Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginning Sea Fishing

Options
  • 01-07-2010 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I'm considering trying some sea fishing, the thing is i've never sea fished before and I was planning on fishing from the shore in galway, probably salthill or barna.

ive a sea rod and reel and a few bit of gear what kind of fish would be possible to catch from the shore

do i use a float or not

any advise appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jonnyj

Jacknife, im in the same boat just starting to sea fish. I was advised to start fishing for mackerel off the rocks or pier using feathers and a 2oz weight (still haven't caught any yet though apparently they are a few weeks behind). Its supposed to be great craic and very easy fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭jacknife

jonnyj wrote: »
    Jacknife, im in the same boat just starting to sea fish. I was advised to start fishing for mackerel off the rocks or pier using feathers and a 2oz weight (still haven't caught any yet though apparently they are a few weeks behind). Its supposed to be great craic and very easy fishing.

do you cast the feathers out and reel them in or leave them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

jacknife wrote: »
    do you cast the feathers out and reel them in or leave them out?

You reel them in by draws the rod back and then reeling towards the water. Its hard to explain in words but you'll see others doing it and get the hang of it in no time.

Good luck

Advertisement