell them what I told him that I don't have 140euro to give him and he asked me when I got paid, and then arranged a day for me to pay him. Which is next week.

I really dont know what to do? I feel like he is trying to take advantage of me and I'm very nervous about seeing him again but also afraid of not paying the fine because how can I prove that I didn't get sick 'in' his Taxi?
    Has anyone else experienced this, or got any advice as to what I should do? I'm very upset about the whole thing.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Outfield21 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I really need some advice.
    I recently got told by a taxi driver that I had to pay him a 140euro soiling charge. This is the first time I ever heard of such a fine and was curious to whether any of you could advise me on my situation.

I went out for drinks late on good Friday with my friend, as the pub only start serving drinks after 12 we decided on the spur of the moment to head out for one or two. I had 3 drinks and didn't feel very well so we decided to leave. This was at half 1. We got a taxi outside the pub.

On the way home I felt very sick, and asked the Taxi driver to pull over he did and I opened the door out onto the street and began to get sick, before I got a chance to get out of the taxi and immediately the driver start shouting at myself and my friend that we owed him 140euro, and continued to say so after, until he dropped us off 2 minutes later. He was very aggressive and I think he thought we were more drunk than we were because I got sick but we only had 3 drinks. I also got the feeling that this was something he has done more the once and that he was trying to take advantage of myself and my friend.

We saw no sick in the car and continued to point that out to him, as he continued to shout at myself and my friend demanding the money. He threatened to ring the guards but never did, as I feeling unwell and embarrassed at having got sick in public and just wanting to get into my house gave him my details... my phone number, address, name and told him I'd talk to him tomorrow. I feel very foolish now at having done so as he rang me the next day being just as aggressive demanding I pay him the money and telling me his car was off the road all night and he had to get it cleaned. I told him both myself and my friend saw no sick inside the car but in the case that we where mistaken I would gladly pay him for the cleaning bill if he gave me the receipt. He refused and threatened me with the guards again, I told him to call the guards and I would tell them what I told him that I don't have 140euro to give him and he asked me when I got paid, and then arranged a day for me to pay him. Which is next week.

I really dont know what to do? I feel like he is trying to take advantage of me and I'm very nervous about seeing him again but also afraid of not paying the fine because how can I prove that I didn't get sick 'in' his Taxi?
    Has anyone else experienced this, or got any advice as to what I should do? I'm very upset about the whole thing.
    Thanks.
    Let him call the Guards, Did you get a receipt for the fare? was the soiling charge listed on the receipt?

You did not get sick inside the car or on the car and did not therefore soil the car so there can be no soiling charge, him not being able to produce evidence of having the car cleaned backs up your version of events!

I would not pay him anything and would ignore any further calls from him and if he calls to your house ring the Guards and report him for his aggressive attitude, it may be demanding money with menaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭An Udaras

Its a difficult one really to prosecute as its your word against his.

I cannot see him going to the Guards as they will mention the above to him I reckon.

You could always mention you felt threatened into giving the details under the pressure of his aggressive attitude. This is of course up to you to know..

Its really up to you how you choose to proceed, you could pay him the charge, offer to pay a portion of it or if you feel its totally unjust as you definitely did not soil his vehicle explain to him that you do not intend to pay.

You could always make contact with the citizen advice bureau or the Taxi Regulator for more information first before making a decision its now more a civil matter between you and the driver then a criminal one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

OP, did you get sick on or in the car, yes or no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

OP, did you get sick on or in the car, yes or no?

Oh no here we go again. OP, did you have a valid ticket, as you know you can't board without a valid ticket and it was up to you, it was all your fault, blah blah blah...
    Outfield21 wrote:
    We saw no sick in the car and continued to point that out to him
    Tell the truth now. Despite the train being early the onus is still on you to have a valid ticket even if the next train isn't till tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Well a few things

Yes there is a soiling charge and if a taxi is soiled by whatever means youi are legally obliged to pay it .

As usual Foggy Lad is incorrect(but whats new ) ,the soiling charge is not and never will be shown/listed on the printed receipt ,it's a separate charge .

As others have asked did you get sick in the car ? even a small bit are you completely certain ? the smell alone stinks the car our for God knows how long .

It's hard for anyone here to make a judegement on the situation as none of us were there and its your word against his .

Most drivers if the offending passenger refuses to pay, calls the Gards there and then.

The moral of the story is dont drink too much and if you feel unwell then maybe walk it off before you get a taxi.

Its also worth noteing and for futurre reference though a tad off topic ,,,,
    If you got a taxi outside the pub/club and it wasnt a legal taxi rank ,then he was plying for hire ilegally.You should only get a taxi from a proper taxi rank or flag one down .....any taxi parked outside a pub club chipper is plying for hire ilegally ,,,dont get into it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Just so you know ,,,,,

Customers’ behaviour should be civil and orderly. Customers must not damage or dirty the vehicle, consume food or drink in it, or smoke in it. A soiling charge is payable by passengers who dirty or damage a taxi to the extent that it has to be taken out of service or will have to be cleaned or repaired at a cost. Customers should comply with any reasonable request by the driver to leave or not to enter the vehicle......

