Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having trouble continous swimmimg

Options
  • 01-04-2014 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Last September I took swimming lessons to properly learn the front crawl with breathing etc. I swim twice a week in the mornings and have gotten better with time. My main problem is that I feel i am running out of breath. When i first get in I can do 4 Lengths (25m pool). After that I can only do 2 Lengths before I feel like I am out of breath. I then take about thirty-40 seconds break to catch my breath. I cycle to work 5 k each way every day and also do some running so i'm fairly fit. I am breathing out correctly under the water, I take the breathe and as soon as my face hits the water again I am breathing out for the next three strokes and then another breathe.( I've researched breathing techniques a lot as you can imagine) I guess I do feel i'm improving but I just can't seem to break this barrier!! Is this normal? Has anyone any advice to help me get though it?!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

I am guessing that you are either exhaling too much or too little and not getting what you need when you try to get a breath.

A good practice is to breathe every three strokes and say the word bubble for every stroke you aren't breathing - this will automatically exhale just enough as well as achieve a few other desirable outcomes (stroke balance etc)

This tip comes from swim smooth and they talk about a swimming mantra to help cover distance

"bubble - bubble" - breathe - "bubble - bubble" - breathe - "bubble - bubble" - breathe ...etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Good comment from Freddio there, It sounds like when you turn for a breath, that you have exhaled everything and are gasping for breath. Not a good thing.

Try letting the air trickle out as Freddio suggested.

What is your stroke count for 25m ?

This could be a factor also, you may be chopping the stroke and pulling hard instead of stretching it out and allowing for a steady sustainable rhythm. I'd also build in some gliding work (with a kick-board) so you get a feel for it.

Stroke count should definitely be less than 20, and you should be aiming for 15-17 if you are looking to train for distance.

Also, keep in mind that the first 5-8 minutes of your swim is still part of the warm-up phase of exercise, until you've had the heart rate in the aerobic zone for a solid 5 minutes, and let it recover a little bit, you will still be in the phase where you tire rapidly and feel a bit bleaugh. Lower the intensity for that 5 minutes and cruise through it, when you take your first rest you'll be through it and ready to get the set done. If you don't do this and are prone to just motoring along, you'll find that the adjustment period from low intensity to aerobic intensity takes a lot longer (can take up to 15 minutes if you try and force it)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Thanks Lads

Great to get some helpful advice. I will try out these suggestions. Not sure about stroke count tbh i never counted but I will now! I was following swim smooths advice with regards to the breathing. They have a thing about sinking yourself in the deep end to show yourself how much breath you need to expend when exhaling while swimming. I'm not pushing all the air out too early though I feel. I am just doing a constant flow but in the end it just feels like I'm out of breathe. Its weird but hopefully if i stick with it it will improve. I won't do the 4 lengths first off so as not to tire myself out straight away and see how it goes.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Swim smooth is very good I think. I kind of have similar problem to you although part of my problem is a confidence issue. I was never confident in water only learned to swim in my twenties so I find it hard and a bit disconcerting to be out of breathe in the water compared to say running.

A slightly strange tip that I found help was to go to the steam room before swimming, I found that by already being warmed up was much easier to get into the flow of swimming rather than having that slow start.

I'd also say try swim slower, I know when I started I was very much sprinting to the end of each length, I'm no expert but try swim a few lengths as slow as you can without sinking and see how you get on.

Also don't forget if you have been cycling for years those muscles are far more used to aerobic workout than your arms would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'm having similar issues, I reckon it's just a matter of controlling the breathing more, exhaling slowly in water, trying to keep the breathing 'natural'. If you gasp for air when you surface, your body just wants to breathe faster, which sends that 'need to breathe' signal straight to brain when it can't inhale again straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jrby

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I'm having similar issues, I reckon it's just a matter of controlling the breathing more, exhaling slowly in water, trying to keep the breathing 'natural'. If you gasp for air when you surface, your body just wants to breathe faster, which sends that 'need to breathe' signal straight to brain when it can't inhale again straight away.

i had my second swimming lesson today at the age of 40 plus....and managed to do a length without stopping. I'm reasonablely fit, but after my first leson this week, i couldnt catch my breath for nearly an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

also having very similar issues with my breathing, I find once I find a rhythm it gets a little easier to push through. having said that, if i'm in a lane with even 3 or 4 other swimmers I find it almost impossible to get my breathing rhythm going - are there any tips for that i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Just practice/experience unfortunately. It can be very offputting at first but if you persevere it gets easier. You might be unsettled for a couple of strokes but if you focus you can normally regain control quickly and settle back into the zone. If you're anticipating traffic down one side for more than a stroke or two you could always switch to single-sided breathing and breathe 'away' from the traffic for a length. Handy to be able to switch at will from bilateral to unilateral on either side - and very handy in open water when the weather's being sh1tty to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Thanks for all the tips! Appreciate it. I have persevered and now i can continuosly swim the breastroke for twenty minutes or longer (easier breathing i guess), around 12-20 lenghts of the 25m. My freestyle which I am finding harder I can now do 6 laps followed by laps of 4. I think its just about building up stamina. Its hard but at least I can see some improvement!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Thanks for all the tips! Appreciate it. I have persevered and now i can continuosly swim the breastroke for twenty minutes or longer (easier breathing i guess), around 12-20 lenghts of the 25m. My freestyle which I am finding harder I can now do 6 laps followed by laps of 4. I think its just about building up stamina. Its hard but at least I can see some improvement!!

Well done,

I used to have terrible trouble with my breathing as well, the way a teacher sorted me was to have me stand in the shallow end with my feet planted on the ground, then lean over and put your face in the water while performing swimming motions with your arms, turning your head to each side to take your breath as needed. As the lads said, relaxed is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Mermaria

Hi
    ..... this barrier!! Is this normal? Has anyone any advice to help me get though it?!! ......

Yep, it's completely normal and happen to you when you're doing the other exercise. The difference is you're use to in the other sports but in swimming is a new experience.

My suggestion is trust in yourself, relax, slow down and repeat to yourself what you have told us here. You're fit and healthy.

Once you break this barrier, you can keep swimming and increasing the pace as you've never imagine you could have ever do. And then it's when your stroke will be mastered without you notice.

Cheers

Advertisement