Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgot about parking ticket, instant summons... no warning/reminder!

Options
  • 03-06-2009 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Just got a summons today for not paying a parking fine. Aren't they supposed to give you a warning or reminder first? It came as a shock to me since I had forgotten about it and I don't even have that car anymore!

Aren't I supposed to get a reminder letter and not get sent straight to court!!!! That's ridiculous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But you had the ticket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

I don't know what happened to the ticket, but I did have it before, yes. I just thought it was common practice to issue a reminder to the the ticket holder, then raise the fine by 50%, then issue summons? Not proceed from ticket issue --> summons!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Buffman

I'd say go to court and just explain what happened. I'd say a ~€100 fine at worst.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

That's very unfair. I'm not going to sue somebody who owes me 40 quid. I'd ring them up and say "eh, Jimmy, any chance of that 40 quid?"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'd ignore it...good chance they'll never follow it up.
    I got one about 5 years ago..never bothered my ass paying it..
    It went to court..fined for €180..
    I wasn't there and never paid it..never got a letter since :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Overblood wrote: »
    That's very unfair. I'm not going to sue somebody who owes me 40 quid. I'd ring them up and say "eh, Jimmy, any chance of that 40 quid?"

if 100,000 people owed you money, imagine the cost and hassle of ringing them all up!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I would recommend contacting the council that issued the ticket and explaining that you never got the reminders, they maybe able to sort it out for you.

Or just go to the court and explain it to the judge. However don't expect to get off, but it'll probably only be a small fine.

Don't not go to the court summons, you don't want that sort of thing on your record.

tbh wrote: »
    if 100,000 people owed you money, imagine the cost and hassle of ringing them all up!

Cost of a phonecall/letter: 1euro

Cost of bringing somebody to court: A few hundred maybe?

Anyway, I contacted the council in question and explained that I never recieved a reminder letter or an increase of fine notice. They said I should have recieved them but for some unknown reason I didn't. They said they'd retract the summons and I can just pay the fine as normal. Sweet.

Cost of a phonecall/letter: 1euro

Cost of bringing somebody to court: A few hundred maybe?
    yeah, but they pay for the phone call, you pay the court costs :)

Anyway, I contacted the council in question and explained that I never recieved a reminder letter or an increase of fine notice. They said I should have recieved them but for some unknown reason I didn't. They said they'd retract the summons and I can just pay the fine as normal. Sweet.

good news - glad it worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

They said they'd retract the summons and I can just pay the fine as normal. Sweet.

Is this because the ticket money is going to the council, while any court fine would go to the central govt....

I know RTÉ let you pay for a television license until about an hour before a court case as they get the money, not the state for this reason.

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    yeah, but they pay for the phone call, you pay the court costs :)

How much would that have cost me if it went to court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Gruffalo

This should always be the first step in that situation. It saves them a lot of hassle and time if you pay before they have to go to court, so most companies / govt bodies would be to settle it up before you have to go to court.

Buffman wrote: »
    I'd say go to court and just explain what happened. I'd say a ~€100 fine at worst.

By the way, thanks for NOTHIN' Buffman:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Just got a summons today for not paying a parking fine. Aren't they supposed to give you a warning or reminder first? It came as a shock to me since I had forgotten about it and I don't even have that car anymore!

Aren't I supposed to get a reminder letter and not get sent straight to court!!!! That's ridiculous.

The same thing happened me. I went 2 court and got €200 fine now i always pay my bills etc straight away i learn't my leason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Buffman

By the way, thanks for NOTHIN' Buffman:pac:

No problem, hopefully you'll be towed away next time!:p

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

How much would that have cost me if it went to court?
    dunno man....
    A few hundred maybe?

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Cleopatra12

I got summonsed over a parking ticket. Forgot to pay it. Got fined €170 in total... Never again!

I got summonsed over a parking ticket. Forgot to pay it. Got fined €170 in total... Never again!

How much did the whole thing cost you? Legal fees and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Cleopatra12

No real legal fees... You dont need a solicitor. Just go along, stand up in front of judge (scary) tell him your story, apologise for not paying and then you get the fine. tbh, i cant remember the breakdown exactly, but it was around 170 quid in total. I know it was not more than 200....

Advertisement