As I said it's hard for any of us to make a judgement on the situation as its your word against his ,,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I think there are some questions to be asked about this charge.
    http://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/customers-rights-responsibilities

If the soiling charge is not listed on the taxi receipt, how does (for example) the taxman know it was collected. How does the passenger prove they paid it? Is it subject to VAT? (EDIT: If it is not collected on the spot and the guards not called/taxi not brought with occupant to copshop, what rights does the driver retain to obtain payment?)

How was the charge determined?
    In Austin, Texas USD 100
    http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/02/23/austin-cab-drivers-can-now-charge-a-100-puke-tax/
    In NI it is proposed at GBP 50
    http://www.u.tv/News/Soiling-charge-in-NI-taxi-fare-plan/83d5882f-df22-4e7f-9361-a1a783dd24f3
    In Fife, Scotland GBP 40
    http://www.fifedirect.org.uk/topics/index.cfm?fuseaction=service.display&p2sid=33A4C1B2-36FC-4A59-A496-F2153FDD614A

To be clear - I think that a soiling charge is a necessary deterrent to this kind of langerdan behaviour but it should be proportionate and accounted for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Tell the taxi driver to FU(K OFF and call the guards.

Then find out where he lives, and go round and take a big Shyte in his front garden.....then he'll really have something to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Some time last year a friend of mine (who doesn't drink) was getting a taxi home with his mates. He asked the driver could he bring his McDonalds drink in the cupholder and he said fine. At the house the friends got out of the back while he was paying. While he was getting out of the car he spilled a small bit of the drink onto his own lap and the driver locked the door and demanded €140. Big argument about this as there was no spillage on any surface in the car, but the driver wasn't having it. He took off with my friend locked in the car, driving in circles around the park while he called the police, all the while my friend demanding to be let out. A couple of miles later the Gardaí arrive, he pulls up to them and they completely take the side of the driver, without even looking inside the car, never mind the pseudo-kidnapping/holding him against his will. Throughout this my friend was genuinely terrified because of the aggressive and threatening behaviour of the driver.

I don't intend for this to be a taxi/Gardaí bashing post, but just pointing out that abuse of the soiling charge can happen, and Gardaí can take the word of taxi drivers over passengers, even without drink taken.

• Advertisement

oisindoyle wrote: »
    As I said it's hard for any of us to make a judgement on the situation as its your word against his ,,

The OP said they didn't soil the taxi. We're not here to determine if they're telling the truth or not.

n97 mini wrote: »
    The OP said they didn't soil the taxi. We're not here to determine if they're telling the truth or not.

Not quite, they said that they didn't get sick inside the taxi. That is reading as if to say that they got sick on the taxi, if not in the cab. It would be helpful if OP comes back and clarify's this first.

Personally speaking as an ex taxi driver, it never happened to me though I had a close shave twice. Somebody puking in your car is a royal pain in the arse. First off, it's going to put you off the road for at least 24 hours; longer if it happens at the weekend and you can't get a slot in one of the very few valet's open out of hours. Secondly, it's going to cost around €80-€90 for an internal valet. Lastly, there is the time off the road while your car is attended to and dried out; on a weekend night this will be a few hundred €. Bearing this in mind, €140 is not a lot of compensation for a cabbie inconvenienced in such a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Andremac96

i wouldnt of given any details got out of the car paid the 25e or so fair and worked home after going on a rant at him no dont pay it say you felt threathed by him and he was agressive and try to beat him at his own game

Not quite, they said that they didn't get sick inside the taxi.
    The Act doesn't specify inside or outside, but looking for €140 for getting puke on the outside of the car is not the spirit of the law, and I doubt anyone except this particular taxi driver would disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Not quite, they said that they didn't get sick inside the taxi.
    The Act doesn't specify inside or outside, but looking for €140 for getting puke on the outside of the car is not the spirit of the law, and I doubt anyone except this particular taxi driver would disagree.
    To piss the taxi driver off I would have shat in the taxi before I left. Nice way to leave a deposit for the taxi driver to repay him for being such an ass.

Soiling charge applies to inside the cab only, does it not?

Not so, no; it applies to any damage or soiling done to the cab that takes it off the road to be sorted out. In practice, soiling the outside is easier dealt with so maybe a tenner for a wash would suffice; it is up to the driver and nature of the damage before you'd make a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

For what Losty describes above, €140 sounds reasonable. All the driver has to do is produce a receipt for valeting and I'd hand over the €140.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement