Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bios password - Dell 6400 - help :-(

Options
  • 21-11-2013 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭

Not stolen, not hookie in any way. A colleague wants me to wipe an old laptop for him and run a fresh install of win 7. Problem is that although I can access the bios pass to get to OS, I cannot change the boot sequence to enable CD boot, as this requires admin access. Any ideas folks ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Have you tried just calling dell support?

I know there in India but the should be able to unlock it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Removing the CMOS battery for 5 mins usually resets all bios settings including passwords.
    Google how to do it for your machine. Simple on a desktop, I've never done it on a laptop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Removing the CMOS battery for 5 mins usually resets all bios settings including passwords.
    Google how to do it for your machine. Simple on a desktop, I've never done it on a laptop though.

This probably wouldn't work but might be worth trying. Disconnect hardrive and boot. Bios might boot from CD after not finding hd. Re-connect hd and see if it is detected. (As I say this probably won't work)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DaveR1000

try pressing f12 on boot - it may give a boot menu

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

not a chance

most Laptops over the last 20 years have stored their passwords in non-volatile memory, because it reduces their value if stolen , flash or silimar

NB. on some laptops you can wipe the flash, but on IBM thinkpads this will mean you also wipe the checksum so you esentially brick it unless you can reprogram the flash

In the past Dell would require you to prove you owned the laptop to give you a password, and even then there was no guarantee it would work

Check if pressing F12 will allow you to PXE boot or choose USB

Check if there is a recovery partition , do a factory reset for a cleanish install and then upgrade it

• Advertisement

Clearing the CMOS won't help on Dell laptops, the password is held in NVRAM as an anti-theft measure. You might be able to get around it by pressing the F12 key to enter the boot menu, if it hasn't been disabled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 williamdonohoe

remove RAM remove battery remove internal battery remove hard drive plug in power cord turn laptop on then power off reinstall all components this should clear the password hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

remove RAM remove battery remove internal battery remove hard drive plug in power cord turn laptop on then power off reinstall all components this should clear the password

No, this will not clear the BIOS password

You will need a new master key. This is based on your Dell service tag. Dell can provide this. Alternatively there are some "friendly" people out there on some forums that will generate a key for you. Or provide you with some code you can run yourself to generate a key. I doubt if the last 2 options are fully kosher though :)

Advertisement