Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help With CFW PS3 HDD upgrade

• 09-04-2014 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I'm finally gonna try get around to upgrading the HDD on my cfw PS3 tomorrow. I didn't mod console so I'm a bit clueless re what to do. I don't have the console long so there are literally no games saves or anything that I'd particularly care about but I'm a small bit puzzled by the following. I've read mixed reports online but was wondering does anyone know if this will work......

I remove existing hdd (have done nothing to console) and stick in the new one. the console reformat s the new drive and sets it up. then I have a cfw PS3 and just need get the pkgs for existing programs on it now to return it to its current state with a bigger hdd.... (Will this be the case/work)

Or I know there is no file backup facility for the cfw but there are seperate apps. could I backup the relevant data on existing drive (5/6 gigs is all that's used) and simply copy it back on rather than reinstalling the apps on the cfw using pkgs? And if I can what are the relevant folders?

I'm just scared of going at it because I want to have all the same apps/programs I have now and not a cfw PS3 I haven't the slightest clue of how to put it back the way it was. installing pkgs seems harmless but I dint know where to look for half the stuff I have now and are all settings by default etc. or do they need to be altered?

Is putting old drive in an external caddy n coping over that way an option for example?

hope Ye can help. really wanna have this sorted before I go into hospital as won't be up to doing any of this messing after operation for a long few months after.

Al

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Alter Egotist

currently using comgenies awesome filemanager to backup/copy dev_hdd0 to external hdd. Is this all i need? or should i copy app_home, host_root, dev_flash, dev_flash2 and dev_flash3 also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

[While PS3 OFFLINE]

Download official 3.55 ps3 firmware acquired from the internet, install it via the recovery option. upgrade to new hard drive.... re-hack the ps3 with kmeaw 3.55 cfw.
    Your good to go, add pkgs as you like

cool thanks so much for the reply. sorry again for questions but what pkgs am i looking for? and this is gonna sound silly but do i have to download 3.55? wont the cfw automatically stay in the nor/nand and load up the cfw onto the new drive? im literally here with a drip in my hand and a new hdd and ps3 infront of me on hospital bed. thank got for the private room. gonna dismantle old ps3 and put new external case on it tonight if im up to it and have enough info will try sticking the new hdd in it tonight also.

Al.

Well I dont know what pkgs you have or want...?

If you just want to play your existing backed up games, off your newly upgraded hdd, you must follow the steps Ive outlined in post 3, and in another thread you made before. You needn't install any extra pkgs if you dont want to.

You will not be able to initialise the new hard drive while running a custom firmware...

That is why you must put it back to stock 3.55 (nothing over 3.55 or your goosed) firmware first...You must re-flash with the exact 3.55 version of the official stock firmware, you do this using the recovery option of ps3

then upgrade to your mew hard drive, ps3 will do some wizardy on the new hdd...

Then you can re-jailbreak again, using Kmeaw CFW

Get well soon. :)

ETA: always double check the md5 of the official 3.55 you download, you wont get of sony any more, so you want to be sure it actually 3.55 before you use it, :)
    888743a32a40c9a1e3656fc0ef590859  PS3 Official Firmware 3.55 RETAIL/CEX (Incremental Patch from 3.50 to 3.55)
    ca595ad9f3af8f1491d9c9b6921a8c61  PS3 Official Firmware 3.55 RETAIL/CEX (OFW 3.55) [CFW compatible]
    397264645a117227ea9bd06fba2df289  PS3 Official Firmware 3.55 RETAIL/CEX (OFW 3.55) [disc dump]

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Well I dont know what pkgs you have or want...?

If you just want to play your existing backed up games, off your newly upgraded hdd, you must follow the steps Ive outlined in post 3, and in another thread you made before. You needn't install any extra pkgs if you dont want to.

You will not be able to initialise the new hard drive while running a custom firmware...

That is why you must put it back to stock 3.55 (nothing over 3.55 or your goosed) firmware first...You must re-flash with the exact 3.55 version of the official stock firmware, you do this using the recovery option of ps3

then upgrade to your mew hard drive, ps3 will do some wizardy on the new hdd...

Then you can re-jailbreak again, using Kmeaw CFW

Get well soon. :)

ETA: always double check the md5 of the official 3.55 you download, you wont get of sony any more, so you want to be sure it actually 3.55 before you use it, :)
    888743a32a40c9a1e3656fc0ef590859  PS3 Official Firmware 3.55 RETAIL/CEX (Incremental Patch from 3.50 to 3.55)
    ca595ad9f3af8f1491d9c9b6921a8c61  PS3 Official Firmware 3.55 RETAIL/CEX (OFW 3.55) [CFW compatible]
    397264645a117227ea9bd06fba2df289  PS3 Official Firmware 3.55 RETAIL/CEX (OFW 3.55) [disc dump]

thanks for the good wishes. i probably wont be able to download the required files or have enough "lucid" time to get it sorted. pretty much chickening out because im afraid of making an expensive mistake and becuase il be doped up for a while. nearly broke the console last night sticking the new case on it. Have half lined up someone to mod the console for me but open to offers if someone else wants to do it for me?

Al.

• Advertisement

Check out here bud, there maybe someone in your area to help you out :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055478489

These guys as well http://consolerepairs.ie/ they do a mail service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭budman9

You can easy swap HDD's when you are on CFW. Just put new HDD and install same CFW you are on now. I can help you, PM me if you are interested.

Advertisement