Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has the iPhone 4 surpassed the Desire? (And all Android Phones?)

• 10-06-2010 2:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious, from a non fanboy perspective, has the iPhone 4 surpassed the HTC Desire, or in fact, all current Android/HTC models?

Besides having to put up with iTunes and all the restrictiveness apple is known for, hardware wise has it come out trumps here?

I know for me, the HTC Desire was definitely the top choice for what I need a phone to do and more, but is the new iPhone now just as good and even better?

Not looking for a fanboy debate, just the facts :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The iPhone 4G is only slightly better than the Desire hardware wise but imo it still lacks a lot software wise.

The only things it has over the Desire...

A much higher res screen (Although it is only IPS TFT rather than AMOLED)
    Front camera
    A slightly more powerful cpu (About 10%) although with an overclocked kernel the Desire can compete at almost equal performance

The Desire however
    Has 576MB of Ram compared to the 256MB of Ram found on the iPhone 4 (But who needs ram when you don't have multitasking ;))
    Larger screen
    Not entirely made of glass
    Far more hardware buttons
    Doesn't use a propertiary interface
    Not an iPhone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I suspect the iPhone's A4 might be underclocked to about 800 MHz for battery considerations. The reason it's so snappy is just software optimization. So I would guess it's close to the power of a Snapdragon, but with a significantly more powerful GPU, since the 3GS was already more powerful than the Adreno in the Snapdragon setup.

I'm glad the iPhone is so well specced because hopefully it will drag Android up from the WVGA/1 GHz level it has paused at right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

No, it hasn't. It's a good phone, with a couple of nice features, but it's full of the usual Apple gimmicks and buzzwords designed to obscure the fact that the tech is not particularly advanced.

VGA front camera, 256MB RAM, possibly underclocked CPU (we won't know until people test it) a screen that's only 5% sharper than AMOLED but draws 30% more power and 'up to' 30fps 720p video recording (which could mean anything, really).

Plus it's still got the iPhone OS. And if you didn't like the dull, unimaginative rows of app icons before, you're not about to change your mind for this model.

And don't forget that by the end of the year there will be Android phones with dual core 1.5GHz processors which draw 20% less power than the Snapdragon, running on the Gingerbread build of Android.

Steve Jobs can iSuck my balls.

edit: the one thing that annoys me about all this is that now HTC and every other manufacturer are going to start including redundant, low-quality front-facing cameras, because the technologically illiterate will now demand them. That's a little bit of space that could be put to better use, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

djgaillimh wrote: »
    Steve Jobs can iSuck my balls.

Hahahaha! you made coffee come out of my nose! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

thanks for the input. I guess hearing the differences back doesn't make it sound better at all really.

I thought OS 4 was going to introduce multitasking though so once that's out, that won't be an issue? You're right though about the app lists, having the widgets and everything on my HTC is brilliant for me, just being able to swipe to the left to look at my calendar while I'm on a phonecall to somebody to check a date, or being able to simply swipe to the right to look at my emails is brilliant and I definitely wouldn't like the iphone UI in comparison.

I've had front facing cameras on some phones before and even if the networks here were set up for it, I don't think I'd ever want to use it anyway! It may come in handy one in every 5,000 phone calls if you need somebodies advice on something or other you're looking at but I can't imagine people will want to get on camera when they've just woken up/driving/in the toilet/cooking etc.

The hardware buttons are also a big plus for the desire.

I know myself that the desire for me is definitely better and I'm sure for a lot of people who don't know about it, it would be too, with the 3Gs it was easy to advise people to opt for the much better choice of HTC, with the 4, it may be a bit more difficult even if it still suits their needs better.

Can you choose to sync one group only on the iPhone? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

There are definately a few wins for the iPhone (longer battery life and Wireless N) but when you are so hamstrung as to what you can do with the fone, it just isnt worth bothering about.
    I think the people here using Android would have a hard time with an iPhone as we're so used to the "freedom" to do what we want with our devices.
    iPhones are just smartphones for the tech-illiterate.

What's wireless N? :)

Is the iPhone 4 battery replaceable as the Desires is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

cormie wrote: »

Good point, well made :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

Absolutely. For the bargain price of $79 (minus shipping). Oh and you can't do it yourself or you'll void the warranty, so you'll also be without a phone for two weeks.

actually, does anyone know where you can get a replacement battery for the desire? Would be handy to have one! Or a few if they are cheap enough :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've had front facing cameras on some phones before and even if the networks here were set up for it, I don't think I'd ever want to use it anyway! It may come in handy one in every 5,000 phone calls if you need somebodies advice on something or other you're looking at but I can't imagine people will want to get on camera when they've just woken up/driving/in the toilet/cooking etc.
    It only works on wifi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I question the need for Wireless N tbh on a phone as things stand today.

You can stream 720p, which imo is the max res you'd ever want to consider on the iphones 3.x" screen, perfectly well over Wireless G.

Wireless G is faster than your internet, so N offers nothing over G in that regard.

And the iPhone is genreally not intended for moving large files around over your wifi which is what N really shines at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Nice hardware, shame about the software..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

actually, does anyone know where you can get a replacement battery for the desire? Would be handy to have one! Or a few if they are cheap enough :D
    Still waiting on Clove to send out mine which I ordered along with my Desire.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Del2005 wrote: »
    It only works on wifi

Thats because no mobile carriers support the feature yet on iphone. That will change next year.

Still though, I got my 3gs around 4 months ago and I can't see myself going to the next model in a years time, iphone 5 whatever. You have to jailbreak an iphone to open it up.

I'll be considering the latest HTC model in 8 months or so when my contract is up over a new iphone. I think the Android platform has alot more going for it and far more potential than the Apple iOS in the long run.

Jaysus, if this is the right one, and a good one, it's a lot cheaper than I imagined it to be! http://www.amazon.co.uk/FoneM8-1400mAh-Battery-Lifetime-Warranty/dp/B003L08FAI/ref=sr_1_1/277-1668806-3122350?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276160770&sr=8-1

Anyone know if that would be decent? Better/Worse than the stock included one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

While 720p sounds impressive on paper, I've never found the idea of high-res video on a phone that much of a draw. It's a phone. I never intend to watch any decent movie on a screen that's small enough to fit into my pocket. And for youtube clips, they don't really require resolution that high. The iPhone 4 really isn't that impressive. It's a polished turd. Nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/iphone-4-vs-the-smartphone-elite-evo-4g-n8-pre-plus-and-hd2/

Gives a pretty good comparison of the top phones currently out.

That said dual core 1.2 snapdragon processors are now being shipped (to who though is another question) so we should be finally starting to see more powerful android phones soon enough and as stated already dual core 1.5 processors may be here by christmas.

Couple that with the fact that I think android 2.2 is better then iOS 4 and that Gingerbread (due about christmas as well) should be an even better step up I think that by end of year the iphone maybe quiet easily surpassed by a number of better phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The iphone 4 is a really cool looking phone but the fact its mostly made out of glass would make me paranoid about it getting damaged.

The OS really needs an update at this point but I honestly don't see this ever happening due to the fact Apple like to keep things simple so dummies can use it. The new hi res screen looks sweet but is it really going to make that big a difference on a 3 inch screen compared to current smartphone displays which are no slouch in the looks department?

The hype about the front facing camera is lost on me tbh due to having this feature on my last 3 phones and never using it nor did anyone else I know. Apple have amazing PR and will hype up under a new name features that other phones have had for years as the greatest thing ever.

The fact its such a closed system in both apps and customization is another major downside as far as Im concerned.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Well I had my heart set on buying the Desire this weekend and when I heard the iphone 4 was being released I thought that might change my mind...it didn't.

After watching the launch I could have slapped myself for even considering it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

http://www.mugen-power-batteries.com/mugen-power-extended-battery-for-htc-desire-a8181-with-battery-cover-in-brown-3200mah.html

I have a desktop cradle/charger that takes a second battery, but I haven't bought (or to be honest, needed) one yet.

720p Recording - Phones are good for snapping video of your mates while you are on the piss, nothing more really. There is no optical zoom, and anything more than a few feet away gradually becomes a spec on the screen.

