Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand + Voice Tremor

Options
  • 04-03-2014 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi All,

I suffer with essential tremor in my hands and sometimes voice.

The doctor told me there is nothing I can do about it and it is not an illness or serious concern. As anyone who suffers with this knows how difficult and embarrassing the most basic things in life can be on a daily basis. The only thing I noticed made any difference to the tremor was alcohol, which is not sustainable unfortunately.

I am 33 now and my new job involves a lot of large team meetings which are becoming hell for me as I do not want to participate with fear of my voice sounding shaky. Sometimes I avoid the first 10mins of the meetings where people introduce themselves as when I speak it nearly sounds like I'm going to cry. I have never done a presentation in college or work as I just could not face the humilation of a class of 30/40 people laughing or feeling sorry for you. Instead I choose to lose marks on the chosen subject which I am not proud of.

Does anyone who understands this condition know of anything which might ease the tremor. As soon as I go to speak it is like my heart rate increases a thousand times and it has moved from my chest into my mouth. Before i started this job I had an interview with a certain bank and their feedback was that "I had a medical condition that wouldn't suit the job". This was due to me being so nervous that it was completley tragic and humiliating interview.

Outside of these experiences I can pretty much completley hide the tremor but I wish there was something that could ease the pressure it is putting me under. Is there a relaxant or tablet that makes a difference.

Feedback on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

I have suffered with this all my life, I used to drea going to the barbers.

Unfortunately I discovered for myself that alcohol, stopped the shaking etc, but that led me to being an alcoholic.

I asked my doc if there was anything he could give me, he sent me to a neurologist, I was about 43 then, I was diagnosed with a benign essential tremor.

My doc prescribed propananol a beta blocker for me, it was like a miracle, it stopped the shaking and trembling. It had the side effect of making me less motivated tho.

I'm 64 now, and I stopped taking the beta blockers as they made me too unmotivated.

I still tremble but I try not to worry about it.

Best advice is ask your doctor.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 32 grangegorman

colrow wrote: »
    I have suffered with this all my life, I used to drea going to the barbers.

Unfortunately I discovered for myself that alcohol, stopped the shaking etc, but that led me to being an alcoholic.

I asked my doc if there was anything he could give me, he sent me to a neurologist, I was about 43 then, I was diagnosed with a benign essential tremor.

My doc prescribed propananol a beta blocker for me, it was like a miracle, it stopped the shaking and trembling. It had the side effect of making me less motivated tho.

I'm 64 now, and I stopped taking the beta blockers as they made me too unmotivated.

I still tremble but I try not to worry about it.

Best advice is ask your doctor.

Good luck

Hi,

Thank you for your story and sharing.

Best not to worry about it and try not let it effect what you want to do.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Beta blockers will help. Try the lowest dose possible to start. Alternatively a low dose of a sedative like vslium or xanax will help. If your gp will not prescribe for you ask for a referral to a mental health clinic for treatment of anxiety. Seeing a counsellor would also be useful. They may be able to provide you with techniques to control the anxiety. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭dan1

Hi Were you never referred to a neuroligist or did the doc not think your tremor was serious enough

• Advertisement

I was referred to a Neurologist, and he diagnosed Benign Essential Tremor, then my doc started me on propananol

Advertisement