Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benefits of men shving their legs for running

Options
  • 16-06-2010 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Im very curious to know is it any benefit for men to shave their legs if they are a serious runner. Does the wind get caught up in the hair of your legs and slightly affect your speed? Are shaved legs better for running?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Moved from the Gentlemans Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Im very curious to know is it any benefit for men to shave their legs if they are a serious runner. Does the wind get caught up in the hair of your legs and slightly affect your speed? Are shaved legs better for running?

Hairs are there for a reason - help wick away sweat etc, don't think you are going to get any areodynamic benefits to 'shave' seconds off your time.
    Only time I've shaved was when I needed work done on my hamstrings over a few weeks and the massage was easier to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

:confused: I cant see how having hair on your legs will slow you down much.... what about the hair on your arms.... or your head for that matter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I had to do it when I used to speed skate on road and track. Its actually for insurance reasons, road rash gets seriously infected when hairs stick in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Thats exactly right , same as for cyclists. Its not for aerodynamic reasons - its in case of skin damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

well, i always wanted to know that...........but never asked anyone i know who shaves for cycling.
    very interesting indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Im very curious

I bet you are;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭antocann

it makes you more aerodynamic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

The wife's tights- sorry, compression tights glide on more easily.

I'd imagine shaving would make plasters easier to take off- my current method is to slowly expose a small tab at the corner, wince up my face, countdown from five, and rip when I'm at one. You could make a wig out of what comes with the plaster...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭griffin100

Its an easy way to loose weight!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Eamonn Coughlan tried it the night before the 1976 Olympics final with disastrous results.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I bet you are;)

ha yeah right. Nah i won't be doing shaving my legs. Makes more sense for swimmers and cyclists. Plus i like having hair on my legs as a sign of manhood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I know a guy who competed in the steeplechase at a very high competitive level during the 90s who shaved both his legs and chest !

He insisted it was beneficial to his sport but I think he was just liked the look.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭d-sher

Ever try a Friction Massage from a Physio while having hairy legs? OUCH!!! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If you're going to physio or for a massage - shave. Massage will be much more benificial and less painful for you if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Massage is the only reason for most cyclists too.

Definitely doesn't make you more aero, and if the road rash is such a problem why not shave the arms as well?

Fair enough if you're a pro getting a massage every day...but for mere mortals...people just do it to fit in I reckon. So most top cyclists shave their legs-therefore to be good I must shave mine too?? Doesn't work like that unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

It only grows back a few times before it wont grow back anymore right?

I remember a doctor explaining to me how the hair on your head, face and genitalia is the only hair that consistently grows back? Or am i dreaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

InTheTrees wrote: »
    It only grows back a few times before it wont grow back anymore right?

I remember a doctor explaining to me how the hair on your head, face and genitalia is the only hair that consistently grows back? Or am i dreaming?

Dreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

oooh. imagine only having to have waxing once or twice and then never again. How brill would that be:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gordonjj

griffin100 wrote: »
    Its an easy way to loose weight!!

I'm trying to overcome obesity problem but I'd rather not shave even if its recommended for weight loss. But I'm wondering how it helps in losing weight, must be burning calories while shouting oooouch, ooo!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

The mind boggles on this one.....Thought never crossed my mind!

..Next thing people will be suggesting that I shave my face!! :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

If a physio ever suggests putting a strap on your knee, shave it first.

The most painful thing I have experienced in a long time was pulling a strap
    off a (slightly) hairy leg.

Advertisement