720p Playback - Whilst 720p playback looks great on my iPad, I question the need for it on an iPhone with a 3.x" Screen, especially given its comes in at around 1.5Gb per hour. And it comes with all the usual iPhone caveats such as having to convert it to mp4 to play it and the fact that HD takes much longer to re-encode then SD.

Video Calling - Wifi only, so meh, if you are at home and like video calling use your PC and a webcam. My N95 had this years ago, it was fun the one time I used it....and it worked on 3G back then......not just wifi

Wireless N - I question the need for Wireless N tbh on a phone as things stand today. You can stream 720p, which imo is the max res you'd ever want to consider on the iphones 3.x" screen, perfectly well over Wireless G. Wireless G is faster than your internet, so N offers nothing over G in that regard. And the iPhone is genreally not intended for moving large files around over your wifi which is what N really shines at.

iMovie - like seriously who's gonna edit movie on their phone? I have an iPad with iWorks - notes, numbers and keynote, and bar reading MS Office stuff on the go, there is no way on earth I use the crippled inputs of an iPad / iPhone for creating Spreadsheets, Presentations or Word Docs. the same will hold true for the iPhone and iMovie, but unlike the ipad, you'll have to try and edit movies on a screen 4 times or so smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I like the idea of having a front facing camera, even if it is just for skype when i'm on wifi. Granted I had one on my old N95 but never used it but I think that is because there was never an app that I found that could use it for skype/fring/gizmodo etc.

I do a lot of tasks on my htc desire that I used to use my laptop for so using it for skype would be another one.

Whether I would use it enough to justify it is another story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

axer wrote: »
    I like the idea of having a front facing camera, even if it is just for skype when i'm on wifi. Granted I had one on my old N95 but never used it but I think that is because there was never an app that I found that could use it for skype/fring/gizmodo etc.

I do a lot of tasks on my htc desire that I used to use my laptop for so using it for skype would be another one.

Whether I would use it enough to justify it is another story.
    Not to mention that vga cameras make for one horrible webcam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

Inquitus wrote: »
    I question the need for Wireless N tbh on a phone as things stand today.

You can stream 720p, which imo is the max res you'd ever want to consider on the iphones 3.x" screen, perfectly well over Wireless G.

Wireless G is faster than your internet, so N offers nothing over G in that regard.

well wireless N increases the range of G to another couple of hundred meters (under ideal conditions) which is not to be sniffed at.

I thought I read somewhere that the nexus/desire actually have N radio on the chip just not enabled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

iPhone vs. Android Showdown: Which Phone Is Best for Power Users?

http://lifehacker.com/5559357/iphone-vs-android-showdown-which-phone-is-best-for-power-users

The result was
    13:11 to Android

Few points I have with the scoring system, the multitasking category one is a bit silly as he gives it a tie despite iOS not having true multitasking and downplays the battery life of androids again despite having it already marked down in another separate category.

Web browsing category was also a bit controversial to me as the whole adobe flash issue wasn't considered a major scoring point. Still he does admit the whole score system was power user orientated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

yimrsg wrote: »
    iPhone vs. Android Showdown: Which Phone Is Best for Power Users?

http://lifehacker.com/5559357/iphone-vs-android-showdown-which-phone-is-best-for-power-users

The result was
    13:11 to Android

Few points I have with the scoring system, the multitasking category one is a bit silly as he gives it a tie despite iOS not having true multitasking and downplays the battery life of androids again despite having it already marked down in another separate category.

Web browsing category was also a bit controversial to me as the whole adobe flash issue wasn't considered a major scoring point. Still he does admit the whole score system was power user orientated.
    I think it is pretty clear that Android is for power users and iPhone for non techy people who are happy to sacrifice control over simplistic use (although I would argue that the HTC Desire is simple to use).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I think a lot of people like Android because the handsets are generally cheaper, too.

The new O2 iphone tariffs are out in the UK

http://shop.o2.co.uk/new-iphone/tariffs.html

They are fecking horrific! usually the Uk provides better value than Ireland, I hate to see what tariffs they demand for iPhone 4 here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's arrival has forced O2 UK to change their Unlimited Data allowance too. I'm not impressed.

From October I'll be limited to 500 MB on my Desire and it's an extra £5 to top it up by another 500MB.

Had to download 3G watchdog today in preparation. :(

Advertisement