Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for Krav Maga / self defence in Dundalk

• 14-03-2013 11:15pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a Krav Maga or some martial art that would be really useful for self defence in Dundalk. I have been told that Krav Maga is the best martial art for self defence I already did it for a few weeks in Dublin but it's too much hassle travelling up and down on the bus twice a week just for an hour long class.

I already tried google which the only place I could find was CKM Éire Home I emailed them a few times and got no response and the number on the website is disconnected.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Are you full set on Krav Maga ? There are martial arts clubs in Dundalk that would be better but a guy called Paul McGee is based from Dundalk and apparently he's one of the who's who of Krav Maga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭DonR8

Krav Maga is probably the best there is. There is a reason why most army's are trained in this, your best bit is Facebook, to see if they have a active page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

DonR8 wrote: »
    Krav Maga is probably the best there is
    snigger :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

stevie1122 wrote: »
    I have been told that Krav Maga is the best martial art for self defence.

Ok before this gets too out of hand.

Can I safely assume you heard this from A. a KM student/instructor B. Someone does not train in martial arts/combat sport C. Watching the bourne identity D. Some Krav Maga schools agressive marketting.

Because they're certainly the only places I hear that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I'd add that if people start debating the effectiveness of krav in this thread, it's not really help the guy find a class.

Stevie, instead of picking a style and then looking for a class, you'd probably be better off finding out what classes (regardless of style) are available first and then picking from those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You've this out in dunlaoighaire

https://www.facebook.com/FitnessHubIreland/info

is there the east coast kenpo club out that way too?

No idea what they're like

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Bambi wrote: »
    You've this out in dunlaoighaire

https://www.facebook.com/FitnessHubIreland/info

is there the east coast kenpo club out that way too?

No idea what they're like

Dunlaoghaire isn't exactly handy for Dundalk even if they do sound a bit similar ;)

OP, +1 on what Doug said. See what's local, try them out, and go with the one you like best. There's more to a good club than the name of the style they practise, you really need to check them out first hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

they're both in the same place as far as I'm concerned /northsider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

One is in Louth the other Dublin.

Good effort though.

i just hope you're not a taxi driver!!

• Advertisement

I'd add that if people start debating the effectiveness of krav in this thread, it's not really help the guy find a class.
    point taken on board Doug

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Irish Trader

I was the same looking for Krav Maga in Dundalk and i have recently found a great class in Dundalk..United Krav Maga Dundalk have classes twice a week and is traditional krav Maga not like the other stuff commando krav maga which i dont think is real krav maga from what ive read on the internet...You can find the club on facebook :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nowhere

Hi Irishtrader I'm currently a student at the ckm class in dundalk it's on tuesday and thursdays in Blackthorn business park and facebook page if you want to try it out. There is also a united class in the town run by a former student of the later with some bad blood, both charge by the month or class. As for the pros and cons of different martial arts the net is littered with politics and different claims it's really up to you to try a few and find what best suits you without listening to what are mostly non-practicing fanboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 artengo

What is a fanboy?
    I'm guessing it's a male who is a fan of someone/something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

As already stated are you dead set on KM?

I am not getting into a debate on KM versus other MA's but I think you should be open to others, KM gets a lot of hype and it may be justified but I think you should be open to others as KM might not be for you.

I know there are some really good MMA clubs in Dundalk and that general area that I would highly recommend that you try out along with KM and see which you prefer.

Advertisement