Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merrion Gates. Why Do they Still Exist?

Options
  • 06-09-2010 1:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

This has always been a great mystery to me. Why is this level crossing still on the network and not tunnelled under? The road that is. Like they do in London and Paris send the road traffic under the railway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67674733&postcount=10
    The houses on one side would still need to be connected to a road. I don't really see the space for a tunnel and access road side by side without taking over the carparks and greens there, which will not go down well with locals. Also for a tunnel to merge with the rock road is a similar issue. Its going to have to be at least 7-8 metres deep to accommodate the largest vehicles (busy truck route) and have the required roof bits and pieces (fan, lights, cameras, piping) so with that kind of height change it would be difficult.

Raising the track would help of course but rail can only be raised by a 1:30 gradient at limit of practicality, more likely 1:50 for such a busy route. With stations so close this again becomes very difficult or impossible.

The cost to do this these days versus benefits would come out prohibitive also I reckon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

then why not be damned and close the level crossing completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

then why not be damned and close the level crossing completely?
    because its a major road...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is also the matter that the area is at risk of flooding from the sea.

Ideally, one would raise the railway knock the petrol station and the Jacobs building, build an overpass and allow Jacobs replace their building, possibly with a taller, more slender one.

€25m+ and land costs, although it would mean that you could probably also close Sydney Parade gates or put in a low bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

And it is doable, for example if you look between Lansdowne Road LC and Bath avenue the PW goes from an LC at grade to an overbridge, admittedly not a very high overbridge but one all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

trellheim wrote: »
    And it is doable, for example if you look between Lansdowne Road LC and Bath avenue the PW goes from an LC at grade to an overbridge, admittedly not a very high overbridge but one all the same.
    They could probably get a gang of lads in and get it all done over a long weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭xper

Any standalone enginering solution for the Merrion Gates would have to be fairly elaborate, cost a chunk and be lengthy and disruptive to build. Justifying it to the public could be tricky.

On the other hand, I would speculate that somewhere on the back of several envelopes, the eastern bypass plans incorporate a solution to the Merrion Gates issue and would be put forward a as strong selling point for that project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

This has always been a great mystery to me. Why is this level crossing still on the network and not tunnelled under? The road that is. Like they do in London and Paris send the road traffic under the railway.

Um, maybe because our government is about as useful as a pile of dogsh!t?

Perhaps if the Germans invade it will happen.. *fingers xd*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Given the flooding in the area I'd say elevate the track (although there would be predictable outcry about privacy) or build out the seawall and extend Strand Road down the shoreline parallel to the track, ramping up to an elevated curve across to Rock Road. The thing I like about the second option is it has minimal effect on the rail service during construction and means the rail track is not the first thing the sea hits during storms over that section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

A Bridgway flyover, like the one at the Hogarth Roundabout in Chiswick would be the best short term bet I reckon.

Not sure what the locals would make of it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

In many other countries they raised the tracks, including the stations, many years ago to allow road traffic to continue through bridges. I always wonder why this is rarely done in Dublin (and the whole of Ireland really).

The crossings between road and rail traffic should be kept to an absolute minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭dowlingm

bigar - since there is nowhere to run temporary track around the construction area, elevating the track would require a lengthy closure. Think Malahide Viaduct - at least.

Advertisement