Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet or Laptop?

Options
  • 19-01-2014 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi lads,

Just wanted your opinions on whether I should buy a tablet or laptop? I don't own either and I don't have a desktop pc. I have an iphone alright.
    I'd be using for general browsing etc. Not into gaming and it's not for work etc
    I've heard limitations of each one but just wondering if you had to choose one over the other which should I buy?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

AD! wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Just wanted your opinions on whether I should buy a tablet or laptop? I don't own either and I don't have a desktop pc. I have an iphone alright.
    I'd be using for general browsing etc. Not into gaming and it's not for work etc
    I've heard limitations of each one but just wondering if you had to choose one over the other which should I buy?

Thanks

If it's just browsing then a tablet is the way to go. More portable than a laptop and better battery life. Quicker boot time.

If you are looking to manage large music collections, photos or movies it may be better to get a laptop as you will have much greater capacity for storage. If you go the tablet route then I'd recommend a 10" as the closest to laptop size screen. You may want to get one with HDMI out if you plan on hooking it up to your TV. Also if you chhose a tablet over a laptop don't go for the budget models. Your minimum spend should be around €250 up to Ipad and Surface prices. (Of course you can get excellent 7" tablets for a bit less than that, Google Nexus etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AD!

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of getting a surface 2 as it seems to have good battery life and ms office pre installed. One thing I'm not sure of is the Microsoft apps that you have to use with the surface. I read online that you can't install iTunes for instance.
    There seems to be huge choice out there at the moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭legrand

If Windows RT tablet then you are limited to what is on the Microsoft Store.

You would need Windows Surface Pro (or other OEM.. Lenovo, Asus etc).

Some listings here (note some of these are RT only)
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/tablets

here's a comparison and explanatory review that might be of help if Windows tablet is where you want to go..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49SngOGBWgk&feature=c4-overview&list=UUW6J17hZ_Vgr6cQgd_kHt5A

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

It depends on need. For spending more times with computer language, laptop is preferred. If you are interested for surfing, mail access or discussion on topic then tablet can prefer.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies so far. What I don't really get is that comparing the figures and performance of a laptop vs tablet the laptop always seems to be so much better. Laptop usually has 4 mb + ram and much larger storage. The one area that's hard to judge is the processor as they all run different types

I'm just wondering from a value for money point of view would the laptop be the way to go. Especially as the hardware seems better

There's little point comparing the specific spec's and performance - current device (pc or tablet) performance are fine in their respective areas (if you stick to mid-range and above with known OEMs).

I have both laptop and tablet. I use the former for more intensive typing or detailed online work, I access my photo/music library there etc.

Some or indeed most of these can be done on a tablet also but in the main the tablet use is for quick and easy access to the web for news/movies/youtube/email etc. All the stuff you probably do on you iPhone but on a more practical form factor.

On a general note my usage of about 75% tablet and 25% laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

AD! wrote: »
    I'm just wondering from a value for money point of view would the laptop be the way to go. Especially as the hardware seems better

As Legrand says abaove it's a bit of a moot point to compare them. You certainly get more 'bang for your buck' with a laptop vs tablet, much the same as desktop pc vs laptop but the trade off is in portability and power consumption. Thinner and lighter is nearly always more expensive but not more powerful/economical.

Last question so (hopefully). I think I have made my mind up on the surface 2 - not pro cos I can't afford that.
    Where should I buy or more importantly anywhere I shouldn't buy??

I've used komplett.ie, amazon.co.uk, pixmania.ie, laptopsdirect.ie (personally never had a issue with any of these). Check pricing against PCworld / Currys

You do understand the limitations with Windows RT? (in essence, only apps found on Microsoft store can be installed - http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-8/apps#Cat=t1)

Hope you enjoy it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement